Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 04:01

why did they change the new version so that it doesn't support the LandTo function and did they change the FOV and Time function too or change how horizons can be straightened with the
What new version do you mean? In SE 0.980e everything is the same as in SE 0.980.
In the future SE version, however, everything is different because the scripting language is completely redesigned.

If the End button does not work, you may have changed something on your keyboard settings. (F8)
is there a way to get Rigel to look bluer than what I see above?  I am perplexed because the orange and red stars look fine but O and B type stars still look white.
The differences may be caused by the graphics card.
That's possible.  I could use the Digital Vibrance setting to up the saturation or white balance settings.  It puzzles me though that Orion's belt now looks (light) blue but Rigel still looks white.  Heck even Bellatrix looks bluer than Rigel.
<End> key works :-) I was just wondering if it will work in future versions the same way.  When the scripting language changes, what else will change?  Will the FOV and Time functions also no longer work?
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 02 Sep 2017 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 04:03

There's no way outside of messing with Mag limit to make dimmer stars look dimmer and smaller is there?

Also how does one turn off the star info-- when I try to click on a blank area or the ground at night I find it still displays the info of some star or nebula.

And is the only difference between .980 and .980e that .980e correctly models solar system eclipses?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 04:38

And is the only difference between .980 and .980e that .980e correctly models solar system eclipses?
Essentially yes.
There are some bug fixes and maybe some new bugs. :|
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 04:40

Essentially yes.
There are some bug fixes and maybe some new bugs. :|
Haha I think I caught a couple of the new bugs ;-)  So the older version does the phases of the moon and sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset times just fine, Jack?

Were there any exoplanet systems added with the "e" patch?  I already had Proxima Centauri b, Trappist-1 system and now Tau Ceti system via add-ons.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 08:52

Well, my solar reflections and clouds are back, all that's left now is the rippling water, maybe it will come back too.

Jack, maybe those shaders you gave me helped?!  Got anything else to share that might help too? (edit I found this only works at FOV 90 any other FOV and it doesn't show these effects.)
Screenshot - 9_2_2017 , 9_50_23 AM.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

03 Sep 2017 20:21

Jack, we were talking about the next major release of SE using a new scripting engine- do you think it will still use Open GL 3.3 (and not 4.5) and do you think it will still support Win XP?  

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Patch 0.9.8.0e

04 Sep 2017 14:12

A-L-E-X, you did not installed the patch correctly (by overwriting all files, including main-user.cfg), and then start asking about bugs... Maybe you should make an installation according to instructions first? You wasting your and JackDole's time.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

04 Sep 2017 14:53

A-L-E-X, you did not installed the patch correctly (by overwriting all files, including main-user.cfg), and then start asking about bugs... Maybe you should make an installation according to instructions first? You wasting your and JackDole's time.
I am planning to install it again.  I will tell you what I did when I installed it the first time.
1) made a new folder
2) copied over the original SE folder into the new folder
3) copied and pasted the four folders from the patch into the new folder
What I didn't do was clear the cache so before installing the patch this time I will delete the cache folder after copying over the original SE folder into the new folder.
Also, I have customized graphics settings and I tweaked the main-user.cfg file so I decided to make that file read-only and just copy and paste the three lines with the ephemeris info into the new folder's main-user.cfg.  This time I won't make it read-only, but then how will I be able to keep my customized main-user.cfg settings?  Should I go back later and just re-do them in case they get changed back to default values, Vladimir?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Patch 0.9.8.0e

05 Sep 2017 02:11

I am planning to install it again.
A new installation means that you have to reinstall SpaceEngine completely.

This means: make a copy of your SpaceEngine folder so that you can continue using the old version.

Uninstall SpaceEngine ! If the SpaceEngine folder still exists after the deinstallation, delete it by hand so that all addon files are gone.

Re-install SpaceEngine. If you no longer have the 'SE-0980-setup.exe', you have to download it again.

Extract the patch to the new SpaceEngine folder.

If everything works, you can gradually add your addons.
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

05 Sep 2017 02:29

I am planning to install it again.
A new installation means that you have to reinstall SpaceEngine completely.

This means: make a copy of your SpaceEngine folder so that you can continue using the old version.

Uninstall SpaceEngine ! If the SpaceEngine folder still exists after the deinstallation, delete it by hand so that all addon files are gone.

Re-install SpaceEngine. If you no longer have the 'SE-0980-setup.exe', you have to download it again.

Extract the patch to the new SpaceEngine folder.

If everything works, you can gradually add your addons.
Oh you mean I have to delete the original folder?  I thought SE was portable, meaning you just copy the folder and have two copies of the same thing running.  I do that all the time with programs I have that I am running on different settings simultaneously.  Sometimes I even rename the .exe file if there is a conflict, so I can run multiple instances of the same program at the same time.  I wasn't even aware that Space Engine is in add/remove programs because the folder isn't in my Program Files folder, it's right in the root directory of my C: drive.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Patch 0.9.8.0e

05 Sep 2017 04:02

I thought SE was portable, meaning you just copy the folder and have two copies of the same thing running.
SpaceEngine is portable. Therefore, you should make a copy of the SpaceEngine folder.
As I said here:
make a copy of your SpaceEngine folder so that you can continue using the old version.
Then you can continue to use it.
You can also make two or three copies. As much as you want. I always make several copies, to test different addons.

Then you should make a completely new installation in a completely new folder.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

05 Sep 2017 05:04

I thought SE was portable, meaning you just copy the folder and have two copies of the same thing running.
SpaceEngine is portable. Therefore, you should make a copy of the SpaceEngine folder.
As I said here:
make a copy of your SpaceEngine folder so that you can continue using the old version.
Then you can continue to use it.
You can also make two or three copies. As much as you want. I always make several copies, to test different addons.

Then you should make a completely new installation in a completely new folder.
Thanks Jack, I can make several copies but the original one must always be deleted for it to work properly? (Sounds like some versions of teleportation lol.)

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Patch 0.9.8.0e

05 Sep 2017 09:11

I decided to make that file read-only
You should never do this! SE saves various parameters there during runtime. I am surprised what you haven't crashes.
and just copy and paste the three lines with the ephemeris info into the new folder's main-user.cfg
There could be other changes.
This time I won't make it read-only, but then how will I be able to keep my customized main-user.cfg settings?  Should I go back later and just re-do them in case they get changed back to default values, Vladimir?
You should use the config-auto-update feature instead of the manual copying: overwrite the main-def.cfg with the new file shipped with the patch, and leave your original main-user.cfg unchanged. Then launch SE - it will load the new main-def.cfg first, initialize all new variables, then save them to your main-user.cfg. The new variables will be added there, while old ones keep unchanged. This process occurred only once, if you want to repeat it, set UpdateUserConfig to true in the main-def.cfg, as like JackDole said.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

05 Sep 2017 12:03

I decided to make that file read-only
You should never do this! SE saves various parameters there during runtime. I am surprised what you haven't crashes.
and just copy and paste the three lines with the ephemeris info into the new folder's main-user.cfg
There could be other changes.
This time I won't make it read-only, but then how will I be able to keep my customized main-user.cfg settings?  Should I go back later and just re-do them in case they get changed back to default values, Vladimir?
You should use the config-auto-update feature instead of the manual copying: overwrite the main-def.cfg with the new file shipped with the patch, and leave your original main-user.cfg unchanged. Then launch SE - it will load the new main-def.cfg first, initialize all new variables, then save them to your main-user.cfg. The new variables will be added there, while old ones keep unchanged. This process occurred only once, if you want to repeat it, set UpdateUserConfig to true in the main-def.cfg, as like JackDole said.
No crashes but I had to play around with various settings to get the textures to work properly.  I'm now doing it the way you suggested and rewrite all the files with the patch files instead.  How do I use the config-auto-update feature?  If I am understanding correctly I just need to make the new SE folder, copy over the contents from the old folder into the new folder, then apply the patch.  But do not overwrite the main-user.cfg file (overwrite everything else, as before.)  Don't make main-user.cfg read-only so when I launch the program with the patch the first time it will load the new main-def.cfg file first, initialize all new variables and then save them to main-user.cfg.  This only needs to happen the first time I launch the patched program.  
Ok, one other thing I am not sure about- do I really need to delete the original SE folder?  Or can I keep it without having to copy it to another folder and uninstalling the original?  Thanks. Vladimir!

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

07 Sep 2017 21:55

I wanted to report that I think I got the problems fixed and even more- made some improvements over the original version!

I ended up deleting everything and starting from scratch.  I even deleted the main-user.cfg file and used my old screenshots of the settings to get my old settings back.  It turned out to be a good idea because when I ran the program it loaded textures much faster than before, so much so that I decided to increase the resolution to 1024x768 from 800x600 and kept the same settings.  I also saw that SE had new defaults and I retained those while still using high AA and AF settings.  The water rippling and moving clouds are back, even though the rippling water can only be seen at FOV 90- however that's more realistic because zooming in shows land textures and zooming out shows less detail, which is more realistic.  The sky is also bluer with small cumulus clouds rather than the yucky hazy clouds of before.  I'll post some screenshots now :-)
Attachments
Screenshot - 9_7_2017 , 3_48_26 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 9_7_2017 , 4_42_04 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 9_7_2017 , 5_03_17 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 9_7_2017 , 6_37_40 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 9_7_2017 , 6_48_25 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 9_7_2017 , 6_58_33 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 9_7_2017 , 7_05_19 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 9_7_2017 , 7_13_17 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 9_7_2017 , 7_38_01 PM.jpg
Screenshot - 9_7_2017 , 7_38_51 PM.jpg