Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

25 Apr 2019 01:45

@Midtskogen: Perfect skies!  

I haven't been up in the mountains for a while, but in the meantime I continue beach combing.  Today I found a great example of Carnelian.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

06 May 2019 06:27

The agate/chalcedony collection continues to grow, and now contains a few fluorescent specimens.  Here they all are under incandescent light.

And now illuminated under 405nm (nearly ultraviolet) light.

Fluorescence is always a nice surprise.  The intense green emission is caused by inclusion of Uranyl (UO[sub]2[/sub][sup]2+[/sup]) ions, which may also result in some radioactivity.  Also interesting is how the iron impurity which gives carnelian its vibrant red color is readily absorbing violet wavelengths, turning the stone black and opaque in this light.

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

Show off your work

06 May 2019 12:44

Can you take your ultraviolet laser with you while rock hunting?
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

06 May 2019 16:31

It's a thought.  I normally only rock hunt during the day since that makes most objects of interest easier to find, but fluorescence is too dim to see in daylight.  Also many objects I'm interested in don't fluoresce, like petrified wood.  Hunting specifically for fluorescence at night might be interesting, but I'm not sure if my rate of finding things that way would be any better than the rate which I find them already during the day and then testing them back at home.  Maybe I'll try it anyway sometime just to see how it goes. :)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

06 May 2019 16:58

It's a thought.  I normally only rock hunt during the day since that makes most objects of interest easier to find, but fluorescence is too dim to see in daylight.  Also many objects I'm interested in don't fluoresce, like petrified wood.  Hunting specifically for fluorescence at night might be interesting, but I'm not sure if my rate of finding things that way would be any better than the rate which I find them already during the day and then testing them back at home.  Maybe I'll try it anyway sometime just to see how it goes. :)
Wat can these emissions be detected with a digital camera that has a UV pass filter on it?  UV photography is pretty neat- some plants have hidden markings that only pollinators can see (because their eyes are sensitive to near UV light.)

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

06 May 2019 21:25

This isn't quite the same as ultraviolet photography, where you see the world with ultraviolet eyes.  Rather, think of it as normal photography, but with an ultraviolet light source.  Fluorescence is when that short wavelength UV light is absorbed and then the energy re-emitted it at longer, usually visible wavelengths.  Like illuminating glow-in-the-dark materials with a blacklight.  You wouldn't want to use a UV-modified camera to photograph this because then the scene would be drowned out with whatever color the sensor picks up UV as.  :)

In this case the photograph is true color, and the scene is illuminated by 405nm light (405nm is near the boundary between violet and ultraviolet, which the human eye and camera can faintly detect.)  All the re-emitted colors like the greens and yellows show up in the picture the same way your eye sees them.

Incidentally, I would love to have a UV-modified camera to play around with.  Maybe when I get an updated camera, I might try modifying my old one to do that.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Show off your work

22 May 2019 14:12

What do you guys think about this song? https://soundcloud.com/sidusbrist/lovely-eyes

It's a bit Guns N' Roses/Avenged Sevenfold inspired.  :)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

26 May 2019 07:57

Today's quake in Peru as recorded 10340 km away in my basement. USGS says M8.0, Peruvian authorities say M7.2.  I think the former is more correct.  The quake briefly maxed out my instrument.  The P-wave is realtively weak, having just cleared Earth's core.
x.png
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

26 May 2019 21:18

Wow.  It's incredible how large and clear the signal is from such a distance.

As you gather more of these recordings I think it could be very interesting to arrange them by their distance from you, and in effect reproduce this figure showing how the seismic waves reveal Earth's inner structure.  In this case you were about 93° away, which fits what you say about almost losing the P wave to the liquid outer core.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

27 May 2019 01:27

Good idea, I'll add it do my list of very interesting this to do when I get the time.  I have 12 years of data, I think.  I could plot every 7.5+M in that time, for instance, and order by distance.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

04 Jun 2019 05:33

A somewhat random assortment of recent photos.
► Alpine Flowers
► Mountains
► Rocks and Gems

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

12 Jun 2019 00:06

Giving hard rock mining a try.  There's a marvelous spot hidden up in the hills nearby where veins of blue translucent agate/chalcedony run through volcanic rock that's tough as nails.  It's some of the most intense color I've ever seen in a stone. I spent a good portion of a day working at it with rock hammer, sledge and chisels and came back with a couple kilos of raw material.  Very fun and interesting experience.
► Show Spoiler

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

Show off your work

12 Jun 2019 11:36

Beautiful. That color contrast! :D

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

24 Jun 2019 05:04

Noctilucent clouds over Oslo last night.  Not very bright, but visible even in the southern sky.

[youtube]FtZAJafLgcQ[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

24 Jun 2019 07:09

Nice catch.  They were over here as well last week.  Saw them low in the north driving past Seattle in the morning.  Didn't get any pictures, though.