Ultimate space simulation software

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Astronomical Image Repository

10 Apr 2018 13:27

A friend of mine asked me to post this and I agreed because it sounds awesome:

Hello all! I currently work on research as a PhD student that bridges one known gap between astrophysics & computer science. 
This has taken me down the route of possibly using simulated images to train my deep models using SpaceEngine, a universe simulator. 
The task involves collecting a random assortment of simulated planets, suns, etc.. from different distances and angles. 
I am already fully prepared & equipped to do this on my own, but in the process, my thought was to create a repository for outside use. 
In general, it would act as a resource for other people looking for specific astronomical images (pure interest, research, etc..). 
If you don't know what a repository is, you can Google 'MNIST', which is a repository created for digit recognition and consists of tens of thousands of handwritten digit images. 
I am seeing if anyone is interested in helping to create this repository with me. 
It would entail collecting images & exploring SpaceEngine, categorizing the images, and/or possibly writing code/macros to do this automatically for us. 
The image collection is at the beginning phases so it is a perfect time to see if anyone is interested. Anyone who helps will be featured on the repository header! 
I am doing this out of pure interest in spreading interest about astronomy & creating a resource that may help others in the future. 
If that is something that interests you, please feel free to e-mail me: jcbthree [at] gmail [dot] com or add me as a friend on Discord Bunny#4509.
i9 9900K - 5.0MHz, Palit 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, Vive Pro