Free planetarium

Salvo
Space Pilot

Totally off-topic thread

02 Mar 2017 04:18

Xoran wrote:
Comment section of the video is cancer though.

Generally every video that is a little weird/meme-ish has such a comment section. That's why I completely ignore those of some specific channels while I usually read comments of other ones. :)
Hornblower wrote:
"video"

LoL
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

Xoran
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

02 Mar 2017 10:08

DoctorOfSpace, not that I want to start a heated conversation but global warming is almost certainly true, i respect your opinion though :)
Salvo wrote:
Source of the post Generally every video that is a little weird/meme-ish has such a comment section.

YOU SHALL NOT DISGRACE MEMES, YOU FOOL ;)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

02 Mar 2017 12:01

Xoran wrote:
Source of the post not that I want to start a heated conversation but global warming is almost certainly true, i respect your opinion though

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Mosfet
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

02 Mar 2017 13:31

Look ma, a Dolby Labs SarcasmeterTM
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

02 Mar 2017 16:39

Every once in a while I come back to this video and it's still just as good as the first time I saw it

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB

Xoran
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

03 Mar 2017 10:23

DoctorOfSpace, i wasn't being sarcastic, i do indeed believe in global warming as a serious man-made threat

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post Every once in a while I come back to this video and it's still just as good as the first time I saw it

I can relate to that :)

Also found some memes

Hornblower
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

03 Mar 2017 11:34

Xoran, I am pretty sure DoctorOfSpace was using the sarcasm meter in reference to himself. I think you will find that just about everyone here believes in global warming including DoctorOfSpace, but there's another thread for that  :D
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Kaue_
Observer

Totally off-topic thread

04 Mar 2017 08:00

Xoran wrote:
DoctorOfSpace, i wasn't being sarcastic, i do indeed believe in global warming as a serious man-made threat

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post Every once in a while I come back to this video and it's still just as good as the first time I saw it

I can relate to that :)

Also found some memes

speaking of memes...

this is art.

Xoran
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Mar 2017 01:04

Hornblower wrote:
Source of the post Xoran, I am pretty sure DoctorOfSpace was using the sarcasm meter in reference to himself.

He didn't sound very sarcastic when he said that global warming was a myth  :)
Kaue_, nice video! However, it's more a piece of art than a meme in my opinion ;)

Watsisname
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Mar 2017 03:51

The trouble with posting on the internet is that it can be difficult to convey or interpret tone.  Also, there's Poe's Law.

I read Doc's post as being sarcasm at any rate.

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Mar 2017 08:43

Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post The trouble with posting on the internet is that it can be difficult to convey or interpret tone

Been using the internet since '95 and the one thing I have always tried to do is think of every post as at least somewhat sarcastic unless stated otherwise.

And oh boy has the internet changed in the last 20 years

By 1996 our house had 2 phonelines so we could have 24/7 internet access.

Xoran
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Mar 2017 09:48

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post Been using the internet since '95 and the one thing I have always tried to do is think of every post as at least somewhat sarcastic unless stated otherwise.  

Wow! That is 9 years more than i have lived!  :P

Also, memes

I find it amazing that We Are Number One memes actually saved the life of the actor of Robbie Rotten, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and he was cured because almost all We Are Number One meme videos has a link to his gofundme page. That is truly amazing. :D
The feminist one is my favorite :)

midtskogen
Space Pilot

Totally off-topic thread

05 Mar 2017 13:15

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post And oh boy has the internet changed in the last 20 years

Internet began its Cambrian explosion in 1993, I would say, with the release of the Mosaic web browser.  Before that the internet had existed for a long time, but it was mostly e-mail, telnet, ftp and simple services.  The World Wide Web was the hype of 1993, and it coincided with dial-up services for the general public, and I think that by 1995 most had realised that the World Wide Web had come to stay and had become synonymous with internet.
My life has been well timed with computer technology, I think.  I grew up with computer programming on Commodore computers in the 80'ies (Vic-20, C64/128, Amiga).  Not before had computing been so accessible.  And when it was entirely clear around 1992 that the Commodore Amiga was going nowhere, I began at the university, got on the internet and learned about Linux which was maturing, became capable of running X Window and compatible with everything at the university.  I saved up some money and bought my first PC in 1993, with 16 MB of RAM and a 17" monitor (usually PC's were sold with 4 or 8 MB and 15" monitors at that time), installed Linux, and I didn't really needed to leave my dorm any more apart from going to lectures.
In 1992 I began playing MUME, a text-based online Middle Earth online game, and got slightly addicted for a few years.  Interestingly, the game still exists in its original format.  I just logged in with my 25 year old player, and there were 50 players online. :)
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Mar 2017 13:24

Now that is real old school

Watsisname
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Mar 2017 16:08

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post And oh boy has the internet changed in the last 20 years

Oh yeah.  Kids these days don't know http or the the AOL dial-up sound, which is still seared into my soul.  Not as old school as Midtskogen though. :)