Page 7 of 7

Dreams you've had

Posted: 14 Aug 2018 17:39
by NathanKerbonaut
Last night I had a dream I suddenly found myself two months in the future from today, and the first thing I did was check if 0990 was released yet, nice

Dreams you've had

Posted: 14 Aug 2018 17:42
by Stellarator
I had that dream too  :P. I guess that means we're cult-followers of SE.

Dreams you've had

Posted: 14 Aug 2018 22:49
by JackDole
NathanKerbonaut wrote:
Source of the post Last night I had a dream I suddenly found myself two months in the future from today, and the first thing I did was check if 0990 was released yet, nice

And, was it?

Dreams you've had

Posted: 15 Aug 2018 04:13
by NathanKerbonaut
JackDole wrote:
NathanKerbonaut wrote:
Source of the post Last night I had a dream I suddenly found myself two months in the future from today, and the first thing I did was check if 0990 was released yet, nice

And, was it?

No :( I remember looking at the news page and seeing three new dev posts, one at the end of August and two near the end of September. One of them was Vlad asking for community feedback on the appearance of nebulae or something. I wonder if these visions will come true...  :P

Dreams you've had

Posted: 15 Aug 2018 18:29
by Stellarator
NathanKerbonaut wrote:
JackDole wrote:
NathanKerbonaut wrote:
Source of the post Last night I had a dream I suddenly found myself two months in the future from today, and the first thing I did was check if 0990 was released yet, nice

And, was it?

No :( I remember looking at the news page and seeing three new dev posts, one at the end of August and two near the end of September. One of them was Vlad asking for community feedback on the appearance of nebulae or something. I wonder if these visions will come true...  :P

Soooo... not even in your dreams does 0.9.9.0 come out? Your dreams must dislike you :P Rough mind bruh.

Dreams you've had

Posted: 18 Aug 2018 21:37
by PlutonianEmpire
Stellarator wrote:
NathanKerbonaut wrote:
JackDole wrote:
And, was it?

No :( I remember looking at the news page and seeing three new dev posts, one at the end of August and two near the end of September. One of them was Vlad asking for community feedback on the appearance of nebulae or something. I wonder if these visions will come true...  :P

Soooo... not even in your dreams does 0.9.9.0 come out? Your dreams must dislike you :P Rough mind bruh.

Sadly he's not alone in that. My dreams refuse to let me to fly properly. I can never get above the powerlines and tree lines no matter how many times I try in no matter how many dreams. It sucks :(

Dreams you've had

Posted: 19 Aug 2018 12:30
by Stellarator
PlutonianEmpire wrote:
Sadly he's not alone in that. My dreams refuse to let me to fly properly. I can never get above the powerlines and tree lines no matter how many times I try in no matter how many dreams. It sucks :(

Whoaaa - me too! I thought it was just me restraining myself subconsciously. There must be a psychological aspect to this, because all I can do is hover a bit, maybe on a lucky night go and fly at about fifty feet up.

Apparently practicing 'vivid' dreaming can help with this, a way to do this is to keep a dream journal. It sounds cliche, but you are just training your mind to remember your dreams. That allows you to recognize when one is happening with greater alacrity, making it easier to 'control' what you do.  

Dreams you've had

Posted: 19 Aug 2018 19:59
by Watsisname
PlutonianEmpire wrote:
Source of the post My dreams refuse to let me to fly properly. I can never get above the powerlines and tree lines no matter how many times I try in no matter how many dreams. It sucks

This is also very common for me in lucid dreams when I try to fly.  For me flying or hovering through the air low to the ground or up to about tree-top height is quite easy, but when going above that the brain likes making obstacles, even if they're totally irrational (I once had a bajillion power lines inexplicably strung in my way so I had to dodge around and through them).  Sometimes it throws other obstacles, like having the dream simply fade out if I rise up too far.

One of the best ways I've found for changing the dream scenery, or for avoiding having the dream fade, is to spin around.  The sensation of spinning helps act as an anchor.  Or if you spin and focus your intent on being in a new place when you stop, then often you will be, sort of like teleportation.  It's worth experimenting with. :)

Dreams you've had

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 11:17
by Stellarator
Watsisname wrote:
One of the best ways I've found for changing the dream scenery, or for avoiding having the dream fade, is to spin around.  The sensation of spinning helps act as an anchor.  Or if you spin and focus your intent on being in a new place when you stop, then often you will be, sort of like teleportation.  It's worth experimenting with. :)

Interesting! I will try that out next time I have enough lucidity to realize I'm dreaming ;).

Dreams you've had

Posted: 23 Aug 2018 00:15
by PlutonianEmpire
Watsisname wrote:
PlutonianEmpire wrote:
Source of the post My dreams refuse to let me to fly properly. I can never get above the powerlines and tree lines no matter how many times I try in no matter how many dreams. It sucks

This is also very common for me in lucid dreams when I try to fly.  For me flying or hovering through the air low to the ground or up to about tree-top height is quite easy, but when going above that the brain likes making obstacles, even if they're totally irrational (I once had a bajillion power lines inexplicably strung in my way so I had to dodge around and through them).  Sometimes it throws other obstacles, like having the dream simply fade out if I rise up too far.

One of the best ways I've found for changing the dream scenery, or for avoiding having the dream fade, is to spin around.  The sensation of spinning helps act as an anchor.  Or if you spin and focus your intent on being in a new place when you stop, then often you will be, sort of like teleportation.  It's worth experimenting with. :)

I get that as well, endless power lines, endless trees, rising terrain. The most depressing obstacles are those "room-ception" dreams. Fly out that window, yay, free-- aww bigger room. Fly out that room, yay-- nope. Fly out *that* room, ad infinitum.

I think in my case it stems from my feeling utterly, hopelessy trapped, not just in life but also on a planet with a suicidal (so to speak) civilization inside a harsh, unforgiving universe that most certainly enjoys punishing FTL travelers by making them come home to thousand-year old graves of their own parents... And so forth ;_;

Dreams you've had

Posted: 23 Aug 2018 14:25
by Stellarator
PlutonianEmpire wrote:
I get that as well, endless power lines, endless trees, rising terrain. The most depressing obstacles are those "room-ception" dreams. Fly out that window, yay, free-- aww bigger room. Fly out that room, yay-- nope. Fly out *that* room, ad infinitum.

Or how about when you've finally broken free of all that, having an honest-to-god lucid dream, and think "lets go over that mountain and explore", and then when you get their, your brain is just too lazy to come up with anything, so the landscapes are all the same. Makes you want to just wake up again.

However, I noticed that in real life, whenever I do something out of my comfort zone, my dreams are a lot more interesting and free.

Dreams you've had

Posted: 15 Sep 2018 06:14
by An'shur
I had one interesting dream today in the morning.

I was on Mars leading an anti-Earth rebellion. I recall commanding one of my underlings to close every spaceport to ships inbound from Earth. My command base was a large pyramid-like structure armed to the teeth. The air was breathable, but rusty orange in color as everything else, the terrain, hills, rocks.. Not much of a vacation retreat really. It was a barren desert.

Then I was on board a train going westwards across the northern cliffs of Valles Marineris.

My recollection of further events is hazy, but I remember being in a house with some people. I also realized that I was dreaming, which took some simple thinking, but I do not remember how I gained lucidity and the thought process that "woke" me. (Lost lucidity a few seconds later anyway, as it always happens to me sadly). I got out of the building and stood at the edge of Valles Marineris. I was not lucid anymore at that point, but it was a sight to behold. I must have been very far west, close to Noctis Labyrinthus, looking over Ius Chasma. Wow! Then I woke up.

At some point in the dream I guesstimated how long would it take to cross the canyon system on foot. I found out it would take me close to one year. I was intrigued by this idea so I've just now calculated it. Four thousand kilometers divided by 365 days - 10.96 kilometers per day. The in-head calculation from the dream actually makes sense! Double wow! (Although I am used to walking twice as much, but that's beside the point.)

Dreams you've had

Posted: 15 Sep 2018 21:17
by Stellarator
The wonders of lucidity...