Ultimate space simulation software

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

The Future of Humanity & Intelligent life in the universe

06 Jan 2017 03:30

[youtube]yXWe8g0zziw[/youtube]
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

12 Jan 2017 15:25

[youtube]igZi4iyJiq0[/youtube]
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

02 Feb 2017 12:21

On a slightly unrelated note, how many planets with intelligent life do you believe exist in the Milky Way?
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

02 Feb 2017 15:20

At least one, though I'm actually not certain about the one.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

02 Feb 2017 17:54

I'm actually not certain about the one.
how many planets with intelligent life do you believe exist in the Milky Way?
From my own understanding of life and the universe my assumption is less than 1 per 500bil stars.  I suspect larger galaxies may have more, but then again they are more active so perhaps civilizations get wiped out more often.
I think rare Earth is the most logical view.  Earth has far too many special variables so of course we find ourselves where it is possible for us to exist.  While most of science is supported by mediocrity, Earth is most likely one of the few special things we have from all the countless unlikely events that allowed intelligent life to evolve and become technological.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Feb 2017 03:58

My guess is that around 1 out of 1 billion planetary systems has sentient life, but this is just my guess, and i am probably very, very wrong.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

05 Feb 2017 10:03

[youtube]FgVI2vBxQK4[/youtube]

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

05 Feb 2017 10:36

Interesting video, DoctorOfSpace. In my opinion, AI should not be more intelligent than humans, preferably the same intelligence level as humans. Also, i believe it would be a good thing if robots had different strengths and weaknesses than humans, a symbiosis between AI and humans would make an AI revolution unlikely.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

05 Feb 2017 10:54

An AI revolution is inevitable so long as we keep advancing.

AI taking over and humanity going extinct as a result seems to be an inevitability.  The real question is how long until that happens and how will it happen.  Humans could be wiped out immediately, humans could slowly die off as AI expands, or humans could merge with the AI and eventually stop being human altogether but humans remaining human is not going to happen.  Once you reach general intelligence it won't take long for that AI to exceed the capabilities of any human and then exceed every human.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

05 Feb 2017 11:13

DoctorOfSpace, if neither humans and AI are discriminated against, an AI revolution is unlikely. If an AI revolution is inevitable, it will probably be delayed significantly by equality between humans and AI though. But AI is probably a bad idea if it can wipe us out.

Also,
From my own understanding of life and the universe my assumption is less than 1 per 500bil stars.  I suspect larger galaxies may have more, but then again they are more active so perhaps civilizations get wiped out more often.I think rare Earth is the most logical view.  Earth has far too many special variables so of course we find ourselves where it is possible for us to exist.  While most of science is supported by mediocrity, Earth is most likely one of the few special things we have from all the countless unlikely events that allowed intelligent life to evolve and become technological.
My guess is that around 1 out of 1 billion planetary systems has sentient life, but this is just my guess, and i am probably very, very wrong.
The amount of planets with sentient life depends on the definition of the word "sentient". Human-level sentience is probably very rare, but if animals like a fish or so are defined as sentient, the number of star systems with sentient life could be as high as one out of 10.000 or higher :)

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

05 Feb 2017 11:33

But AI is probably a bad idea if it can wipe us out.
The development of AI is an end game scenario.  The first country or group of people to develop it will have never have anyone capable of outpacing them again.  AI at this point is inevitable, someone will develop it and it will probably be the last human invention.
but if animals like a fish or so are defined as sentient, the number of star systems with sentient life could be as high as one out of 10.000 or higher
Life is probably common, fish and other complex life is probably rare, and intelligent life is probably exceedingly more rare.

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

05 Feb 2017 12:26

Life is probably common, fish and other complex life is probably rare, and intelligent life is probably exceedingly more rare.
by life i understand you mean unicellular lifeforms. and for my opinion fish will be more common than land lifeforms (getting this evidence from earth itself) 
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

05 Feb 2017 14:17

and for my opinion fish will be more common than land lifeforms
Sounds reasonable, assuming that life generally first evolves in the ocean.  For intelligent life, I wonder if intelligent oceanic life is more common than intelligent terrestrial life in the universe.  If life starts in the ocean, one would guess that intelligent oceanic life is much more common, but the evidence from Earth speaks against it.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

05 Feb 2017 14:20

for me it sound a bit strange to imagine intelligent oceanic lifeforms. how will they build? will they have arms? how will they developed technology? it sound a bit strange but i remember i discussed this with doc about intelligent life forms on europa.
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

05 Feb 2017 14:25

and for my opinion fish will be more common than land lifeforms
Sounds reasonable, assuming that life generally first evolves in the ocean.  For intelligent life, I wonder if intelligent oceanic life is more common than intelligent terrestrial life in the universe.  If life starts in the ocean, one would guess that intelligent oceanic life is much more common, but the evidence from Earth speaks against it.
WRONG

I think there is more intelligent life in our oceans than on land. Take dolphins or the various species of octopus for example (especially *octopi, arguably, some species are even more intelligent than humans)
-*how do you spell -plural octopus- anyway?
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams