Free planetarium

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

12 Apr 2017 08:00

I am following JackDole's example and responding here.

Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post Heh, the nihilistic perspective of this is fun to think about.  Would it be more depressing to live in a universe where everything you do doesn't matter because it is doomed to repeat endlessly exactly the same, or to live in a universe where everything you do doesn't matter because it is doomed to heat death?

I used to get depressed at the thought of both, but then I realized it doesn't really matter.  Nihilism doesn't have to be negative, it doesn't have to be positive, the universe doesn't care and the only meaning you or I or anyone can ever find in this life is the meaning we choose.  Objectively the universe has no ultimate purpose, oh well the only reason humans seem to care is because we evolved to build tools and give purpose to things.

However in regards to your question both are the same thing.  You can't remember how many times you have lived this life, so it is no different than living through it once.  In both instances, and in our current understanding, the game is rigged, there is no true freedom in anything we do.  The most you can do is live in the illusion of now and just try to make the most of life, or don't cause the universe certainly isn't going to care either way.

JackDole wrote:
Source of the post I think every universe must have some 'loss'.

The problem is this is a human notion of things always coming from something else.  The universe is not obliged to conform to human conceit.  To have a loss there must be an initial gain, yet so far evidence suggests the universe is at balance with itself, suggesting it could come from nothing.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Banana
Space Tourist

Totally off-topic thread

12 Apr 2017 14:19

I'm going to have fun, regardless of whether I have free-will or not!
Bananas are eggcellent.

JackDole
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

13 Apr 2017 09:23

I do not believe in the meaning of the universe and I do not believe in the meaning of life in general.

But I believe in the meaning of life in particular.
I believe in the meaning of my life. That I can ask myself whether the universe has a meaning, and how the universe works, is the meaning of my life. Amongst other things. :|

I do not believe in a cyclic universe in which the same play is played over and over again. This would contradict quantum theory, in my view.
But I believe that cyclic universes are possible in the sense that they expand, contract, expand, and so on.
But if we live in such a universe, ours may be the last one in the series. For obviously the matter in our universe is not enough for it to contract again.
The amount of energy and matter in these universes may always be the same, but the distribution may always be different.
The initial distribution of matter and anti-matter may be different. Perhaps there was a universe before us that contained more anti-matter than matter, so it was an anti-matter universe.
And in our universe now, the difference between matter and anti-matter is so small that only so little matter is left that it no longer suffices for a contraction of the universe.

Actually, however, I believe that universes are created and disappear like blossoms that bloom and wither again.
This may happen now. Somewhere outside our universe, perhaps, a new universe is being created right now. Or many universes.
Or it may happen rarely. Maybe after an almost infinite time. But what happened once can happen again when there is an infinite amount of time available.

longname
Space Tourist
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Totally off-topic thread

13 Apr 2017 11:41

JackDole wrote:
Source of the post Or it may happen rarely. Maybe after an almost infinite time. But what happened once can happen again when there is an infinite amount of time available.

In my context, infinity means Forever. Saying "almost infinite" is like taking a step and saying you're on the other side of the 4D hyper-sphere the universe may reside.
Previously as "connorneal2005"
"I am a futurist. I don't want to believe humans won't become futuristic." - Me

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

13 Apr 2017 11:43

JackDole wrote:
Source of the post Or it may happen rarely. Maybe after an almost infinite time. But what happened once can happen again when there is an infinite amount of time available.

That is the entire point of living the same life forever on repeat.  If time is infinite then it can happen again and it will happen again, you are forever going to relive your life.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB

longname
Space Tourist
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Totally off-topic thread

13 Apr 2017 11:53

Hornblower wrote:
Is anyone able to access the old forum?

I can :)
old.spaceengine.org/forum
Previously as "connorneal2005"
"I am a futurist. I don't want to believe humans won't become futuristic." - Me

JackDole
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

14 Apr 2017 00:01

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post That is the entire point of living the same life forever on repeat.

But first, there are a lot of other lives to live. All imaginable lives! 8-)
Somehow this thought did not depress me at all. :|

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

14 Apr 2017 01:32

JackDole wrote:
Source of the post But first, there are a lot of other lives to live. All imaginable lives! 8-)

I don't think that applies because you are a result of what has happened to you and what makes you up.  This sorta notion suggests you can only be you in the life you are living now so everything else is not you.

JackDole
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

14 Apr 2017 02:37

Well, let's suppose there were two lives that would have gone all the way to a definite decision, a certain event, and I would make another decision, another event would happen: I think I would still be myself .

Otherwise it would be a world where I exist up to a certain point in time and then another person takes my place.

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

14 Apr 2017 02:40

JackDole wrote:
Source of the post and I would make another decision, another event would happen: I think I would still be myself .

And you are you now.  Who you are is dependent on the state of your brain, the progression of self is an illusion of those processes. 
To put simply, you can't be someone who isn't you because you are you. 
This is a similar notion to the anthropic principle, you can't be somewhere you can't be.

JackDole
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

14 Apr 2017 03:17

But I believe I am always me. With all the many different choices I could have made in my life.

In other words, the cat in Schrödinger's experiment is always the same cat.
The dead cat is the same cat as the living cat.

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

14 Apr 2017 03:33

JackDole wrote:
Source of the post I believe I am always me

The illusion of self is a powerful thing, sometimes life is only tolerable when you live in the illusion.

Hornblower
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

17 Apr 2017 16:36

Holy Cow! The original Heyeayea song broke 100 million views yesterday

Break out the champagne
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Totally off-topic thread

18 Apr 2017 15:24

A-L-E-X
Explorer

Totally off-topic thread

19 Apr 2017 11:57

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
I am following JackDole's example and responding here.

Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post Heh, the nihilistic perspective of this is fun to think about.  Would it be more depressing to live in a universe where everything you do doesn't matter because it is doomed to repeat endlessly exactly the same, or to live in a universe where everything you do doesn't matter because it is doomed to heat death?

I used to get depressed at the thought of both, but then I realized it doesn't really matter.  Nihilism doesn't have to be negative, it doesn't have to be positive, the universe doesn't care and the only meaning you or I or anyone can ever find in this life is the meaning we choose.  Objectively the universe has no ultimate purpose, oh well the only reason humans seem to care is because we evolved to build tools and give purpose to things.

However in regards to your question both are the same thing.  You can't remember how many times you have lived this life, so it is no different than living through it once.  In both instances, and in our current understanding, the game is rigged, there is no true freedom in anything we do.  The most you can do is live in the illusion of now and just try to make the most of life, or don't cause the universe certainly isn't going to care either way.

JackDole wrote:
Source of the post I think every universe must have some 'loss'.

The problem is this is a human notion of things always coming from something else.  The universe is not obliged to conform to human conceit.  To have a loss there must be an initial gain, yet so far evidence suggests the universe is at balance with itself, suggesting it could come from nothing.

Or the universe itself could just be a simulation ;-)  The holographic principle does have some legs to it.