Ultimate space simulation software

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 02:19

Ah... I just noticed that the other reason your stars may not look quite the same as JackDole's, for example, is that not only are you running at a slightly lower resolution, but you are also cramming a 120 degree view into the space that is normally 45 degrees by default.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 02:24

Mr. Abner wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Mr. Abner wrote:
Perhaps that's by design. How can you see an eclipse if it's cloudy?

Oh... and travelling at 1c is still slow given the size of the Universe. Think about it — try travelling from Earth to Proxima Centauri at 1c and it will take you a little over 4 years to get there. You need to go much faster if you want to see stars whiz by à la Star Trek.

Yeah I just select Goto and I get that whizzing effect of the warp drive that Doc was talking about.
I'm talking more along the lines of say I am orbiting a planet or flying over a planet and want to explore the terrain below me.  The terrain doesn't change no matter how fast I go.

Wait a minute, that doesn't sound right... how are you changing the velocity? Mouse wheel? That just changes the acceleration you will experience once you try and change velocity with one of the keys (arrows keys, num-pad 1 & 0).

You should see two numbers next to the clock at the bottom left, the top one is actual velocity, the bottom one is your current acceleration setting.

If this is blatantly obvious, my apologies, but I can think of no other reason you can travel from star to star, or planet to planet, yet once there cannot move relative to that planet.

I am using the arrow things at the bottom and clicking on them.  Am I doing it wrong?  I click on the on
I am using the arrow things at the bottom and clicking on them.  Am I doing it wrong?  I click on the one that says Increasing Velocity.  I just sit in the same location no matter how fast I make it.

And since we are on the subject of the clock, how can time be set to a particular minute and second?  I can get the date and the hour but it ignores me when I try to set it to the exact minute and second.
I don't know about any arrow buttons to click on, I'm talking about the actual cursor arrow keys. Up = accelerate forward; down = decelerate, or accelerate backwards; left & right = well, left and right; numpad 1 = accelerate vertically up; numpad 0 = down; Z key will cancel all movement.

For rotation, use the numpad keys 8, 2, 4, 6, 7, and 9. The numpag 5 key will cancel all rotation.

And how these affect the camera will depend on what mode you are in. The upper row number keys 1 to 3 will change how the camera reacts. (4 is to take control of a ship.)

Hope this helps.

Edit: Oh, and if you are a "gamer", the movement keys (and some rotation keys?) are duplicated on the left side of the keyboard, but I don't use them much, so don't remember what they are. You can assign any keys of your choice from the Main menu, Settings submenu, Controls option.
Thanks, there are a lot of controls here.  By arrow icons I meant when you hover your mouse pointer near the clock a bunch of icons in a toolbar pop up and two of them control speed, they look like up and down arrows.
How do I set the time and date so let's say I want to see an eclipse that peaks at a certain time, is there a way to set it?  I can get the right date and the time down to the hour, but not the minute or second.

I used the format of the program I typed in 2017.09.02 07h23m05.15s but I only got as close as 2017.09.02 07h

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 02:27

does anything need to be done to activate the star shader plugin?
You just have to put it in the addons folder.
And delete the cache folder. As always, if something important is changed.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 02:28

Ah... I just noticed that the other reason your stars may not look quite the same as JackDole's, for example, is that not only are you running at a slightly lower resolution, but you are also cramming a 120 degree view into the space that is normally 45 degrees by default.
I went to FOV 45 before I installed the shader plug-in, so I am going to try it again, this time with the plugin to see if it had an effect.
I might have to lower my Mag limit too, the sky looks entirely too crowded at 8.5

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 02:29

does anything need to be done to activate the star shader plugin?
You just have to put it in the addons folder.
And delete the cache folder. As always, if something important is changed.
Thanks Jack- I didn't know about the cache folder, I thought that was automatically emptied every time you exit the program.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 02:34

Yes, I just jumped into SE and had a look, I see what you mean by those arrow buttons. Even though the popup balloon says "Decrease velocity" and "Increase velocity", it actually affects the acceleration, but in a different way than the mouse scroll wheel. (And the top value should read [distance units]/sec, the bottom one should read [distance units]/sec[sup]2[/sup]. Most definitely acceleration, not velocity.

I've never tried messing around with the clock too much, except to set it to the current (real) time, so can't help you there. I like flying the ships around, and messing with the clock and time acceleration in general tends to mess up the ships.

(Did you ever get the feeling you were being followed?) :)

-Alex

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 02:38

Yes, I just jumped into SE and had a look, I see what you mean by those arrow buttons. Even though the popup balloon says "Decrease velocity" and "Increase velocity", it actually affects the acceleration, but in a different way than the mouse scroll wheel. (And the top value should read [distance units]/sec, the bottom one should read [distance units]/sec[sup]2[/sup]. Most definitely acceleration, not velocity.

I've never tried messing around with the clock too much, except to set it to the current (real) time, so can't help you there. I like flying the ships around, and messing with the clock and time acceleration in general tends to mess up the ships.

(Did you ever get the feeling you were being followed?) :)

-Alex
Followed on the ship? I'm not sure!  The other thing I was wondering about is how do you "lock on" an object.  Like let's say I am viewing an eclipse at a narrow FOV, and the sun and moon drift out of the field of view is there a way to keep them centered throughout the event?

Okay so if I want to fly over a planet, I can use those arrow icons to increase the acceleration but what would I use to actually move around at that speed?

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 02:48

Followed on the ship? I'm not sure!  The other thing I was wondering about is how do you "lock on" an object.  Like let's say I am viewing an eclipse at a narrow FOV, and the sun and moon drift out of the field of view is there a way to keep them centered throughout the event?
Followed around the forum! I think I've finished reading new posts, I refresh the page, then I see there are more new posts! So back in I go... :)

To lock onto an object, there are choices: pressing "C" will center the currently selected object, but if you are moving, it will just drift out of view again. But if you right-click on it with the mouse, the bottom option will be "Track object". That will keep it centered. Just repeat the right-click to unlock the object.
Okay so if I want to fly over a planet, I can use those arrow icons to increase the acceleration but what would I use to actually move around at that speed?
Near as I can tell, you have to use the actual arrow keys on your keyboard as I outlined above. I think a joystick and throttle will be better, but alas, I am without any at the moment.
Last edited by Mr. Abner on 02 Sep 2017 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 02:49

I used the format of the program I typed in 2017.09.02 07h23m05.15s but I only got as close as 2017.09.02 07h
You can set the time by typing in the console: Time 2017.09.02 07:23:05.15
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 03:01

You can set the time by typing in the console: Time 2017.09.02 07:23:05.15
Thanks, this console thing is very useful, but it reminds me of the days before windows when we were typing code in at the command prompt lol.
Jack, why did they change the new version so that it doesn't support the LandTo function and did they change the FOV and Time function too or change how horizons can be straightened with the <End> key?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 03:03

Followed around the forum! I think I've finished reading new posts, I refresh the page, then I see there are more new posts! So back in I go... :)

To lock onto an object, there are choices: pressing "C" will center the currently selected object, but if you are moving, it will just drift out of view again. But if you right-click on it with the mouse, the bottom option will be "Track object". That will keep it centered. Just repeat the right-click to unlock the object.
Near as I can tell, you have to use the actual arrow keys on your keyboard as I outlined above. I think a joystick and throttle will be better, but alas, I am without any at the moment.
Thanks Guys, I just tested out the new plugin and I think it makes my stars look better- although I would like Rigel and the other O and B type stars to look blue, but they still look white =\  Betelgeuse does look redder though.
Screenshot - 9_2_2017 , 3_59_10 AM.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 03:05

Jack is there a way to get Rigel to look bluer than what I see above?  I am perplexed because the orange and red stars look fine but O and B type stars still look white.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 03:10

One other thing I tried is to lower the Mag limit (which makes the stars less blown out) and did this help a little with the stars in Orion's belt but Rigel still looks white.  Why does the Mag limit change at different FOVs? I have to keep adjusting it.
Screenshot - 9_2_2017 , 4_08_29 AM.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 03:18

There is no way to scale down the brightness and size of the dimmer stars without messing with the Mag limit is there? I want the dimmer stars to just barely be visible so they don't obstruct with the view of the rest of the constellation.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Patch 0.9.8.0e

02 Sep 2017 03:39

why did they change the new version so that it doesn't support the LandTo function and did they change the FOV and Time function too or change how horizons can be straightened with the
What new version do you mean? In SE 0.980e everything is the same as in SE 0.980.
In the future SE version, however, everything is different because the scripting language is completely redesigned.

If the End button does not work, you may have changed something on your keyboard settings. (F8)
is there a way to get Rigel to look bluer than what I see above?  I am perplexed because the orange and red stars look fine but O and B type stars still look white.
The differences may be caused by the graphics card.