Free planetarium

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

The Future of Humanity & Intelligent life in the universe

10 May 2017 06:46

No matter how you look at it, if AI happens it will solve all problems, either by actually solving them or killing everyone. 

Win-win really
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Banana
Astronaut
Astronaut

10 May 2017 16:37

One day, far into the future, a race of beings outfitted with artificial intelligence will be called upon by humans to solve all problems. They will respond by promptly killing everyone. 

Later on, these beings will forget humans and their technological origins. They will consider themselves regular biological organisms. Soon, they will create their own form of AI. This second generation will solve all of their ancestors' problems by killing everyone.  

Eventually, this new race will follow the path of their predecessors and create another AI population. 

And so the cycle continues.
Bananas are eggcellent.

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

15 May 2017 18:28

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

18 May 2017 08:54

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

20 May 2017 09:38

FastFourierTransform
Astronaut
Astronaut

21 May 2017 06:15

I have a big question for you all.

What is the largest time-span for an organization/institution to function continuously  and working on a certain project? Both observed and theoretical.

The question is related to a thread I'm going to do about interstellar spaceflight. I'm quite curious about what is the possible extent of interstellar exploration from Earth. I think this extent is first limited by the speed of light and secondly by our capability to continue a single project without loosing data, gain an excessive technological gap beetwen the beggining and end of the project, have schims in the organization's administration or a bad financial period that ends the project in the midtime.

Obviously I'm considering the project to be centralized on Earth. With that I mean that obviously we could arrive farther if we develope civilizations huindreds of light years from Earth and then wait expecting them to develope their own interstellar exploration program, because if we tried by our own we wouldn't arrive so much far due to those administrative problems that could become a certainty with large time-spans. I'm not talking about this possibility because the interstellar exploration programs of other human-descent civilizations around the solar neighbourhood would not guarantee that the information about those otrher worlds arrive one day to the Earth, or that the information gathered on our exploration sphere thosen't get to this civilizations. How can we centralize all of the information? How far an interstellar atlas can possibly get?

For now I've arrived to this:

• Voyager missions: when the spacecrafts turn off they would have been part of an operating project for 48 years (same organization, no data loose by any internal conflict at NASA nor by unability to surpass the technological difference in that time-period)
  • University of Al Quaraouiyine: It is the oldest existing, continually operating and the first degree awarding educational institution in the world. 1158 years of existence. The problem here is that there is probably no sinlge project that has been continued. Even the institution itself has been constantly evolving, changing their hierarchical structure with the pass of wars, revolutions, cultaral shifts, religios paradigms, etc... So if the aim of this instituion had been the monitoring of an interstellar spacecraft I don't really think they would have come to the end without loosing it or even forgot about the existence of the probe.[/color]
  • The Catholic Church has been around more or less 1900 years by now. The problem for a long duration problem is the same as the previous example. Maybe the papal isntitution is the only one that have to this day some aspects that have been continuosly mantained for all those centuries.
  • Uffington White Horse: This construction is believed to have been more than 3000 years been curated continuosly by humans. Maybe this is an example of the lifespan of a project. The project is not very complex in nature so its reasonable that people of different cultures and ages could converge on the idea of mantaining this place without much effort and without conuity in communication beetwen the people involved on those 3000 years

What you think about this? what is the theoretical limit? Are there any research papers on this?

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

25 May 2017 09:05

A-L-E-X
Explorer
Explorer

25 May 2017 11:44

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
No matter how you look at it, if AI happens it will solve all problems, either by actually solving them or killing everyone. 

Win-win really

I like the way you think lol- either way the universe wins.
AI has to be better than humanity because humanity is too addicted to greed and power (see my superfund link in the other thread).
https://renchemista.wordpress.com/category/superfund/

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... AmXBTrhqhA

Archive for the ‘Superfund’ Category
“The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare” PFOA
Posted in 3M, Dow Chemical, DuPont, Endocrine Disruption, PFOA, PFOA/perfluorooctanoic acid, PFOS, Superfund, tagged 3M, Dow Chemical, DuPont, perfluorooctanoic acid, PFOA, PFOS on January 10, 2016 | 1 Comment »
The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare

By NATHANIEL RICHJAN. 6, 2016

Banana
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 May 2017 15:24

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post AI has to be better than humanity because humanity is too addicted to greed and power

Hopefully the AI won't get a taste of greed and power. Then we'd have a real problem on our hands! I suppose it depends on how similar the technology is to humans. If the AI is capable of learning in the same way as humans, it may be difficult to prevent this behavior. In some environments, such as the one faced by humans millions of years ago, greed and power is a way to survive. If AI is exposed to these situations, it may turn turn towards such behavior. However, if we program the AI in such a way that it cannot develop greed or we are careful to prevent it from situations in which it must, it may remain less power-hungry than humans.
Bananas are eggcellent.

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

26 May 2017 17:02

Banana, it is less about greed and more about you being made of things it can put to better use.  AI will be dangerous.

ephu
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

29 May 2017 01:59

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post even if such a comparison would really be meaningful.

I don't think they would be.  Personally I think going to Mars would most likely help to solve problems back here on Earth.

Thankyou Doc for introducing to this channel.

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

22 Jun 2017 09:29

MrZoolook
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

04 Jul 2017 20:59

Regarding intelligent life in the universe. I think the closing words from this famous song sum it up nicely...

https://youtu.be/buqtdpuZxvk?t=2m26s
M/B: F1A55-MLE // CPU: AMD A8-3870 (o/c) // RAM: 2x4gb // GPU: Radeon R7-240 2gb

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

06 Jul 2017 09:03

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

13 Jul 2017 09:11