Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

08 May 2019 17:54

Well they have. Don't let nvidia's flag planting make you think they own the tech
Going to burst your bubble because AMD is NOT competing in that video.

Ray tracing has been possible in screen spaced reflections and everything else shown in the RTX and DXR lineup for over a decade if not longer in various previous forms.

What you are seeing in that video is rendering my old 5870 could do in 1920x1080 at around 30fps.  The big reason ray tracing is a thing now is because of Nvidia and their dedicated hardware, you cannot beat this without dedicated hardware which AMD does not have.  Nvidia is using multiple variations of ray tracing, specifically a form of selective path tracing, path tracing being notoriously noisy yet easier to render, followed by an AI denoising.  

If you don't have the hardware you cannot do SSRTGI or RTAO or any other advanced ray tracing in a playable framerate or higher resolution, it has nothing to do with software and everything to do with dedicated hardware.

No RT or Tensor cores?  No playable framerate.

My 1080 Ti dances circles around my brother's RTX 2070 in standard rasterization, in the released demos using DXR his GPU runs them flawlessly while mine chugs.  You can't program your way out of this one.
I have way more issues with Intel rather than Nvidia (despite Nvidia's draconian NDA).  Intel was basically at a stand still and charging excessive amounts for old technology and doesn't let you use the same board when a new generation of cpu come out.  It's ironic that AMD competes much better against Intel than it does against Nvidia, since Intel is the real Goliath.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

18 May 2019 22:12

HUB finally did a review I have been requesting and looks like I bet on the right monitor. :D

Its the only flat VA 32" 144Hz 1440p monitor in Aus I could find and its great, it mostly performs better than the equivalent ones only available in the US. It's also inexpensive at 480-570ish AUD depending on store, good gaming monitors are typically 650-1000AUD

Finally a win for us poor Aussie PC consumers.

[youtube]GB5m_VuvSLM[/youtube]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

01 Aug 2019 17:50

New Ryzen processors are out, up to 12c/24t, 16c/32t upcoming later this year :)

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

06 Aug 2019 11:54

I had an old computer laying around with 16 gigs of ram. I was able to transfer that ram into my current computer because that computer has issues and it's sort of outdated, though at least the ram is better than having 8 gigs of ram. I've noticed a definite improvement in my computer's speed. It's a 2015 HP pavilion, though I am likely going to want to get a new computer at some point since this one is getting old.
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

24 Aug 2019 01:09

I thought this was pretty impressive, a hardware agnostic implementation of ray tracing, in minecraft out of all games and the minimal performance hit to visual improvement is quite astounding!   It actually performs better than real RTX lol and you can run it on older hardware like an rx580. It would be amazing if SE could implement such a lighting system. The water on planets would be the icing on the cake for SE, to look like it does here.

[youtube]nt2iURehGkE[/youtube]

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

A very PC discussion

26 Aug 2019 18:40

I thought this was pretty impressive, a hardware agnostic implementation of ray tracing, in minecraft out of all games and the minimal performance hit to visual improvement is quite astounding!   It actually performs better than real RTX lol and you can run it on older hardware like an rx580. It would be amazing if SE could implement such a lighting system. The water on planets would be the icing on the cake for SE, to look like it does here.
The only reason that works at all is because everything in Minecraft is made of, essentially, meter-sized voxels, which allows massive simplifications and generalizations to be made, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to present something like that at a playable framerate. Even so, the PTGI mod has pretty lousy performance unless you turn the settings so far down as to defeat the purpose of using PTGI in the first place (at least that was the case last time I used it).

Something like that is absolutely not an option for SE unless you want 25 fps at 720p on a 1080 Ti.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

27 Aug 2019 02:47

Something like that is absolutely not an option for SE unless you want 25 fps at 720p on a 1080 Ti.
Yeah, I pretty much agree. Unreal Engine provides very realistic graphics even not implementing ray-tracing (you can use it in the last versions but only if you have a compatible GPU), so it's not convenient to focus on it since you can pretty much have the same quality without  :)

Still I'm one of those who watches Minecraft SEUS videos because they're very impressive.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

A very PC discussion

27 Aug 2019 04:35

Yeah, ray tracing is indeed an awesome way to do things, but the hardware to allow it to be widely implemented in high-resolution real-time graphics just didn't exist until the advent of Nvidia's RTX cards, which are still not that great at it and which are used by only a small fraction of the population. Give it a few more generations and it will be a different story (maybe 4-5 years from now).

In the meantime, we already have very impressive tools for rasterization which can perform very well on existing hardware.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

02 Sep 2019 13:42

Is it a good idea to upgrade from a 1060 6 GB to a 2060 6 GB?  The speed increase doesn't matter too much to me, I want a version with 2 DVI ports.  I have one of the few 1060 that had 2 DVI (Gigabyte) and I am wondering if there is a 2060 that has them too? I have HDMI->DVI adapters but I dont really want to use them.

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

A very PC discussion

02 Sep 2019 14:37

Yeah, ray tracing is indeed an awesome way to do things, but the hardware to allow it to be widely implemented in high-resolution real-time graphics just didn't exist until the advent of Nvidia's RTX cards, which are still not that great at it and which are used by only a small fraction of the population. Give it a few more generations and it will be a different story (maybe 4-5 years from now).

In the meantime, we already have very impressive tools for rasterization which can perform very well on existing hardware.
I tried the SOTI from Doctors discord pak, which uses PBR (if I understand correctly), and got very low fps (~10-12fps) on my setup at 5760x1080p (tripple 1920x1080) on ultra settings. On High settings I got something around ~ 25-30fps when orbiting in low altitude around planets and maybe 35-40 fps in interstellar space. When I spawned a 2nd ship (not PBR one :)) it became almost unplayable. So would I benefit from an RTX card like the 2080ti or the titan RTX? Just curious - neither have the money nor the intention to buy one - the 2nd is irrelevant due to the 1st of course :) ..
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

A very PC discussion

02 Sep 2019 18:46

I tried the SOTI from Doctors discord pak, which uses PBR (if I understand correctly), and got very low fps (~10-12fps) on my setup at 5760x1080p (tripple 1920x1080) on ultra settings. On High settings I got something around ~ 25-30fps when orbiting in low altitude around planets and maybe 35-40 fps in interstellar space. When I spawned a 2nd ship (not PBR one :)) it became almost unplayable. So would I benefit from an RTX card like the 2080ti or the titan RTX? Just curious - neither have the money nor the intention to buy one - the 2nd is irrelevant due to the 1st of course :) ..
That has nothing to do with ray tracing, it generates an environment map centered on the spacecraft which is used for the reflection. If warp/reflections are set to high, the envmap is updated every single frame, and that will cause a significant slowdown, especially if your envmap resolution is set to a high value. Change the setting to medium, so it updates less frequently. It will still look good, and performance will be way better. You won't notice the difference unless you're going extremely fast or are moving very close over the surface of a planet.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

26 Sep 2019 09:49

Rest in peace dear R9 270.

Sadly my video card has stopped working after 5 years of hard work. It's probably my fault because I downloaded Quake Champions and I couldn't stand the low textures it suggested me, so I tried full-res. The game didn't even load before it all became full black and I couldn't see anything else.
I can still use my computer thanks to the integrated graphics of my i7-4770, but I can't play any game anymore. I'll remain GPU-less until I will be able to buy a new one. (I could right now but I prefer to save some money before)

What do you guys suggest me in 150€/200€ range? I've seen the MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB that is a very good card, but nVidia RTX has the real time ray tracing that is a very interesting technology, even if it's not in my spending range. Also SE seems to be working better on nVidia cards.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

A very PC discussion

27 Sep 2019 02:21

RIP :|
Futurum Fusionem

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

28 Sep 2019 02:39

Rest in peace dear R9 270.

Sadly my video card has stopped working after 5 years of hard work. It's probably my fault because I downloaded Quake Champions and I couldn't stand the low textures it suggested me, so I tried full-res. The game didn't even load before it all became full black and I couldn't see anything else.
I can still use my computer thanks to the integrated graphics of my i7-4770, but I can't play any game anymore. I'll remain GPU-less until I will be able to buy a new one. (I could right now but I prefer to save some money before)

What do you guys suggest me in 150€/200€ range? I've seen the MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB that is a very good card, but nVidia RTX has the real time ray tracing that is a very interesting technology, even if it's not in my spending range. Also SE seems to be working better on nVidia cards.
You might like the RTX 2060 6 GB.  I have the 1060 6 GB and it works fine with highest settings on SE but the RTX 2060 6 GB is only 100 dollars more.  I stuck with the 1060 6 GB though because thats the highest card I can find with two native DVI ports.  If you can find a better card that has them let me know!

PS what killed your card exactly?  I heard keeping GPU usage in the 50% or less range keeps GPU in good working condition for a decade or more- is that true?

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

A very PC discussion

29 Sep 2019 04:42

It's probably my fault because I downloaded Quake Champions and I couldn't stand the low textures it suggested me, so I tried full-res. The game didn't even load before it all became full black and I couldn't see anything else.
WT*? This shouldn't have happened! Software should be incapable of causing hardware damage imo. It must have been another reason.
I heard keeping GPU usage in the 50% or less range keeps GPU in good working condition for a decade or more- is that true?
Again WT*? My gpu is constantly running at >99% when playing SE or Elite. Again software should NOT be capable of damaging the hardware. As a precaution though I have reduced its temperature target thermal throttling cap from 82 C[sup]o[/sup] to 76C[sup]o[/sup], its max energy/power usage from 100% to 90% and finally its max GPU boost clock from 1618MHz to 1582MHz (the default NVIDIA's factory value for the GTX1080ti chip). So my card is slightly underclocked now. I'd expect all the above to be more than enough to extend my GPUs life to at least ~10y even if running 99%@~76C[sup]o[/sup] during gaming. If that is not the case the H*ll with NVIDIA & AMD - I want my money baaacckkkk  :x :x
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0