Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

The Future of Humanity & Intelligent life in the universe

24 Apr 2017 00:08

With the discovery of Faster-than-light travel, humans can now explore the galaxy
That would be nice but don't keep your hopes up.
7+ The Big Crunch
-The universe ends and a new one is born in its place
The Big Crunch is inconsistent with available data.  According to the best model we have, accelerating expansion will take over as the cosmological constant dominates the universe's energy density.
We don't need a big crunch though, if the universe's dimensions collapse as it gets smaller, gravity no longer becomes an attractive force and the universe simply reinflates.  Cyclic model has something going for it with the cosmological constant, and the fact that dark energy can use the universe to come back empty without violating thermodynamics laws.
We don't even need FTL we just need to make wormholes so the distance from here to there gets shorter ;-)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Apr 2017 00:10

-- while they don't necessarily save us from the ultimate catastrophe of heat death --
While heat death still occurs there are ideas out there that support the notion of a new universe being born when entropy reaches it max.

Spontaneous Inflation and the Origin of the Arrow of Time
We suggest that spontaneous eternal inflation can provide a natural explanation for the thermodynamic arrow of time, and discuss the underlying assumptions and consequences of this view. In the absence of inflation, we argue that systems coupled to gravity usually evolve asymptotically to the vacuum, which is the only natural state in a thermodynamic sense. In the presence of a small positive vacuum energy and an appropriate inflaton field, the de Sitter vacuum is unstable to the spontaneous onset of inflation at a higher energy scale. Starting from de Sitter, inflation can increase the total entropy of the universe without bound, creating universes similar to ours in the process. An important consequence of this picture is that inflation occurs asymptotically both forwards and backwards in time, implying a universe that is (statistically) time-symmetric on ultra-large scales.
full paper
https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0410270.pdf
This reminds me of "dark energy" causing the universe to come back empty and the cosmological constant slowly decreasing with each new cycle.
Also, this isn't a Big Crunch- it's a Big Bounce :-)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Apr 2017 00:15

-Nanotechnology truly takes off and permeates every aspect of life
We're fairly close to this point and I think this is where the story of humanity ends.
That would be nice but don't keep your hopes up.
My hopes for warp drives are always high, but the realist in me is perpetually depressed

Watsisname, I think the notion of the universe restarting or a new universe coming into being is likely but the method through which that happens is different.
Indeed, but remember Doc- this could be our own technological evolution ;)  Evolution invariably results in the destruction of the evolving species......
By the way, with our own technology today we are seeing changes.  I'm seeing an increasing amount of research showing that our cell phones, social media, inundation with news from various sources is changing our brains, especially the brains of teens.  Some point to a rise in ADHD as a result, but there are also changes occurring on the fundamental level of glucose metabolism by the brain.  What this will eventually lead to who really knows- but we are constantly evolving and what humanity becomes even within 100 years might be something completely different from what it is today.  Technology, even present-day technology, seems to be an accelerant for evolution.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

27 Apr 2017 12:40

[youtube]cGYKCTFIZLI[/youtube]
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

28 Apr 2017 20:57

All hail Elon Musk
[youtube]u5V_VzRrSBI[/youtube]
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

werdnaforever
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

01 May 2017 22:42

[youtube]mrGFEW2Hb2g[/youtube]

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

01 May 2017 23:29

Dumb video.  
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

ZackG
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

02 May 2017 01:08

Get rid of that sack of ***. He is a vile man and a hatemonger.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

02 May 2017 08:37

Here's some Fermi Paradox stuff:
[youtube]sNhhvQGsMEc[/youtube]
[youtube]1fQkVqno-uI[/youtube]
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

werdnaforever
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

02 May 2017 14:28

Dumb video.  
His main point is important. We're constantly polluting the planet and disrupting the ecosystem. Its unacceptable to think of Earth as disposable and replaceable. We can't expect Mars to serve as a perfect replacement/alternative (and as far as I'm concerned we shouldn't take it for granted that future technologies will make everything OK).

But no, lets whine and call it dumb because we can't handle sarcasm.

Besides, it's space colonies we should be focused on, not Martian surface colonies. We need significant infrastructure in space to become a multi-planet species, not a few domes on the surface of Mars.

ZackG
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

02 May 2017 14:33

Dumb video.  
His main point is important. We're constantly polluting the planet and disrupting the ecosystem. Its unacceptable to think of Earth as disposable and replaceable. We can't expect Mars to serve as a perfect replacement/alternative (and as far as I'm concerned we shouldn't take it for granted that future technologies will make everything OK).

But no, lets whine and call it dumb because we can't handle sarcasm.

Besides, it's space colonies we should be focused on, not Martian surface colonies. We need significant infrastructure in space to become a multi-planet species, not a few domes on the surface of Mars.
I dont care. and you are bringing up politics. its not allowed.

werdnaforever
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

02 May 2017 15:18

I dont care. and you are bringing up politics. its not allowed.
This is the off topic section of the forum and that video was about space policy

ZackG
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

02 May 2017 16:08

OK fine. you know what I think of BIll Mahar? he is a hate monger and hates people who are conservative white christian males. He is basically the atheist that just wants to cause riots. Its called Cultural Marxism. He calls people like me  "teabaggers". and he is very vulgur for that.
Maybe this will show you what he is in Mark Levin's point of view.

In short. Liberalism is a mental disease and Im proud to be conservative.
[youtube]SZ8yCFlzRBE[/youtube]

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

02 May 2017 16:31

In short. Liberalism is a mental disease and Im proud to be conservative.
Well maybe that's your opinion, but in fact, very few liberals are like Bill Mahar. You can't judge a large group by a single person. But seriously, this should be in the totally off-topic thread.
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

ZackG
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

02 May 2017 16:55

Agreed.