Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

17 Jan 2020 16:38

I heard that snow has been making it down to sea level in Washington State!
Whilst in Scandinavia there is hardly any snow at the sea level now.  You need to go north of the arctic circle for that.  Here in Oslo we had a decent amount of snow in November, but since Christmas the NAO has sent a steady stream of lows with more rain than snow and the snow is now all gone in lower elevations, below 3-400 meters.  It's looking very much like the winters of 1989/90 and 1991/92, which were pretty unique in the 20th century.  Today we've had about 40 mm of rain and the temperature is stuck at +4C.
I remember those winters really well, very little snow and very warm winters after a very cold fall.  A solar maximum year in 1990 I think.  Pinatubo erupted in 1992 I think?

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Unusual weather

17 Jan 2020 17:51

I heard that snow has been making it down to sea level in Washington State!
Indeed!  My view on the 15th:
Snow along the coast here isn't incredibly rare (maybe every other year on average), but usually it's more like a dusting.  On Wednesday it was 20cm, and getting that much is a bit unusual (although last winter we had almost the exact same).  Then we had a pretty ferocious wind storm come through overnight which took down a lot of snow-loaded trees.  So there was some clean-up to do, then I enjoyed the rest of the day sledding.  It's been a fun week. :)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

25 Jan 2020 14:43

It's quite beautiful!  I wish there was a way for both coasts to get snow at the same time, we haven't had anything here except for rain and thunderstorms and lots of wind.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

10 Feb 2020 00:08

Extremely low pressure between Iceland and Norway.
pr.gif
pr.gif (29.7 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
Several meteorological stations in Norway will approach 940 hPa today, close to the all time low ever measured in Norway.  Even in Oslo I now measure 952 hPa, which is the lowest I've recorded and my record goes back 17 years.  This situation has brought a lot of severe weather across much of Europe, and the Norwegian coast may today see the largest storm surge ever recorded, since this extreme weather coincides with the full moon.  This is just the last storm in a series of similar storms this winter.  For me in Oslo it brought wind, fog, rain and sleet, and overnight most of the snow melted away, and for the first time in February (probably in 30 years) the snow depth is 0 cm in February here. There is very little snow below 400 masl near the coast now. A low pressure at Iceland and a high pressure at the Azores can get stuck for months during the winter.  This is the North Atlantic Oscillation, and we have a really bad case of it this winter, sending an neverending flow of warm humid air in the direction of Scandinavia.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

10 Feb 2020 14:12

Extremely low pressure between Iceland and Norway.
pr.gif

Several meteorological stations in Norway will approach 940 hPa today, close to the all time low ever measured in Norway.  Even in Oslo I now measure 952 hPa, which is the lowest I've recorded and my record goes back 17 years.  This situation has brought a lot of severe weather across much of Europe, and the Norwegian coast may today see the largest storm surge ever recorded, since this extreme weather coincides with the full moon.  This is just the last storm in a series of similar storms this winter.  For me in Oslo it brought wind, fog, rain and sleet, and overnight most of the snow melted away, and for the first time in February (probably in 30 years) the snow depth is 0 cm in February here. There is very little snow below 400 masl near the coast now. A low pressure at Iceland and a high pressure at the Azores can get stuck for months during the winter.  This is the North Atlantic Oscillation, and we have a really bad case of it this winter, sending an neverending flow of warm humid air in the direction of Scandinavia.
Is this Storm Ciara?  That was yet another big rainstorm for us, we have had record low snowfall totals and only 5% ice coverage on the Great Lakes; and the lake levels are about 4 ft above normal after years of above normal rainfall and low evaporation rates.

Chris94_NOR
Observer
Observer

Unusual weather

10 Feb 2020 14:56

Yes a lot of planes, mostly the aircrafts to Widerøe has been grounded in Northern Norway earlier today due to very low pressure

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

10 Feb 2020 16:55

the strong jet stream has caused a new transatlantic record for a commercial flight from New York to London, in 4.5 hours, whereas 6.5 hours is more normal.  The jet was flying around 850 mph!  London is 5 time zones away, whereas flying against the jet stream and going to California which is 3 time zones away is a 6 hour flight!

they called it the fastest subsonic flight, which I dont get- isn't the speed of sound 640 mph?  So 850 mph should actually be supersonic?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

10 Feb 2020 16:58

Yes a lot of planes, mostly the aircrafts to Widerøe has been grounded in Northern Norway earlier today due to very low pressure
the center of the storm passed very close to NYC before heading that way, the air pressure was down to 970 mph here with hurricane force winds at 75 mph!  How low was the pressure there and how fast were the winds?

Chris94_NOR
Observer
Observer

Unusual weather

10 Feb 2020 17:14

Have heard it has been down to 944 hPa which is considerably lower than there to you. It is not very much wind, light breeze or so.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

11 Feb 2020 00:29

Is this Storm Ciara?
Yes, but different name in different countries.  It's a very big weather system seriously affecting a huge area from the upper the 40's to lower 70's latitude.
It sounds really weird that the pressure is too low for planes to take off, but I think the issue is that these runways are no longer than really need to, and this this storm "moved" airports at sea level to 600 meter altitude pressure wise.

A very unusual storm, certainly once in a decade or more in many respects.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

11 Feb 2020 01:39

Have heard it has been down to 944 hPa
Officially, 942.7 hPa was the lowest recorded yesterday, not far from the all-time record in Norway (excluding off-shore measurements) of 938.5 hPa.  Combined with the full moon, and near minimum distance to the moon, the result was extremely high sea levels.  A near "perfect storm" in some ways.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Chris94_NOR
Observer
Observer

Unusual weather

11 Feb 2020 09:38

What i heard was Widerøe with their Dash 8 aircrafts they would have problems on the instruments to fly in such low pressure
Norwegian and SAS seemed to have no issues. Guess the larger aircrafts are able to fly in low pressure.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Unusual weather

11 Feb 2020 14:38

Is this Storm Ciara?
Yes, but different name in different countries.  It's a very big weather system seriously affecting a huge area from the upper the 40's to lower 70's latitude.
It sounds really weird that the pressure is too low for planes to take off, but I think the issue is that these runways are no longer than really need to, and this this storm "moved" airports at sea level to 600 meter altitude pressure wise.

A very unusual storm, certainly once in a decade or more in many respects.
What is going on?  I see a lot of forecasts for more of these superstorms in the upcoming week, even twin storms down to 918 hpa for next week!
The lowest air pressure I have experienced was Sandy at 940 hpa and 100 mph winds and no power for 25 hours!

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Unusual weather

11 Feb 2020 16:14

What is going on? 
The North Atlantic Oscillation is going on.  Low pressure near Iceland, high pressure near the Azores.  This makes an expressway of warm and humid air into northern Europe.

Oh boy, this paper turned out to be trash.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI