Ultimate space simulation software

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Help with creating Mods and Addons

13 Nov 2018 01:25

Someone on Reddit managed to give an atmosphere to an asteroid. Every time I do it, my game crashes. How do I get it to work?
Here is a terraformed Phobos:
scr00133.jpg
► Show Spoiler
TerraPhobos.sc
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
But if that works with your Intel graphics card, of course, I do not know. [hr] If you have a script of an asteroid where it does not work, maybe you can post it here.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

13 Nov 2018 02:55

Ok, I also did trial and error on my own as well, it seems the source of the crashing was forgetting to suppress aurora with the NoAurora true parameter. Thank you!
Attachments
scr01078.png
scr01077.png
Specs: STGAubron desktop PC; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 12 GB Vram, Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz, 12 cpus; 32 GB RAM; Windows 11 x64

BednarovPL
Observer
Observer

27 Nov 2018 04:58

Hi. I was wandering if anyone here can point me to a video or some other advice on how to make custom spaceships for SE 9.8.0? I'm not talking about the online ship editor tool. I want to model my ship, and texture it in Blender, and then extract it into space engine, set docking ports, engine placement/fx etc. Is this possible? I saw user [color=inherit][font=Roboto, sans-serif][size=100]HarbingerDawn[/size][/font][/color] has made/imported some ships from other sources. Thanks a lot for advice!

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Nov 2018 08:50

BednarovPL, a place to start is the section "Creating a ship" on the manual:
http://spaceengine.org/manual/making-ad ... ng-a-ship/
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

BednarovPL
Observer
Observer

30 Nov 2018 02:08

[quote="Mosfet"][ref]BednarovPL[/ref], a place to start is the section "Creating a ship" on the manual:
http://spaceengine.org/manual/making-ad ... ng-a-ship/[/quote]

Thank You! I searched for it but somehow couldn't find it! Have a good day!

MicahMathews
Observer
Observer

Slow Orbits

30 Nov 2018 13:20

I've been creating some star systems manually, but come across some issues with the orbits of some of the planets.

I've been letting the StarSolver figure out the orbital duration of the planets, but found that the orbit times have got crazy long.

One of the planets I put in (about 6000km and taken from a generated planet) has an orbit of 450000+ years, yet it's orbit is only 40 AU out.

At first I was thinking it was something to do with the Barycenter, but I'm now not so sure. Maybe I'm missing something. I use a Barycenter to create the relationship between a blackhole and red supergiant:
Star "Kalla B"
{
ParentBody "Kalla"
Class "M2 Ib" // spectral class "M1.5Iab-Ib"
Lum 9950.0 // luminosity, or
RadSol 720.5 // radius in Solar radii
MassSol 21 // mass in Solar masses
Teff 3650 // surface temperature in Kelvin
Orbit
{
SemiMajorAxis 7.1 // in AU
Eccentricity 0.0
Inclination 0.0
AscendingNode 0.0
ArgOfPericenter 0.0
MeanAnomaly 0.0
}
}

Star "Kalla A"
{
ParentBody "Kalla"
Class "X"
MassSol 15.0
RotationPeriod 1.0e-7
AccretionDisk
{
Radius 0.00002 // in AU
Temperature 3000 // in Kelvin
Luminosity 250 // in Solar luminosities
Brightness 1 // render brightness scale
Density 8
TwistMagn 60
}
Orbit
{
SemiMajorAxis 6.5 // in AU
Eccentricity 0.0
Inclination 0.0
AscendingNode 0.0
ArgOfPericenter 180.0
MeanAnomaly 0.0
}
}
Am I missing something. Betelgeuse is a comparable size (though a single star) and it's planets at 60AU orbits are between 100-200 years in length.
I then noticed that the orbits around a red dwarf in the same system seem fine, so I'm assuming it's something to do with the way the gravitational pull of the supergiant and the black hole is calculated? Have I thrown off a variable?
Can anyone point me in the direction of my mistakes?
PS (thanks in advance) :)
Micah Mathews
www.micahmathews.co.uk

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Slow Orbits

30 Nov 2018 14:04

You should not have opened a new thread for this question. Read the 'Forum rules'. For this we have this thread: Help with Creating Mods and Addons

To your question:
SpaceEngine incorrectly calculates orbital periods for binary systems. That is, when your stars orbits around a 'StarBarycenter'.
You have to calculate the periods by hand.
I did that for your stars. And I recalculated the 'SemiMajorAxes', based on the masses and the distance between the stars.
The more massive star must have the shorter 'SemiMajorAxis'!
// MicahMathews

Star "Kalla B"
{
    ParentBody  "Kalla"
    Class       "M2 Ib"                 // spectral class "M1.5Iab-Ib"
    Lum         9950.0                  // luminosity, or
    RadSol      720.5                   // radius in Solar radii
    MassSol     21                      // mass in Solar masses
    Teff        3650                    // surface temperature in Kelvin

Orbit
    {
        SemiMajorAxis   5.666667        //7.1 // in AU
        Period          8.35905364
        Eccentricity    0.0
        Inclination     0.0
        AscendingNode   0.0
        ArgOfPericenter 0.0
        MeanAnomaly     0.0
    }
}

Star "Kalla A"
{
    ParentBody  "Kalla"
    Class       "X"
    MassSol     15.0

RotationPeriod 1.0e-7

AccretionDisk
    {
        Radius      0.00002             // in AU
        Temperature 3000                // in Kelvin
        Luminosity  250                 // in Solar luminosities
        Brightness  1                   // render brightness scale
        Density     8
        TwistMagn   60
    }

Orbit
    {
        SemiMajorAxis   7.933333        //6.5 // in AU
        Period          8.35905364
        Eccentricity    0.0
        Inclination     0.0
        AscendingNode   0.0
        ArgOfPericenter 180.0
        MeanAnomaly     0.0
    }
}

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
scr00145.jpg
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

MicahMathews
Observer
Observer

Slow Orbits

30 Nov 2018 23:27

Thanks Jack, and thanks for the info about the new thread. I'd not realised it might apply in this situation, thanks for pointing it out. :)

I appreciate you working out the calculations. Any tips on calculating the planets orbits? Would placing an existing planet in a 'single star' system with the same mass as the two stars in a binary help figure out the correct calculations?

Edit: I found a tool that might help (after digging around in the FAQ page on planets):
http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/astro ... anet_orbit
Micah Mathews
www.micahmathews.co.uk

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Slow Orbits

01 Dec 2018 02:03

Would placing an existing planet in a 'single star' system with the same mass as the two stars in a binary help figure out the correct calculations?
That would probably work!

But you can use these formulas:
(To calculate SemiMajorAxes)
SemiMajorAxis B = Dist * MassB / (MassA + MassB)
SemiMajorAxis A = Dist * MassA / (MassA + MassB)
'Dist' is the distance between the bodies in astronomical units (AU) and 'Mass' in  sol masses.
(For the Period)
Period = sqrt(Dist ^ 3 / (MassA + MassB))
'Dist' also in AU and 'Mass' in sol masses.

MicahMathews
Observer
Observer

Slow Orbits

01 Dec 2018 03:25

Cool. That's fantastic. Thanks for the help Jack... and if the forum powers that be move this into the other thread, that's fine. Sorry for causing any disruption... :D
Micah Mathews
www.micahmathews.co.uk

xingqiu1
Explorer
Explorer

16 Dec 2018 08:28

hey, guys,Can you tell me how to make rings texture or send me some reference materials? Thank you.
Attachments
Saturn-rings.png
Saturn-rings.png (7.81 KiB) Viewed 4248 times

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

01 Jan 2019 16:14

Someone knows the Python programming language? I need help for create a script in Blender in order to export directly the .sss file of my modular mods.
I have imported into SE all the modules that make up my ships and stations, every module is an object with the same name in blender, so the script should compose the module lines into the .sss file

Module  "NAME_OF_OBJECT"  { "Moduli EBH/interplanetary/NAME_OF_OBJECT.cfg" ( 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 -20 0 0 1) }

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

02 Jan 2019 08:25

Someone knows the Python programming language? I need help for create a script in Blender in order to export directly the .sss file of my modular mods.
I have imported into SE all the modules that make up my ships and stations, every module is an object with the same name in blender, so the script should compose the module lines into the .sss file

Module  "NAME_OF_OBJECT"  { "Moduli EBH/interplanetary/NAME_OF_OBJECT.cfg" ( 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 -20 0 0 1) }
Problem solved, a rough autoexporter is on the way :-D.
The only thing I can't do is figure out how the transformation matrix works...
for now the script put every module in the right position, but without any rotation...

someone can help me?

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

12 Jan 2019 23:17

Glow maps and Normal Maps: I certainly have a lot of fun tweaking custom planets and textures. I was wondering what all the layers and maps are really for.

When I enter the simulators Editor mode and Export a planet I get all sorts of options to save different graphic file types and layers. The range of choices I can export also depends on the object I am exporting. I suppose there are subtle visual effects I am not aware of while in the game, ones not on the menu, over to the left side of the screen, that can be toggled on and off with the icons like atmosphere or clouds.

I wonder how the Glow and Normal maps are used by Space Engine. When I specify one or the other in a custom script what happens? Which layers use them?

I realize the Lava layer is not implemented yet, and I think Night Side lights are another layer as well, which would have its own folder like Bump, Cloud and Surface maps do. Do Glow and Normal maps need to be created with Cube Map in the same manner as custom clouds or surfaces?

Does every texture used (Surface, Water, Ice, Clouds) have its own Glow map and Normal map, just like they can all have their own Bump map? (I'm also guessing certain layers don't need a Bump map, like Night Lights).

Thanks for any and all tips, pointers, & knowledge! :)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

13 Jan 2019 08:15

someone can help me?
I briefly did experiments with a spreadsheet, according what I have found by googling "opengl transformation matrix" but apparently I'm doing something wrong because I can't obtain the final matrix.

Does every texture used (Surface, Water, Ice, Clouds) have its own Glow map and Normal map, just like they can all have their own Bump map? (I'm also guessing certain layers don't need a Bump map, like Night Lights).
You can extract earth textures and catalog from the original pak files to have an idea.
Check the section "creating a planet">Parameters common for all the surface, ocean and clouds tag.
Basically information about water and ice masses are pulled from the alpha channel of the surface (diff) map, which is it from these two it's declared with a "DiffMapAlpha" parameter.
Maps are all passed through the CubeMap utility, diff, bump or clouds.
Glow map is corresponding to a "city lights" map and it doesn't need bumping as you imagined.
clouds map can have a bump value because if I recall correctly it's a grayscale texture.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |