Ultimate space simulation software

Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer

Help with creating Mods and Addons

16 Jul 2019 00:00

astroclu wrote:
Hi, 
I've shared a few mods recently of real spacecrafts (Chandra Xray Observatory, TESS, Curiosity, and the ISS)
In the post of the  ISS Schubatamann draw my attention to an old blog news http://spaceengine.org/news/blog170516/ where Space Engineer described (though I didn't understand well) new kinds of objects (Structure, Artifact, Object and Spacecraft) with codes such as this one: 
Structure “Mariner base”
[color=#60b0d0][size=85][font=monospace]{[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#60b0d0][size=85][font=monospace]Model          “spacecraft/MarsBase/MarsBase.sss”
ParentBody     “Mars”
TidalLocked     true // up vector automatically derived from FixedPos coordinates
RotationOffset  96 // free parameter – orientation azimuth
FixedPosPolar  (99.512224 -6.943654 3399.9) // longitude, latitude and distance from the parent planet center[/font][/size][/color]
}

I've been searching around some docs or info here and in the manual, but couldn't find any. Can someone explain how to use this? That would come in handy to put the ISS on a fixed orbit.
Thanks to anyone who could help.

I haven't tried myself (yet), but I believe you save that script with a .sc extension, and put it in the addons/catalogs/planets/ folder (create it if necessary). Check the Creating a Planet section in the SE manual for more details.

astroclu
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

16 Jul 2019 08:19

Ok, I'm gonna try to make something like this, and I'll let you know what results I get. 
I believe that I understand now the idea of this (thanks to your comment Mr Abner), you make a planet which has a different type or class. Structure if I understand well should be fixed over the surface with a latitude, longitude and altitude and tidally locked so it won't be rotating. A spacecraft should instead have orbital parameters to define its orbit such a semi major axis, excentricity, inclination, argument of periastron, longitu of ascending node and mean anomaly (except for geostationary satellite which would be fixed over a latitude and longitude but much higher than the surface).
What I don't know is what would an artifact or object do? Is an artifact at a fixed postion in space, not orbiting anything? And object? 
I'll try this afternoon to make that script with orbital parameters of the ISS (as a spacecraft) and its model and will get back to you. 
Core i7-8700 [email protected] RAM 16GB GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB VRAM
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom"
Isaac Asimov

Klud
Observer
Observer

16 Jul 2019 14:59

ettore_bilbo wrote:
Source of the post Klud what graphic card have you? Mine is gtx 1060 3gb

My vcard - GTX770. You can try my .bin, maybe it will work.
Link

astroclu
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

16 Jul 2019 15:11

Mr. Abner wrote:
astroclu wrote:
Hi, 
I've shared a few mods recently of real spacecrafts (Chandra Xray Observatory, TESS, Curiosity, and the ISS)
In the post of the  ISS Schubatamann draw my attention to an old blog news http://spaceengine.org/news/blog170516/ where Space Engineer described (though I didn't understand well) new kinds of objects (Structure, Artifact, Object and Spacecraft) with codes such as this one: 
Structure “Mariner base”
[color=#60b0d0][size=85][font=monospace]{[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#60b0d0][size=85][font=monospace]Model          “spacecraft/MarsBase/MarsBase.sss”
ParentBody     “Mars”
TidalLocked     true // up vector automatically derived from FixedPos coordinates
RotationOffset  96 // free parameter – orientation azimuth
FixedPosPolar  (99.512224 -6.943654 3399.9) // longitude, latitude and distance from the parent planet center[/font][/size][/color]
}

I've been searching around some docs or info here and in the manual, but couldn't find any. Can someone explain how to use this? That would come in handy to put the ISS on a fixed orbit.
Thanks to anyone who could help.

I haven't tried myself (yet), but I believe you save that script with a .sc extension, and put it in the addons/catalogs/planets/ folder (create it if necessary). Check the Creating a Planet section in the SE manual for more details.

Well, I did so, and the result was good. You can check it in this post.
ISS is now orbiting with real orbital parameters.
Core i7-8700 [email protected] RAM 16GB GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB VRAM
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom"
Isaac Asimov

JediTrekkie
Astronaut
Astronaut

16 Jul 2019 16:36

So, I'm messing around with the in-game editor while trying to build a new addon. but I can't figure out what the new "Chtonia" planet class is or does. the game keeps reverting it to a Ferria or Jupiter. what is it?

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

16 Jul 2019 19:21

JediTrekkie wrote:
So, I'm messing around with the in-game editor while trying to build a new addon. but I can't figure out what the new "Chtonia" planet class is or does. the game keeps reverting it to a Ferria or Jupiter. what is it?

Chthonias (it's misspelled in SE right now) are gas giants whose atmospheres have become enriched in helium because all of their hydrogen has evaporated away. The only way to get the Chthonia class to stick is to set the internal composition to 100% helium. This post on Steam Community has complete details:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1772913885

JediTrekkie
Astronaut
Astronaut

16 Jul 2019 20:05

Julian wrote:
JediTrekkie wrote:

Chthonias (it's misspelled in SE right now) are gas giants whose atmospheres have become enriched in helium because all of their hydrogen has evaporated away. The only way to get the Chthonia class to stick is to set the internal composition to 100% helium. This post on Steam Community has complete details:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1772913885

Ah, gotcha! thanks. that's very interesting...

TechDragon
Observer
Observer

19 Jul 2019 07:35

So, I've got a bunch of python scripts for generating entire solar systems that I've just about finished writing... but I cannot find any documentation on what the format of the *.sc files is. The website has lots of examples and is essentially a pretty good guide on how to write these files by hand. But I'm a programmer, if theres a library out there that does work for me I'll use it before writing my own. So I went looking and all I can find is examples of other programmers building *.sc files "by hand" using text substitution and/or string template tools. 

What is the actual format of these script files? And to be 100% clear, I mean the configuration syntax/format. As in INI? TOML? UCL? JSON?
I've wasted half a day googling for this and I've come up with nothing. Which is very frustrating. 

So does anyone have the information I seek ?  :)

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Jul 2019 07:54

If there's a library only SpaceEngineer knows. I guess I can speak for the majority of people saying that we usually go for c++ syntax highlighting when using editors like notepad++.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Jul 2019 08:57

TechDragon wrote:
Source of the post As in INI? TOML? UCL? JSON?

It's none of it.
.sc files have their own syntax.
As far as I know, SpaceEngineer has a syntax highlighting configuration for .sc files for Notepad ++.

(I myself have made my own configuration file (not complete) for the editor I'm using. (And one for Notepad ++, which is far from complete.))
Syntax.png
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

stongduke
Astronaut
Astronaut

20 Jul 2019 14:01

How do I use a custom color pallete for a planet? I've made them in the editor, and I have the planet made, but how do I make the planet use a pallete, for example; jupiter_temperate_blue.cfg. Thank you!
Can I have an order of uhhh randomly generated city lights?

Lucas0231
Observer
Observer

25 Jul 2019 04:42

Hello,

Is it possible to customize planet color in .sc file in 0.990 ? There is not color line in exported .sc files.

Thank you !

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 Jul 2019 11:40

stongduke wrote:
Source of the post How do I use a custom color pallete for a planet? I've made them in the editor, and I have the planet made, but how do I make the planet use a pallete, for example; jupiter_temperate_blue.cfg. Thank you!

The first line in your color file must be UseFor "ParentObject|Object".
And then you have to put your file in the folder data\textures\terrain\samples.
(If your file has a name that is not yet used by SE, you can put it in the addons\textures\terrain\samples folder. You probably have to create these subdirectories first.)

Lucas0231 wrote:
Source of the post Is it possible to customize planet color in .sc file in 0.990 ? There is not color line in exported .sc files.

You have to create your own .cfg file for it. (You can do that in the editor.)
Examples of such a file can be found in the 'SamplesPresets.pak' archive in the directory 'data\textures\terrain\samples'.
The first line in your file must be UseFor "ParentObject|Object". It's best to put your file in the folder 'data\textures\terrain\samples'.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Lucas0231
Observer
Observer

26 Jul 2019 04:42

Thank you Jackdole !

Schübatamann
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

31 Jul 2019 16:17

does anyone have any idea how to creat new terrain textures??

i realised that if you put a dds image with the definition of 1k and _COL after the name for color map or _NORM for normal map in addons\textures\terrain\materials spaceengine will recognize it

then i copied files MaterialsTex.pak into 
SpaceEngine\addons\textures\terrain\materials and the materials appeared duplicated in the planet editor as expected , but when i edited the dds files with the Gimp they became buggy in the editor i think it's because the dds may must have especified options that i don't know