Ultimate space simulation software

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

20 Dec 2017 12:29

what makes me sad is always to see the north pole with red-orange colors....it's always above average... :(
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

20 Dec 2017 15:02

The average is often the 1961-1990 average, which was a cold period in the arctic (also colder than the 1931-1960 average).  When this month is over Svalbard airport will have had its 85th consecutive month with an average temperature above the 1961-1990 normal.  And today at 79°N north a temperature of +2.6 °C was measured.  The sun only reaches 13 degrees below the horizon there these days, i.e. noon is pitch black apart from a faint greenish hint of twilight near the southern horizon.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Fireinthehole
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Unusual weather

20 Dec 2017 15:46

So its looking like this Christmas will be in the top 10 for coldest holidays for the Minneapolis area, with highs in the -10° F realms. Looking forward to it!

Reminds me of when I would sometimes encounter lifeterras in SE with an average air temperature of -10° F... :D
I envy you! I can't remember the last time we had a cold christmas (I'm guessing probably 2009). And I'm supposed to live in a cold country...

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

20 Dec 2017 16:35

can't remember the last time we had a cold christmas (I'm guessing probably 2009)
December 2010 (including Christmas) was very cold in much of Scandinavia.  Before that Christmas in 2002 was very cold, IIRC.

Mild spells in December are common in Scandinavia.  Norwegian even has an own word for a mild spell in December, "kakelinne", from the belief that the cause was all the baking for Christmas.  So most Christmases are somewhat warmer than average which is offset by the occasional very cold Christmas.  The average temperature is a bit misleading.  We should perhaps speak of the median temperature instead.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

20 Dec 2017 20:16

And today at 79°N north a temperature of +2.6 °C was measured.  The sun only reaches 13 degrees below the horizon there these days, i.e. noon is pitch black apart from a faint greenish hint of twilight near the southern horizon.
I would love to experience a few days or weeks of that.

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

21 Dec 2017 07:53

last time we had snow is almost 3 years ago. i miss it so much, and i want to see it again as long as i am still young. in average snow falls here every 2 years out of 3 years for 1 day atleast. but now it is almost 3 winters in row without snow. the models show a good trend for the start of january for atleast 3 days. i know the range is very far and will change alot as you Watsisname, said. but a man can dream:
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

21 Dec 2017 12:21

I would love to experience a few days or weeks of that.
I would definitely recommend that.  It's very different from the polar night in mainland Norway, or Alaska, where there are several hours of twilight every day (and where only Venus and a few stars can be seen, and no aurora). There's only one place with easy access (daily flights) that can offer a proper starry sky and aurora at noon.  Luckily for me it's a domestic flight and a single work related trip to the US west coast earns me sufficient points for one free return ticket to Longyearbyen. :)

For a stay of a week it's best to start/end the stay a couple of days after/before full moon to experience the darkness as well as the moonshine which makes it much easier to leave the town lights.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

02 Jan 2018 10:38

if it will continue like that, will it be the coldest winter in east coast for a long time?
there is a trend that continue all way to next week (long range and can change):
-Andre Gide

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Unusual weather

02 Jan 2018 11:04

Polar Express is early this year. Brrrrr!!

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

02 Jan 2018 14:12

Sounds about right. It is usually around January where we get a brief thaw for a week or two here in Minnesota. :)
Specs: STGAubron desktop PC; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 12 GB Vram, Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz, 12 cpus; 32 GB RAM; Windows 11 x64

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

02 Jan 2018 14:16

While the US east is cold, much of Siberia is mild.
day.png
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

08 Jan 2018 02:57

This is a pretty satellite image taken Sunday. Two major storms hitting Norway.  The one seen slamming into central Norway was a powerful hurricane which gave gusts over land measured as high as 54.8 m/s.  The storm in the Norwegian sea is currently bashing Northern Norway.
met.png
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

Unusual weather

08 Jan 2018 14:12

I've heard on the news that snow fell in Sahara recently. It was strange to hear that, but not much surprised to be honest. I've searched on the internet to hear if it is true, and found out that this is third time to happen in 40 years. It happened in town Ain Sefra, Algeria. 
Here is one picture of the snow I found on one webpage about this event:
And also, as I was searching for this snow, I found that same thing happened in 2016, and some other dates which is pretty close to this one. So, I think it's not that rare to snow here. But it's still Sahara, and there shouldn't be snow like this.
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

08 Jan 2018 21:44

Deserts can have large temperature swings as Midts and I experienced in central Oregon, and Ain Sefra is the same latitude as Dallas Texas, where it also snows.  So I don't think it's too surprising.  Perhaps more surprising than that it can snow there is that there can be precipitation there.

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer

Unusual weather

08 Jan 2018 23:22

Well, it's cold even here in Israel, but there is some pleasant rain (I live in the desert).