Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Thread

26 Oct 2020 16:48

haha as usual you were ahead of the curve.  I've always liked a bit of personal space too, maybe that helped out in this regard too.  Haven't shaken anyone's hand since last January I think?  It's an old-fashioned practice anyway.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

26 Oct 2020 18:24

Eh, just trying my best to keep up with the curve, really.
Haven't shaken anyone's hand since last January I think?  It's an old-fashioned practice anyway.
Indeed!

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 Oct 2020 18:29

Time to adopt the Japanese bow or that weird elbow bump
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Oct 2020 19:34

Yep!  I actually like the bow more than the elbow bump, it's kind of awkward to do that lol.

Doc, how are things going in your area?  We had a two week rise in infection rates from 1% to around 4% just in my local area (southwest Long Island) but with a short close down and opening of a rapid testing site (results within 5 min) things have gotten better and opened back up again as the infection rate went back down.

Keeping up with the curve is a better way to state it, Wat, very appropriate- I always chuckle when I hear "we're rounding the corner, folks."  That must be one mighty long corner.....

I heard things are going better in your area than they were a few months ago, Wat?  Looks like most of the higher rates right now are concentrated in the middle of the country and a bit farther east.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

26 Oct 2020 20:40

I heard things are going better in your area than they were a few months ago, Wat?  Looks like most of the higher rates right now are concentrated in the middle of the country and a bit farther east.
Quite so. At the moment according to covidactnow, my county is the 29th lowest out of 39 for daily new cases per capita (hovering around 3/day/100k). Since July we've managed to stay under 5/day/100k, which I think is quite good, especially considering we have a moderate population density. I think the main explanation for our success is that most people took the virus very seriously, and we had early use and high compliance of social distancing and masks in public spaces.

When I hop a few counties over, though, it's like a whole different world in terms of how people behave with the virus, and I think it shows with how much higher their case rates have been over time. Chelan County for instance spiked over the summer to over 40 new cases per day per 100k, and even now they still hover at more than 10. This, despite being a lower population density county. I think many people over there believed the virus was an "urban problem", and it surprised them.
Keeping up with the curve is a better way to state it, Wat, very appropriate- I always chuckle when I hear "we're rounding the corner, folks."  That must be one mighty long corner.....
► Heh.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 Oct 2020 21:06

Doc, how are things going in your area?
Just been seeing more and more people choosing to not wear masks, I don't really mind at this point, I have my gas mask.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Oct 2020 00:59

Just been seeing more and more people choosing to not wear masks, I don't really mind at this point, I have my gas mask.
Dilbert stopped wearing a mask this week.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

27 Oct 2020 04:30

Thanks guys.  I'm noticing a similar thing in my drive going west from NY to PA.  Lots of mask wearing in NYC/Long Island, and eastern NJ.....once I get out to near the Delaware Water Gap, mask wearing is a lot less (I guess people think that being near the park makes masks less necessary there?).  And then getting to Eastern PA mask use picks back up in and near towns, but as soon as I get out into the "burbs" mask use is much less even in -gasp- places like supermarkets and other indoor locations where people gather.  You can be sure I dont know I go into any of those places even with a mask (I just see big crowds of maskless people entering them).  I'm getting all my groceries and supplies delivered directly to my door, dont want to risk it.  The only places where I've really been to with any frequency in the past few months is going to large nurseries to buy small trees to plant in my yard and in those places people were a lot more than 6 ft apart (more like 10 ft or more.)

Edit- I wanted to add I just read about a new study showing antibodies decline after 3 months.  What do you think this means for a future vaccine?  Will it be a seasonal one like the flu?
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 27 Oct 2020 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

27 Oct 2020 04:34

Doc, how are things going in your area?
haha Doc I expect you to be fully stocked at all times.  You must have a vast cache of protective equipment including a variety of masks.  Something funny....I actually found I have an N95 mask back from when a contractor was doing work on my house and we found asbestos in my basement and had to remove it and he left one behind.

I guess that pandemic fatigue is a real thing and more people choosing not to wear masks is a sign of that?  I read that it occurred during the 1918 flu pandemic also. Would be interesting to include in a psychological/sociological study that may be done after this is all over.
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 27 Oct 2020 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

27 Oct 2020 04:41

Quite so. At the moment according to covidactnow, my county is the 29th lowest out of 39 for daily new cases per capita (hovering around 3/day/100k). Since July we've managed to stay under 5/day/100k, which I think is quite good, especially considering we have a moderate population density. I think the main explanation for our success is that most people took the virus very seriously, and we had early use and high compliance of social distancing and masks in public spaces.

When I hop a few counties over, though, it's like a whole different world in terms of how people behave with the virus, and I think it shows with how much higher their case rates have been over time. Chelan County for instance spiked over the summer to over 40 new cases per day per 100k, and even now they still hover at more than 10. This, despite being a lower population density county. I think many people over there believed the virus was an "urban problem", and it surprised them.
► Heh.
What an appropriate title, Wat: "Cyanide and Happiness" Heh.  That looks like the infamous hockey stick curve right there =\
Seeing the same exact thing, except in my case it's in reverse.  In my drive going from East to West I saw mask use decrease the farther West I went, in your case it looks like it decreased the farther East you went?  In my post above I indicated that mask use was less in more open spaces which is to be expected, of course, but less urban areas also have stores and supermarkets, and I watched people enter those in relatively large numbers without masks too.
There was a bike rally during the summer in South Dakota and thousands of bikers went there from various parts of the country.  They mistakenly thought that since the rally was in a rural area that there was little risk of spreading the virus and not only did many not wear masks but they didn't even bring any with them.  It turned out later, a few COVID outbreaks and a number of deaths across several states were later traced back to that rally.  That's why what occurs over the holidays might be something to be concerned about, especially with the colder weather and many indoor gatherings with lots of travel from various parts of the country going on.
After this is all over, a psychological/sociological study into the response of people across various nations and across various demographics within nations and their states/provinces with the different variables involved, would make for an interesting read.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

28 Oct 2020 02:15

haha Doc I expect you to be fully stocked at all times.
I was, mostly because I always have first aid equipment ready in case of an emergency.  Resupplying my first aid kit though has become a bit of a nightmare now as many things like antiseptics are in extremely high demand.  Running low especially on isopropyl alcohol which I have use for in computers and in first aid.  Peroxide is even iffy still on supplies in places and that is frustrating, but I still have a bottle left.  I need to check at the local pharmacies soon for iodine as well, its been sold out for quite some time.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

28 Oct 2020 09:55

Doc, I remember early on in the pandemic there were people that were buying large quantities of these items and selling them at much higher prices to make large margins....I wonder if this is still going on?

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

29 Oct 2020 10:34

I wonder if this is still going on?
Nope, its the government.  They have sidelined all producers to supply to hospitals due to high demand, the production act gives access of goods/services to those who need them most.  Stores can't even buy the stuff, and if you think the Amazon supplies are good I can tell you they aren't.  I bought various supplies and they were all lies and subpar sold by Chinese companies and are health risks.  I reported quite a few to Amazon but even now those suppliers are still selling dangerous goods to people thinking they are buying health supplies.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

29 Oct 2020 17:01

I wonder if this is still going on?
Nope, its the government.  They have sidelined all producers to supply to hospitals due to high demand, the production act gives access of goods/services to those who need them most.  Stores can't even buy the stuff, and if you think the Amazon supplies are good I can tell you they aren't.  I bought various supplies and they were all lies and subpar sold by Chinese companies and are health risks.  I reported quite a few to Amazon but even now those suppliers are still selling dangerous goods to people thinking they are buying health supplies.
Doc, that reminds me of when we had that total eclipse and fake solar eclipse glasses were being sold on Amazon and even though they were being reported, they were still being sold on there.  People reported damage to their eyes post-eclipse!

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

31 Oct 2020 05:32

More than 1 new case per second being reported in the US right now. 5 new cases per second, worldwide. Considering rates of death, the northern hemisphere is at a level of infection close to that of the peak in spring, and perhaps even surpassing it.