Free planetarium

 
User avatar
The Potato
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 43
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Location: Paris Commune

Dreams you've had

10 Jun 2017 10:05

I had this dream where I was in some form of NASA habitat that very closely resemble my house from the inside but looked like a NASA habitat from the outside, My Family was living their daily lives almost normally with small changes for outside work, Because we were not on earth, and outside there was a blue-ish gray surface with a small hill next to my house, the sky was a slightly grayer version of the sky on earth with a single sun, when night came along it rained like F*cking Hell and for some reason it was in my head that the Planet or moon that I was on was called "Faire" pronounced Fair.
"Always enable filename extensions."
-Me
 
User avatar
Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 324
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Location: 179° 56′ 39.4″ +0° 2′ 46.2″ @ 7,940 ± 420 pc

Dreams you've had

21 Jul 2017 14:06

Last night instead of sleeping I was wondering if the easiest form of interstellar communication would be a simple Morse code by transiting their host star with a sliver of a Dyson sphere or a propelled modulating asteroid or something else just as fantastical, rather than high energy EMR. Still light speed, but maybe... even reruns of Battle Star Galactica streaming across the Milky Way Internet.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693
 
User avatar
The Potato
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 43
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Location: Paris Commune

Dreams you've had

26 Jul 2017 08:03

@Gnargenox You have a GT 730?!? 
"Always enable filename extensions."
-Me
 
User avatar
Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 324
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Location: 179° 56′ 39.4″ +0° 2′ 46.2″ @ 7,940 ± 420 pc

Dreams you've had

26 Jul 2017 13:38

The Potato wrote:
Source of the post @Gnargenox You have a GT 730?!?

Yes, is that something special? I don't have alot of on board memory, but I've set my virtual memory settings pretty high.
Untitled-1.jpg
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693
 
User avatar
The Potato
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 43
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Location: Paris Commune

Dreams you've had

05 Aug 2017 08:14

I just haven't seen many computers with a GT 730 ( I always thought of it has a an overpriced under-powered card.)
"Always enable filename extensions."
-Me
 
User avatar
styrax
Observer
Observer
Posts: 11
Joined: 06 Aug 2017

Dreams you've had

06 Aug 2017 13:38

It is strange that people are so easy to forget their dreams even you clearly remember that the dream was so impressive...
 
User avatar
DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 677
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Location: SpaceX Mars Colony
Contact:

Dreams you've had

06 Aug 2017 13:54

Had some really crazy dreams.  The first part was in this really crazy building out in the desert, brain says Dubai but it was really weird.  Nothing was around it, but in the distance a ways was a city with a gold pyramid and you could see for miles.  Eventually a sandstorm came in, water rushed all around it, then the dream changed into a weird one where I was flying around the building avoiding a lion, there was some random person just walking around on their phone, the water was like 2 inches deep yet reached the top floor of this long building.  There was a bit where I was trying to find my way back to that top floor, and avoiding some snakes but it made no sense. The building was like a maze inside.

Dream changed into some very strange post apocalyptic dream after, cars looked a bit futuristic and a plate said 2028.  Friend, his cousin, and myself put on bulletproof vests, grabbed guns from an abandoned house and we drove for miles.  We came up to this subdivision overgrown with flowers but had batteries and electricity to one main house.  All that was left was a family of 2 brothers and the father, they let us stay.

Went with the two boys to scavenge and we came up to this ditch in a heavily wooded area and we started hearing voices.  Told the two teens to stay quiet and inside we saw all these egg/pod things hatched and dozens of children.  These children were deformed and trying to climb some blue glowing wall, many of them had large eyes, bulbed heads, could hear them inside our own minds crying out for help.  We had to stay hidden at this point but they all eventually made it over this glowing blue wall.  There were also deformed animals with similar deformities, but they couldn't make it over the wall.

We went back to the house slowly, the 2 kids were scared of aliens.  Then when I walked into the house everyone was gone, the room was dim, and this guy walked up and said its over.  Next thing is its a camera view sweeping over books/newspapers but the images on them are animated, each one is a tv show from the last 60 years.  First it was twilight zone, theme was playing, that morphed into later twilight zone, outer limits, some 90s shows that names escape me,  and the themes kept melting into each other, then there was x-files, themes and quotes from shows kept going and then I just woke up.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
 
User avatar
spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 175
Joined: 30 Dec 2016

Dreams you've had

06 Aug 2017 18:13

Had a dream about zombified Disney characters trying to kill me and my family while we hid in the bathroom when I was 10. Must've been pretty immortalizing on me seeing how I still remember it 7 years later. ;p
 
A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 378
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 10:38

Watsisname wrote:
Banana wrote:
Source of the post I doubt atoms as we know them can "mutate" in this way, but perhaps it is possible in the quantum world.

Nay.  Quantum mechanically, particles are indistinguishable, and their properties are tied to constants of nature.  If they 'mutate' then this would be evident by changes in energy levels, bonding behavior, and spectra.  It's actually a very good thing that they don't evolve or else it would screw up the universe pretty badly. :)

Biological systems can evolve because what evolves is the information carried in their genes, which is a property of how a very large number of particles are arranged, and not a property of the particles themselves.  It's like how water is wet, but a single molecule of water is not wet.  Wetness is an emergent property that arises when you get a lot of them together.

But are constants even "constant"?  I'd argue that because we are a part of the universe, there would be no way for us to be really sure if this is true or not?  For example, if the value of every constant changes slowly over time, in such a way that everything remains "to scale" we would have no way of knowing because to find this out, you'd have to have a way to compare it with something outside of the universe!
 
A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 378
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 10:39

The Potato wrote:
I just haven't seen many computers with a GT 730 ( I always thought of it has a an overpriced under-powered card.)

There's different flavors of GT 730, some are far better than others.
 
A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 378
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 10:42

Gnargenox wrote:
The Potato wrote:
Source of the post @Gnargenox You have a GT 730?!?

Yes, is that something special? I don't have alot of on board memory, but I've set my virtual memory settings pretty high.
Untitled-1.jpg

We're in the same boat.  I have 4 GB RAM but only 3.25 GB is accessible, I have a 4 GB GT 730 (newer version that has 384 shaders), but I have freed up 8 GB virtual memory.
 
A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 378
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 10:43

Gnargenox wrote:
Last night instead of sleeping I was wondering if the easiest form of interstellar communication would be a simple Morse code by transiting their host star with a sliver of a Dyson sphere or a propelled modulating asteroid or something else just as fantastical, rather than high energy EMR. Still light speed, but maybe... even reruns of Battle Star Galactica streaming across the Milky Way Internet.

I actually read an article about something similar recently! I will post it when I find it again.
 
A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 378
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 10:46

Watsisname wrote:
Banana wrote:
Source of the post I doubt atoms as we know them can "mutate" in this way, but perhaps it is possible in the quantum world.

Nay.  Quantum mechanically, particles are indistinguishable, and their properties are tied to constants of nature.  If they 'mutate' then this would be evident by changes in energy levels, bonding behavior, and spectra.  It's actually a very good thing that they don't evolve or else it would screw up the universe pretty badly. :)

Biological systems can evolve because what evolves is the information carried in their genes, which is a property of how a very large number of particles are arranged, and not a property of the particles themselves.  It's like how water is wet, but a single molecule of water is not wet.  Wetness is an emergent property that arises when you get a lot of them together.

I like Lee Smolin's ideas of baby universes evolving from parent universes and nature selecting for universes with life vs nonlife.
 
A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 378
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 15:43

A-L-E-X wrote:
Gnargenox wrote:
Last night instead of sleeping I was wondering if the easiest form of interstellar communication would be a simple Morse code by transiting their host star with a sliver of a Dyson sphere or a propelled modulating asteroid or something else just as fantastical, rather than high energy EMR. Still light speed, but maybe... even reruns of Battle Star Galactica streaming across the Milky Way Internet.

I actually read an article about something similar recently! I will post it when I find it again.

I posted it in the science thread- here is an excerpt
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedormi ... 770d002c6e

How Aliens Might Use 'Network Theory' For Galactic Communications

Bruce Dorminey ,

Contributor

I cover over-the-horizon technology, aerospace and astronomy.

Advanced technological civilizations looking for efficient communication from one end of a galaxy to another would best be served by tapping into a network of transiting extrasolar earths. That is, extrasolar earths capable of being observed transiting across the face of their parent stars. Or so says an exoplanet researcher in the U.K.

Kepler-type space observatories out looking for transits of extrasolar earths, could also look for the telltale signatures of optical lasers or even alien macro-engineering projects that might be manipulated to signal another civilization.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests