Free planetarium

 
User avatar
Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Posts: 928
Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Location: Bellingham, WA

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 00:07

Earthquake in NK easily visible on my seismometer today. The reported M6.3 may be slightly exaggerated, but this is unlike anything previously in NK and claims about a hydrogen bomb might be true this time.


Yikes...
 
User avatar
midtskogen
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 395
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 03:31

I can only see the P wave and the surface waves, not the S wave, but the signature of underground nuclear detonations is indeed a weak S wave. I'll do some filtering when I get home. I'm spending this weekend in a tent and only have my phone right now.

I guess the strength is within both fission and fusion type of bomb, but I think it's safe to assume that this was indeed what they claim, unlike claims after previous tests.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI
 
A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 804
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 05:53

Watsisname wrote:
Earthquake in NK easily visible on my seismometer today. The reported M6.3 may be slightly exaggerated, but this is unlike anything previously in NK and claims about a hydrogen bomb might be true this time.


Yikes...

That's interesting- fracking and dams have caused earthquakes in the past, now H-bombs? 
 
A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 804
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 05:55

midtskogen wrote:
I can only see the P wave and the surface waves, not the S wave, but the signature of underground nuclear detonations is indeed a weak S wave. I'll do some filtering when I get home. I'm spending this weekend in a tent and only have my phone right now.

I guess the strength is within both fission and fusion type of bomb, but I think it's safe to assume that this was indeed what they claim, unlike claims after previous tests.

6.3 seems well within line of what such a device could do.  Fracking has caused up to 5.6 mag earthquakes so far and seismologists think that even stronger quakes are possible in the future from it, and dams have caused up to 8 mag quakes.

edit USGS says the NK quake was 5.2-5.3, more in line with fracking quakes.
 
User avatar
midtskogen
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 395
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 10:08

The latest estimate from both USGS and EMSC is M6.3.  Had it been M5.3, I would hardly detect it.

Here's what I detected in Oslo unfiltered:
nk-20170903b.png


To get a clearer view of the P wave, here's the same with a high pass filter at 1 Hz:
nk-20170903c.png


There is no hint of a S wave, so it must have been very weak, quite unlike what a regular earthquake would look like.  The sharp spike seen about 15 minutes after the P wave is likely local noise.  To get a better view of the surface wave, here's the same with a low pass filter at 0.1 Hz:
nk-20170903.png


There was some background noise from wind when this event was recorded, but the signals are clear enough.  My distance is 7433 km or 67°.  This is way stronger than anything else NK has produced.  I recorded this with $500 worth of gear:
seismometer2.jpg
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI
 
User avatar
DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 918
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Location: SpaceX Mars Colony
Contact:

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 11:04

midtskogen wrote:
Source of the post I recorded this with $500 worth of gear:

But the Earth is flat and science is a lie created by the illuminati
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
 
A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 804
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 11:32

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
midtskogen wrote:
Source of the post I recorded this with $500 worth of gear:

But the Earth is flat and science is a lie created by the illuminati

You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't believe exoplanets are real.  "They haven't been directly imaged, right?"  And when you show them images, they call them defects in the camera sensor.
 
A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 804
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 11:34

midtskogen wrote:
The latest estimate from both USGS and EMSC is M6.3.  Had it been M5.3, I would hardly detect it.

Here's what I detected in Oslo unfiltered:
nk-20170903b.png

To get a clearer view of the P wave, here's the same with a high pass filter at 1 Hz:
nk-20170903c.png

There is no hint of a S wave, so it must have been very weak, quite unlike what a regular earthquake would look like.  The sharp spike seen about 15 minutes after the P wave is likely local noise.  To get a better view of the surface wave, here's the same with a low pass filter at 0.1 Hz:
nk-20170903.png

There was some background noise from wind when this event was recorded, but the signals are clear enough.  My distance is 7433 km or 67°.  This is way stronger than anything else NK has produced.  I recorded this with $500 worth of gear:
seismometer2_liten.jpg

Wow, that's amazing you have so much quake gear.  And you recorded it all the way from Oslo?  I wonder how high the Tunguska Event would have been recorded with your gear- it was felt all the way in London!
Even a 5.6 quake can be quite damaging- the ones that have occurred in Oklahoma from wastewater injection from fracking have damaged the foundations of houses and quake insurance prices have skyrocketed there.
 
User avatar
DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 918
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Location: SpaceX Mars Colony
Contact:

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 11:49

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post "They haven't been directly imaged, right?"

They have been but they deny that too. 
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
 
A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 804
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 11:55

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post "They haven't been directly imaged, right?"

They have been but they deny that too. 

Yeah I mean they ask me that and then I show them the images taken of exoplanets orbiting their stars and they think they are defects in the sensors of the cameras.  We're talking about images taken with the Hubble Telescope not some cheap dslr lol =\
 
A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 804
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 11:57

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post "They haven't been directly imaged, right?"

They have been but they deny that too. 

Doc, you seem to be really good with the different versions of SE, is there an old version that uses Open GL 2.1 (which is what I have on my laptop?)  I found the download site for versions 0.94 and 0.95
It annoys me that I can use SE on my desktop which has windows XP but can't use it on my laptop which has windows 7, because sucky intel graphics on the laptop don't go beyond open gl 2.1  (even though Starry Night Pro Plus 7 and Stellarium 0.15.2 work fine on it.)
 
User avatar
kipster
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Posts: 31
Joined: 20 Aug 2017

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 12:01

the korean hydrogen bomb test has been on the news for about 8 hours now.
"Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
 
A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 804
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 12:23

kipster wrote:
the korean hydrogen bomb test has been on the news for about 8 hours now.

why don't humans do something useful for a change and instead of making and testing bombs use all funds to make a controllable fusion reactor?  If we invested all the money that we waste on military purposes towards a more noble goal like that, we'd have controllable fusion in less than 10 years.
 
User avatar
midtskogen
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 395
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 12:51

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Wow, that's amazing you have so much quake gear.  And you recorded it all the way from Oslo?  I wonder how high the Tunguska Event would have been recorded with your gear- it was felt all the way in London!
Even a 5.6 quake can be quite damaging- the ones that have occurred in Oklahoma from wastewater injection from fracking have damaged the foundations of houses and quake insurance prices have skyrocketed there.

Actually, it takes very simple gear to detect a M6 quake anywhere in the world.  The Tunguska event would be hard to detect as it was an atmopsheric event.  The blast hitting the ground below the explosion would cause a seismic event, but not a very strong one.  I have some geophones which might pick up infrasound, but indirectly only through ground movement when the sound hits the ground.  I highly doubt that the Tunguska event was felt in London.  I think what you refer to is that the night sky brightened in London.  M5.6 is pretty strong if shallow and can cause serious damage, but fatalities are few or none.  I was 40 km from the M6.0 2014 Napa earthquake, and it surely rocked.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI
 
A-L-E-X
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 804
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Totally off-topic thread

03 Sep 2017 13:11

midtskogen wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Wow, that's amazing you have so much quake gear.  And you recorded it all the way from Oslo?  I wonder how high the Tunguska Event would have been recorded with your gear- it was felt all the way in London!
Even a 5.6 quake can be quite damaging- the ones that have occurred in Oklahoma from wastewater injection from fracking have damaged the foundations of houses and quake insurance prices have skyrocketed there.

Actually, it takes very simple gear to detect a M6 quake anywhere in the world.  The Tunguska event would be hard to detect as it was an atmopsheric event.  The blast hitting the ground below the explosion would cause a seismic event, but not a very strong one.  I have some geophones which might pick up infrasound, but indirectly only through ground movement when the sound hits the ground.  I highly doubt that the Tunguska event was felt in London.  I think what you refer to is that the night sky brightened in London.  M5.6 is pretty strong if shallow and can cause serious damage, but fatalities are few or none.  I was 40 km from the M6.0 2014 Napa earthquake, and it surely rocked.

Yes, those manmade quakes are shallow, no deaths but plenty of property damage.  Seismologists think they will get stronger.
I'm interested in infrasound.  Is it true that it can cause feelings of paranoia and even hallucinations among people?  There is a theory that infrasound has led to ghost sightings and feelings of fear during thunderstorms.
Did you hear about the incident in Cuba where a sound device which can emit frequencies both above and below human hearing may have caused concussive symptoms and even permanent hearing damage and loss of balance and migraines in US diplomats?  I had also read that the US was developing a device like that for crowd control (it works on pain receptors long range during protests and causes people, in worst cases, to lose consciousness from severe pain.)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest