Mr. Missed Her
Astronaut
Astronaut

Theology and Spirituality

29 Sep 2017 09:42

A-L-E-X wrote:
Mr. Missed Her wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Could also explain how some people retain memories of events happening around them, even in comas.

People could still have sensory input in a coma, which somehow finds its way into the memory of their glitchy brain. Because brains are complicated. But it's possible that while their physical brain is completely non-functional, their "ghost brain" detaches from their physical brain because it has less physical electromagnetism to hold on to. The "ghost brain" which I will just start calling a soul for convenience shouldn't still be able to receive some kind of input from its ghost senses, so maybe the soul can observe the physical world's imprint on the ghost electromagnetic world. If this is true, then you should be able to see other souls only when you yourself are a body-less soul.

I wonder if they could sense the exact position of people and the color of the clothes they were wearing though, as well as the "floating body" experience many report.  As you're well aware, most of the body's sensory input as well as neural input/output consist of electrical signals- we are electrical beings as far as our consciousness is concerned.

Because of my lack of understanding of this force (it is, after all, complete conjecture), I'd say that it's possible. But there isn't really any reason to expect that your experience as a body-less soul would correspond completely with a world, because while everything should have a slight imprint on the ghost electromagnetic world, this world would be different. Your "brain ghost" might not even be able to function right when not paired with your physical brain. 
Space is very spacious.

Votyn
Observer
Observer

02 Oct 2017 15:03

Maybe there is some part of our brain that can connect with some complex mainly magnetic information structure that normally works in conjunction with the body but can also, when the body is incapacitated for whatever reason, act on its own. 
It's all part of that question "what is consciousness" though that noone seems to be able to definitively answer, though such a magnetic theory might also explain the 20 grams weight of the soul thing...
"What are you, made of pixels?" "No. I make pixels."
Ray Votyn - Administrator on the Space Engine Discord Server.

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder

02 Oct 2017 15:09

Votyn wrote:
Source of the post It's all part of that question "what is consciousness" though that noone seems to be able to definitively answer, though such a magnetic theory might also explain the 20 grams weight of the soul thing...

There are hints as to the nature of consciousness and the emergence of mind and they definitely do not agree with that notion.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Mouthwash
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

02 Oct 2017 17:44

Qualia is the real problem, much more so than consciousness. Although people often mean the former when they speak of the latter.
Last edited by Mouthwash on 03 Oct 2017 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Missed Her
Astronaut
Astronaut

03 Oct 2017 07:18

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Votyn wrote:
Source of the post It's all part of that question "what is consciousness" though that noone seems to be able to definitively answer, though such a magnetic theory might also explain the 20 grams weight of the soul thing...

There are hints as to the nature of consciousness and the emergence of mind and they definitely do not agree with that notion.

Besides, if you really had a soul that weighed 20 grams, your soul would contain a ridiculous amount of energy. It would probably be leaking regular electromagnetism all over the place, and if that didn't happen, animals could store energy in their soul, allowing them to go forever without food. So whatever those 20 grams were, they didn't belong to a soul.
Space is very spacious.