Ultimate space simulation software

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

11 Apr 2020 04:36

I had the same issue with my viewsonic years ago which btw cost me over 1k.  It's PSU died from always running too hot (discolored PCB).  It started off just randomly turning off every now and then and got more frequent to the point it wouldn't power up any more.

I replaced some caps and burnt resistors and it worked for another month before something on the main board died. I sold it for scrap parts.

Even when the monitor was in warranty they couldn't replace it like for like or of a similar sized monitor, it was a 28" and they stopped making 28" with 24" now being the biggest (at the time), I refused to accept smaller.   They didn't even have spares for it so I couldn't even fix it.

Last time I ever touched their products.  Didn't even last the 2 years so very disappointing the least to say.   

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

A very PC discussion

12 Apr 2020 04:19

Monitors have PSU?  I didn't know that!  Wow it sounds like my unit may die early, although it's working for now on default settings.  I wont try to stress it though.  My old Sony monitor is still working well (knock on wood) and it's from 2005, I just had to brighten up the display so I guess it is slightly dimmer then it was years ago.  But the Viewsonic has been in use since 2013.  I'm glad I have a BenQ as back up in case the Viewsonic goes bad.
By the way, they didn't ship a stand with the Viewsonic and told me they'd charge me an extra $100 for one lol even though it was supposed to come with the display......

The BenQ will be my last DVI display.  I think this Gigabyte 1060 6 GB card might be my last dual DVI card too, I'm not sure if they make them anymore.

I did do an upgrade this past month, but it wasn't for a new monitor or video card, I upgraded to Crucial 32 GB DDR4-2666 (2x16GB) memory from Kingston 16 GB DDR4-2666 (2x8GB) memory.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

12 Apr 2020 04:39

I got my viewsonic in 2008 and it only lasted to 2010.   I still got my AOC from the same year and I got a Dell one from 2001 that still works.   My Samsung got that screen "cancer" thing I mentioned a while back it lasted from 2009 to 2019 so 10 years is decent.

Now I got a 31.5" LG  (32GK650F)  Very good monitor. It's great to be back to a greater than 28" after 10 years of being stuck on 20"

Nice thing is this one had an external PSU so if it goes bad I can just replace that no probs.  It really reduces the screen thickness and heat output too.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

A very PC discussion

12 Apr 2020 05:04

The LG seems to be the best one you have!  I also bought a Dell in 2001 and that one lasted me until 2013 which was when I got the Viewsonic.  The Dell was a big 1600x1200 screen, I miss it!  I dont think they make that size anymore.....

That old Dell was $1700 back in 2001!

Looks like this Sony from 2005 is going to outlast all my other ones lol.  It was less than $600.  Only inconvenient thing about it are that the power and control buttons are at the bottom!

Do you connect all your screens to the same computer and use them all at once?

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

12 Apr 2020 19:18

I do it the other way, connect all my PCs to the same display where I can and switch input depending on which PC I use. Only issue is my other PC atm has DVI only where my screen is DP and HDMI so I need to get an adapter.

My LG monitor I got last year is 1440p, great upgrade from 900p that's for sure!

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

A very PC discussion

14 Apr 2020 12:53

vlad01 wrote:
I do it the other way, connect all my PCs to the same display where I can and switch input depending on which PC I use. Only issue is my other PC atm has DVI only where my screen is DP and HDMI so I need to get an adapter.

My LG monitor I got last year is 1440p, great upgrade from 900p that's for sure!

You can get those adapters pretty cheaply, I have two gold plated ones that are DVI---> HDMI
That Viewsonic monitor sucks, I can only now get it to work if I hold the power cable lol.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

A very PC discussion

29 Apr 2020 10:49

My secondary monitor is working again, but when I tried to run both 0990 and 0980 at the same time, it went out again (but its power light stayed on- strange!).  I shut off the computer from the UPS and restarted and it's working again, and it works fine as long as I only run 0990.

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

A very PC discussion

08 May 2020 12:12

I've upped my RAM from 16 to 32 GB ([email protected] QuadChannel)). But I couldn't find same latency as my original kit (CL15) and had to compromise with CL16. Hope its not a big deal performance wise :( ..

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

A very PC discussion

12 May 2020 13:10

N0B0DY wrote:
I've upped my RAM from 16 to 32 GB ([email protected] QuadChannel)). But I couldn't find same latency as my original kit (CL15) and had to compromise with CL16. Hope its not a big deal performance wise :( ..

Ugh maybe I should have gone for upgrading my video card instead, the Gigabyte 1060 6 GB..... but I couldn't find any other card with dual DVI ports.....
Has the additional RAM impacted your SE performance?
On a more positive note, I got my Viewsonic monitor to work by propping it up on a wall (since it didn't come with a stand for some reason.)

rightpath99
Observer
Observer

A very PC discussion

24 May 2020 21:48

I need to fix my CPU, it was working fine for last year, but yesterday it creates problem and corona is all over there, any person available to fix my device at my home or I have to go to service centre, I am from michigan, https://countrywisecodes.com/united-states/Ovid/post-zip-code/48866, I need my machine to be back in working condition, Is there any technical person availabe then text me, I am unable to figure out what happens to it, suddenly It stopped working, I am damm sure that any power supply is broken or melt up while heating.

willi55
Observer
Observer

A very PC discussion

02 Jun 2020 11:56

Cool. Recently I started using vpn to protect my privacy and now I have access to the blocked content. So convy! I found info about best services here https://veepn.com/vpn-apps/vpn-for-windows/ . Nowadays it's a must have tool to protect data from online snoopers.