Good advice.

[youtube]GSfXldJyMik[/youtube]

Bablet
Observer
Observer

Totally off-topic thread

06 Apr 2021 15:46

Hello everyone!
I have a question: how can I edit a post that I already make??

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

06 Apr 2021 18:56

Bablet, You'll be able to do that after a certain amount of posts, see Forum Rules.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Bablet
Observer
Observer

Totally off-topic thread

07 Apr 2021 02:19

Bablet, You'll be able to do that after a certain amount of posts, see Forum Rules.
Thank, you!

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

27 Dec 2021 14:18

The first image from the James Webb telescope just released:
x.jpg
x.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Targem
Observer
Observer

Re: Totally off-topic thread

20 Jul 2022 10:16

very interesting

[youtube]GSfXldJyMik[/youtube]

очень интересно
https://forum.spaceengine.org/

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

16 Aug 2022 05:20

https://apnews.com/article/norway-oslo- ... ce=Twitter

These are some messed up people!  This reminds me of when the Denmark zoo put down a healthy giraffe!  They so very clearly DO NOT care about animals, if they did they would cordon off the area and restrict access of humans not kill the innocent walrus!

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

17 Aug 2022 04:37

These are some messed up people!  This reminds me of when the Denmark zoo put down a healthy giraffe!  They so very clearly DO NOT care about animals, if they did they would cordon off the area and restrict access of humans not kill the innocent walrus!
The whole management seems pretty passive.  For a long time they appeared to have been betting on the animal leaving by herself, but now after a long period of dangerous bather-walrus encounters and much damage to smaller boats, they decide to put the animal down when the bathing and boating season is waning anyway.  They didn't want to tranquilise and relocate her out of fear that she would escape and drown.  In other words, they opted to succeed with a bad plan rather than risking to fail with a good plan.

Walruses are protected, but not endangered.  Their habitat is near the ice edge in the arctic, but occasionally some individuals might wander far away where they will be of no use for the species as a whole.  So relocation would be a win-win.  The cost would certainly be less than all the damage to property done.  So I think it was a poor decision, but it's not the end of the world.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

17 Aug 2022 06:45

The whole management seems pretty passive.  For a long time they appeared to have been betting on the animal leaving by herself, but now after a long period of dangerous bather-walrus encounters and much damage to smaller boats, they decide to put the animal down when the bathing and boating season is waning anyway.  They didn't want to tranquilise and relocate her out of fear that she would escape and drown.  In other words, they opted to succeed with a bad plan rather than risking to fail with a good plan.

Walruses are protected, but not endangered.  Their habitat is near the ice edge in the arctic, but occasionally some individuals might wander far away where they will be of no use for the species as a whole.  So relocation would be a win-win.  The cost would certainly be less than all the damage to property done.  So I think it was a poor decision, but it's not the end of the world.
Thanks Mid, I was hoping you would comment.  I am wondering if there was a third option available, as a biologist who lives in the area said it's the people who should have been kept away from the Walrus.  Could they have fenced or cordoned off the area to keep humans from interacting with the walrus?  The idea of euthanizing the creature because they were concerned for her welfare seems like an odd thing to do.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/frey ... -rcna43073

"This is Norway in a nutshell," said Rune Aae, a biologist who had been tracking Freya’s journey around northern Europe.
"Too often we kill the animals we don’t like or can’t cope with. It's an outrage in Norway how we are treating these kind of animals," said Aae, who is also a doctoral student in science didactics at the University of South-Eastern Norway.
Freya had not shown signs of stress, he said, but instead seemed curious about people. He criticized authorities for not blocking off the areas where the walrus spent the most time, or trying to move her, despite fears that she could drown if an attempt to tranquilize her failed.
Even a fatal attempt to move her would have been better than euthanasia, he said.

In other words, they opted to succeed with a bad plan rather than risking to fail with a good plan.

This certainly sums it all up rather well!

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Aug 2022 07:44

Thanks Mid, I was hoping you would comment.  I am wondering if there was a third option available, as a biologist who lives in the area said it's the people who should have been kept away from the Walrus.  Could they have fenced or cordoned off the area to keep humans from interacting with the walrus?  The idea of euthanizing the creature because they were concerned for her welfare seems like an odd thing to do.
Difficult.  She was showing up in new places, quays, popular bathing spots in a highly populated area.  I wonder whether she actually preferred these places.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

11 Sep 2022 15:03

The Sun at noon here yesterday, hiding between the trees.  :???:

Slight improvement in the afternoon, made for some interesting lighting.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

13 Sep 2022 15:21

What's the reason for this sky colour?
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

15 Sep 2022 07:43

I've had it some week ago in my place too, that was amazing. Everything looked red/orange. I have no clue what's the cause of it.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

24 Sep 2022 03:37

Wildfire smoke (from fires spread all over -- California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, BC). We've had many bad smoke years recently, this one not the worst (I think that goes to 2020), but not very far from it.  Conditions much improved in the last few days though, now most of the smoke has been blown over the gulf states or across the Atlantic.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Sep 2022 12:51

The Ukraine-Russia war has now moved close enough for my sensors.  My geophones recorded the demolition of the Nord Stream pipe in the Baltic Sea, almost 600 km away.
nord2.png
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI