Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

The Future of Humanity & Intelligent life in the universe

09 Sep 2018 17:53

That makes more sense. :)  Yes, it is nice that the Alcubierre drive, being within the realm of general relativity, can be described mathematically.  The equations work both ways, so on one hand you can take a given distribution of matter and energy and predict how space-time behaves around it, or in this case you start with the behavior of space-time that you want and the equations tell you what sort of mass-energy would create it.  Of course solving the equations in that direction easily leads to unphysical situations or impossible mass-energy requirements, but if you take those as given then the math still lets you describe it, as in if you did have an Alcubierre drive, then what would it look like?  

For a "ZPE device", I think describing how it would work (in even the impossible sense) would be up to what kind of assumptions someone wants to use to model it.  Zero-point energy is a real thing, but there isn't a clear physical framework to describe how you would power something with it.

Stellarator
Explorer
Explorer

10 Sep 2018 00:05

Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post then what would it look like?

What do you mean by this? Are you wondering what the physical structure and schemata of the space craft will look like? Or what it might look like from the outside of the warp bubble if somebody was observing it?
Futurum Fusionem

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

10 Sep 2018 00:37

I mostly mean the appearance of the bubble.  

The starting point for speculating on Alcubierre drives is to assume a particular geometry of the space-time.  The mathematics of general relativity then predicts the paths that light rays will take through that space-time, and therefore what the warp effect will look like, for all observers (inside or outside).

The structure or design of the spaceship on the other hand is not directly or uniquely determined by that math.  You could imagine all sorts of space ship designs.  The only requirement you'd need to meet from a logical point of view is that the ship be wholly contained within the bubble and not be destroyed by any tidal forces generated.  Beyond that, shape is mostly inconsequential, as is the material, or anything else.  General relativity doesn't care too much.  What is generating the geometry of the warp bubble is not the ship itself, but whatever magical distribution of space-time bending mass-energy that presumably is contained somewhere within the ship somehow.

Stellarator
Explorer
Explorer

10 Sep 2018 00:55

I'll dig around online tomorrow to see if I can find any papers discussing the outward appearance of warped space/time. Seems like a fun way to spend a Monday  8-).

To venture a educated guess here and now I would say that the warp bubble may be invisible altogether to naked eye observations, but possess very blue or red-shifted energy signatures visible in other spectrum's. Also, at certain times you might see whatever gamma radiation looks like if you are right next to it... not that you would want to of course.

I say invisible because space/time is warped into a geodesic shape, bending light around it as it does so in something like a photon sphere (?) At best you might see a distortion?  I do not know if a lab ever made something even remotely like this, and recorded its outward appearance. 
Futurum Fusionem

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

10 Sep 2018 01:43

The warp bubble is quite visible to those outside of it.  Light rays are highly deflected by it. :)

These are two visualizations made by the SXS Collaboration.  (This is the same group that makes the visualizations for the gravitational waves from events detected by LIGO, so they are credible).

Stellarator
Explorer
Explorer

10 Sep 2018 17:17

Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post These are two visualizations made by the SXS Collaboration.  (This is the same group that makes the visualizations for the gravitational waves from events detected by LIGO, so they are credible).

Nice. It looks like the new warp effects in SE 0990 are pretty accurate. I did not want to point out the SE effects because I thought it might be cheap researching on my part :).

Anyway, I promised some papers, and here they are:

http://u2.lege.net/cetinbal/PDFdosya/AlcubierreWarpDriveSpacetime.pdf
Page 5-7 of the document actually outline the very thing we are discussing here, along with a proposed lab experiment. It ties in interestingly with Gaussian Sphere, which describe a space/time warp quite neatly.

Specifically:
"As the Alcubierre LIF (ALIF) warp sphere takes on a large spacetime expansion boost and starts to move off-braneas suggested by equation (7),the photons emitted from it will not be able to intersect the coordinate observer (lab) frame because the photons were emitted off-brane from the ALIF. This is the reverse scenario we discussed earlier where photons on the brane were not able to interact with an electron off of the brane. Unless something acts on the off-brane photons to reduce their boost, they will not be detected by the on-brane coordinate observer. Hence, an Earthbound coordinate observer will most likely see a dimming effect when viewing the ALIFas its spacetime expansion boost increases. Similarly, the ALIF willsee his/her surrounding universe grow dimmer and dimmer as photons emitted on-brane cannot reach the now off-brane ALIF. [emphasis mine]"

The experiment mentioned in the paper can be found here. A paper criticizing the experiment might also be of interest.

A paper discussing what a warp may look like from the inside of the geodesic sphere (I thought the conclusion on page 9 to be congruent):
https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9907019.pdf

A pertinent paper exploring the dynamics of trapped photons in geodesic curvatures, such as those surrounding black-holes. This relates to what was outlined in the first paper I linked to:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1512.09094.pdf

A similar paper on the spectrum shifts of the photons in a geodesic:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1703.07921.pdf

This one essentially clarifies our ignorance of a lot of physics in relation to warp drives:
http://www.enthea.org/docs/Warp-Drive-S ... asimir.pdf

That's all I have for now. What do you think?
Futurum Fusionem

midtskogen
World Builder
World Builder

16 Sep 2018 09:07

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

16 Sep 2018 19:11

Stellarator wrote:
Source of the post It looks like the new warp effects in SE 0990 are pretty accurate. I did not want to point out the SE effects because I thought it might be cheap researching on my part

The edits I did to the shader for 0.9.9.0 are based off of renders like the one Watsisname linked.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati