Ultimate space simulation software

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

04 Feb 2017 06:08

there is no snow in denmark?  its so north!
There is, but very little. Stupid global warming.
Actually, i have an idea that explains why there is not very much snow here in Denmark. When cold weather goes from the Arctic to Denmark, it probably passes through the North Sea, where most of the snowy weather probably goes to the British islands or Norway.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

04 Feb 2017 06:14

Actually, i have an idea that explains why there is not very much snow here in Denmark. When cold weather goes from the Arctic to Denmark, it probably passes through the North Sea, where most of the snowy weather probably goes to the British islands or Norway.
actually i think the british islands suffer from no snow in the recent years too. (exept few mega storms that hitted there like in 2010-2011)
and i know its not only denmark, the netherland also has little amount of snow. lets wait for expert answer!  :)
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

04 Feb 2017 06:25

Yeah, let´s wait. If my idea is wrong, i have literally no idea what could cause it.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

04 Feb 2017 08:47

Any such measurement must be reviewed and demonstrate good methodology before being accepted as an official world record.
Besides good methodology, you must have the same methodology to be able to to comparisons.  Since snow compacts quickly, it matters whether the measurement and cleaning is done daily, three times a day or once a week.  And even if it's done once a day everywhere, even the time of the day might matter.  In any case 29 meters is a lot. :) It's hard to imagine 1 meter of snow that has to be shovelled every week from mid October to mid May.  15 cm a day could be manageable, but if it's rather 1 meter overnight once a week, it would be pretty back breaking.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

04 Feb 2017 08:55

Denmark rarely gets large amount of snow because most precipitation comes from moist Atlantic air (SW) which is warm and usually gives rain.  Cold air usually comes from the NW with little precipitation.  Also, Denmark is all low elevation.
The Atlantic Ocean is warm.  It may bring warm air and rain in the middle of the winter as far as 80°N.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

04 Feb 2017 09:01

midtskogen, thanks for the info! but what about my region? why the middle east or countries near the mediterranean sea gets lot amount of snow when its cold enough (polar mass reaching the area. 1-2 times per year for here)
the mediterranean sea is also pretty warm doesnt it? and it's much more south than denmark
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

04 Feb 2017 09:06

Thank you midtskogen. I had literally no idea why we don´t have much snow here in Denmark.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

04 Feb 2017 11:06

why the middle east or countries near the mediterranean sea gets lot amount of snow when its cold enough
My guess is that you can have cold, polar air meeting a front with moist air, which can dump a lot of snow.  That can happen in Denmark as well.
Latitude isn't everything.  It can be snowing in Florida while it's raining north of 80°N.  Wind and sea currents matter more.  Shetland's coldest month averages 4°C, and Shetland is situated just north of 60N°, while the Orcadas station's warmest month averages 0°C, and Orcadas is located off the Antarctic peninsula just south of 60°S.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

04 Feb 2017 16:58

Besides good methodology, you must have the same methodology to be able to to comparisons.  Since snow compacts quickly, it matters whether the measurement and cleaning is done daily, three times a day or once a week. 
Yeah, they're done daily (info in the link with the press release).  Detailed information on the official snow measurement procedures can also be found through NOAA, because of course it's important that the same methodology is followed everywhere and that potential sources of error and bias are minimized.  Otherwise it would be very easy to get inconsistent and incomparable data -- measuring snowfall can be very fickle. :)

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

05 Feb 2017 12:35

The fog finally lifted somewhat today, and had left a thick layer of icing (literally) on the forest.  It may look like snow heaven, but it's mostly almost pure ice weighing down the trees, not so much snow, and truth is that we're having the least snowy winter in almost 30 years in Oslo.  It's February, yet the snow depth today was just 21 cm, in fact less than in early November.  Both December and January were mild and dry.
► Show Spoiler
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

05 Feb 2017 13:04

midtskogen,looks beautiful! 21 centimeters is indeed low for the peak of the winter.
midtskogen, do you read and know about 500hpa or 850hpa maps? that what i use to forecast the weather myself.
the european model today showed this:
it may be snowy here in 9 days if it will really happen (few models still doesnt show it reaching us)
so i may finally have snow here after 2 years of waiting.
i will post images if it will. and it seems it will be more than 20 centimeters if it will reach us. every snowy storm here brings about 20-50 centimeters in average, in the last storm of 2015 i measured 40 centimeters and i think i posted it in the old forum  :D
what i hate about the after-snow weather here is that right after the storm there is warm and sunny days and the snow is all gone after a week even if its more than 30 centimeters on ground. in 2015 it took few days for all the snow to melt and 2 weeks after we had 20c days
-Andre Gide

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

05 Feb 2017 13:31

Spacer, the image didn't make it to the post.  I know those maps, but I don't forecast myself.  Others do that better. :)  But such maps are useful for understanding the weather situation
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

05 Feb 2017 20:21

it may be snowy here in 9 days if it will really happen (few models still doesnt show it reaching us)
so i may finally have snow here after 2 years of waiting.
Wow.  I hope you get some. :)  20-50cm for an average storm is a pretty decent snowfall.  Here in the coastal lowlands it's rare for us to get even a few centimeters a couple times in a year, though this winter has been an odd exception.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

07 Feb 2017 02:44

Warm Atlantic air gives rain as far as 80°N today.
x.png
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

Unusual weather

10 Feb 2017 12:05

Wow.  I hope you get some.
and again the polar mass will skip us and go north to syria. lebanon and turkey.  :cry:
it could be the most snowy season on record here. so much potential but it always skip again and again this season by like 200km
-Andre Gide