Ultimate space simulation software

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

Help with creating Mods and Addons

13 Jan 2019 10:13

I briefly did experiments with a spreadsheet, according what I have found by googling "opengl transformation matrix" but apparently I'm doing something wrong because I can't obtain the final matrix.
also I searched for rotation matrix

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotazione_(matematica)

and found the way for create x,y and z axis matrix, but by multiplying them I do not get the correct result (I suppose there is also a scale matrix)... for ships it's not a great problem but for stations it is.
Anyway, in my mod rotation is always multiples of 90 degrees, so there are 64 possibility (0, 90, 180, 270 for each axis). I'll create a matrix with the correct string for each possibility, once implemented as a variable the problem is solved, even if not very elegantly :-D

xingqiu1
Explorer
Explorer

15 Jan 2019 02:35

Who can help me, tell me how to change the color of the stars? SE comes with several kinds of luminescence I know, I want to create other colors of luminescence, as I created a green star, I want to let this star emit green light, how to do? Are there any methods and rules?
I have a way to create stars of all colors. How can I create stars of all colors?

ImageImage

MicahMathews
Observer
Observer

15 Jan 2019 03:58

Does anyone know how to export a whole star system?
How do you export a nebula?

I've been trying to search for an answer to this but come up blank. It looks like there was a way of doing it at some point in the past, but I'm not sure now how it's done.

I can't find a key command, and the star editor doesn't offer the option either.

I'm running on the Steam Beta atm.

Thanks for the help. :)
Micah Mathews
www.micahmathews.co.uk

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

15 Jan 2019 06:42

You can not export nebula in SE 0.980.

Whole systems are exported by selecting a system, then selecting 'Editor' from the main menu, then selecting 'Export system' and then clicking 'Export'.
scr00188.jpg
Attachments
scr00189.jpg
scr00190.jpg
scr00191.jpg
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

15 Jan 2019 07:03

tell me how to change the color of the stars?
I once made a green star, but I forgot. how I did that. It was as far as I can remember but only the atmosphere.
splash28.jpg
But I would like to know how you make a green star!
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

MicahMathews
Observer
Observer

15 Jan 2019 10:04

You can not export nebula in SE 0.980.

Whole systems are exported by selecting a system, then selecting 'Editor' from the main menu, then selecting 'Export system' and then clicking 'Export'.
scr00188.jpg
Thanks for that. I'd not realised the Export worked that well. I'm using the latest Steam Beta, but the basic layout was the same. I'm hoping Nebulae exports get included in the future... would help in working out how to set them up better. :)
Micah Mathews
www.micahmathews.co.uk

zhar22
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

15 Jan 2019 12:35

I need some help creating alpha maps for cube maps. is there a way I can create them separately with the cube mao facility as a greyscale map and then just change the _c prefix with _a and combining the neg,y,x,z & poz,y,x,z with the corresponding colour tiles? or do they need to be kept in separate files?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

15 Jan 2019 16:14

According the manual, SpaceEngine expects black and white images for alpha channel (water), not greyscale.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

15 Jan 2019 17:24

I wouldn't call them grayscale I use threshold in Photoshop to reduce it to solid black and solid white pixels. But it is still an RGB PNG. And yes just run that through Cube map and use a batch name-er to add the _a & _c suffixes, then put them in the same negx, posx etc folders. Don't forget to rename the 2 base maps too.

If you were more daring you could use GIMP to add an Alpha Channel using your B&W image, without that channel being changed by what is in the RGB channels. Sometimes I have trouble with Alpha Channels but GIMP can eventually do it. That way you have a single file instead of two different ones with different suffixes. You have to specify alpha channel export in Cube Map too. Maybe this saves in loading time or something but not worth it to me. In other words I've been unsuccessful.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

zhar22
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

15 Jan 2019 19:19

I wouldn't call them grayscale I use threshold in Photoshop to reduce it to solid black and solid white pixels. But it is still an RGB PNG. And yes just run that through Cube map and use a batch name-er to add the _a & _c suffixes, then put them in the same negx, posx etc folders. Don't forget to rename the 2 base maps too.

If you were more daring you could use GIMP to add an Alpha Channel using your B&W image, without that channel being changed by what is in the RGB channels. Sometimes I have trouble with Alpha Channels but GIMP can eventually do it. That way you have a single file instead of two different ones with different suffixes. You have to specify alpha channel export in Cube Map too. Maybe this saves in loading time or something but not worth it to me. In other words I've been unsuccessful.
Fantastic!. the second method will not be feasible as the images I use are extremely large but thank you!

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

16 Jan 2019 06:31

I once made a green star, but I forgot. how I did that. It was as far as I can remember but only the atmosphere.
splash28.jpg
But there are no such things as green or purple stars are there?  Although some binary stars seem that way because of optical illusions (like the companion of Antares and a star in Libra.)
A green star would actually be white because green is near the midpoint of the spectrum so all colors would be emitted nearly equally.

xingqiu1
Explorer
Explorer

16 Jan 2019 10:20

splash28.jpg
Add this code directly to the star script:
GlowColor (0.141, 0.960, 0.180)
After saving the script, turn on SE and adjust the "Night side lights" and "Bloom" options appropriately, you can see the effect.
Behind GlowColor is the RGB value of OpenGL, which changes the color of stars.

xingqiu1
Explorer
Explorer

16 Jan 2019 10:26

splash28.jpg
But there are no such things as green or purple stars are there?  Although some binary stars seem that way because of optical illusions (like the companion of Antares and a star in Libra.)
A green star would actually be white because green is near the midpoint of the spectrum so all colors would be emitted nearly equally.
Yes, I just want to know how to make green stars glow green.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

COMMUNITY ADDON - Catalog Fixes for SE

16 Jan 2019 21:46

Does that have procedural planets?
This is not possible. 
Double or multiple stars never have procedural planets. Only individual stars whose script is stored in 'catalogs\stars' have procedural planets. If a system uses a script in 'catalogs\planets', as is the case with double stars, the procedural generation of planets will be disabled.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

COMMUNITY ADDON - Catalog Fixes for SE

17 Jan 2019 04:29

Does that have procedural planets?
This is not possible. 
Double or multiple stars never have procedural planets. Only individual stars whose script is stored in 'catalogs\stars' have procedural planets. If a system uses a script in 'catalogs\planets', as is the case with double stars, the procedural generation of planets will be disabled.
Ah I was wondering about that because the only stars I have found that have planets that are part of multiple star systems are the ones saved when the program is first installed under favorites (like the one which lists triple sunset) or something like the alpha centauri system (but procedural planets become disabled when installing the "real" planets that were found there.)
JD, I just downloaded your Lalande 21185 planet add on and I notice it says it is for version 0.971- will it work the same way for version 0.980 and does it just need to be installed in the addon folder?