Ultimate space simulation software

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

05 Jan 2017 02:45

So did I, in particular the naive vs managed fund analogy. :)
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Totally off-topic thread

06 Jan 2017 19:27

[youtube]JgY8zNZ35uw[/youtube]

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

10 Jan 2017 00:52

[youtube]mtOGcgWozd4[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

10 Jan 2017 05:09

Both groups seem to have an appropriate reaction.  They may be games but anyone who has played Orbiter or KSP knows just how tricky such things can be.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

10 Jan 2017 06:34

I think the video was intended to be funny more than to be accurate. :)

I was invited to follow the Philae landing from the office of the Norwegian Space Centre and took an early day off for this event.  The "touchdown" moment was a bit unclear.  As I recall it, there was a confirmation that the anchoring harpoons had fired, but it wasn't clear whether they had attached (and they did indeed fail, and, as we know, the lander bounced and settled in a pit, more or less).
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

11 Jan 2017 15:16

I'm getting more and more impressed with the short term forecasts by the Norwegian met office considering Norway's difficult terrain.  The forecasts have improved significantly over the past few years.  I occasionally check the quality for my location.  The grid size for short term forecasts have become very small, so the terrain gets modelled pretty well, and my exact location within that grid gets further adjusted elevation.  Below is a comparison of the forecasts 12 and 24 hours ahead with what was actually observed.  It's fascinating to see how they match, mostly within a few tenths of a degree C and also the timing of temperature changes (likely caused by changes in wind direction).  Accuracy is particularly important when the temperature is around freezing, so the forecast was very precise about when snow would fall and when rain would fall (or pre-shovelled snow as we call rain in Norway in the winter).  Forecasts are available at yr.no which has would-wide forecasts (but best accuracy for Norway)

► Show Spoiler
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Totally off-topic thread

11 Jan 2017 17:09

Remember way back when I said that forecast skill will improve not so much by improving our knowledge of the physics but by raising the computer power and grid resolution?  There ya go. :)

Now if only here in the US we could follow suit.  GFS is lagging behind the rest of the world's weather prediction capability.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

12 Jan 2017 02:12

Remember way back when I said that forecast skill will improve not so much by improving our knowledge of the physics but by raising the computer power and grid resolution?
Yes, but just throwing more computer power at the problem will never take you as far as you can go.  You also need to be clever to find practical, perhaps less physical, ways to make the models.  And you need good measurements, both in terms of quality and quantity.
The recent improvements in the short term forecasts haven't only come from a smaller grid size.  The brute force-like grid forecast is the starting point for a number of ad hoc adjustments.  (The grid size is also adaptive, so the grids are smaller where it's likely to make a difference)  For instance, measurements from nearby weather stations are fed back along with the initial prediction using a Kalmar filter to make adjustments.  I.e. when the prediction of the original model doesn't quite seem to match actual measurements, the final forecast gets adjusted accordingly.  Adjustments are also made for elevation differences within a grid.  And for very short term forecasts, up to 90 minutes ahead, radar data is used.  A forecast for the next day can be 100% accurate in that there will be afternoon showers over an area, but it can not realistically predict where those showers will be.  Once the showers have formed, instead of rerunning the models with impractically small grid sizes, the movement of the showers can be tracked and predicted by simple algorithms.  Much like you would do manually if you sit at work and look at the weather radar trying to find the best time slot for riding your bike home.  Finally, it's always a good idea to read the text forecast written by a meteorologist experienced in interpreting the model output, who knows the limitations and local factors.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

12 Jan 2017 04:35

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Jan 2017 10:08

[youtube]06NegxrDSlQ[/youtube]
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

21 Jan 2017 21:36

Skip to around 12:30
[youtube]UVEU6n2eKtg[/youtube]
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

22 Jan 2017 09:48

DoctorOfSpace, I think this guy fakes this sort of thing. First of all, he isn't freaked out at all by it, and secondly, pretty much every other abandoned mine video he does has "paranormal" activity in it
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Totally off-topic thread

22 Jan 2017 10:42

DoctorOfSpace, spooky, i guess after your experience you much more believer now?
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

23 Jan 2017 04:48

Skip to around 12:30
It is creepy indeed.
I'm actually very interested in paranormal in general, even if I'm quite skeptic. I guess it's very funny to think about "what could it be if it wasn't a paranormal thing", and in 80% of situations every paranormal thing is pretty much explainable someway.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

23 Jan 2017 13:49

Watsisname,

[youtube]TeMooNFtFJk[/youtube]

Salvo, I agree, I go ghost hunting and all that simply out of curiosity of the phenomena.  I watch the skies because why not if you see something new then that just makes everything even more interesting.
i guess after your experience you much more believer now?
Not really.  There are too many far more likely explanations for some of the things I saw and heard.