Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

05 Dec 2018 01:18

The board still works fine, I just dont use it since the  hard drive died and the pcie slot is a mere 4x and its limited to under 4 GB of RAM  lol I realized it was time to move on.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

A very PC discussion

06 Dec 2018 22:27

Last time I had asked the forum for some buyer-advice about an external hard-drive, and that has worked out pretty good so far  :).  So I have another question: My mum wants a MP3 player for Christmas. I did some research, and very quickly found out that the ones that are cheap and below $60 fail pretty quick, and those that any good start at $200+. Very few fall in that sweet spot between 80-150 dollars. Times have really changed since last I got a Sony Walkman for 50 bucks (that I still have, and it still works). With all these cellphones and iPads (which my mother flatly stated she did NOT want...), it seems that mp3's have become something of a novelty :(.

So, if anyone has any advice and suggests, it would be welcome. I've already investigated the top amazon options, and none of them seem to work. A good brand-name and a price-range between 100-200 dollars would be great.
Futurum Fusionem

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

24 Dec 2018 17:31

CES is just over 2 weeks away. Very excited to see what hardware goodies get announced, particularly looking forward to the 7nm stuff hopefully.  

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

24 Dec 2018 18:54

Indeed!  It should be coming out next spring, cant wait!

PS- question- when you're not at your computer would you rather set it to sleep or hibernate or hybrid sleep? I turn it off when I go to sleep at night but during the day I am all over the place so i set it to sleep mode after 1 hour of inactivity.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

24 Dec 2018 19:50

I leave mine on mostly during the day as it's super slow at starting up.  At night I turn everything off because LEDs keep me awake.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

A very PC discussion

24 Dec 2018 22:28

Is it no longer true that thermal cycling is what shortens the lifespan of electronics these days?

I keep unconventional sleep habits, and so have found keeping the computer on 24/7 worked best for me (I was self-employed as a typesetter in publishing for many a year... the birth of desktop publishing... and death, so it seems (but that's another story.)). I have not done the math (and quite frankly, admitting that on this website makes me feel... a tad (and just a "tad", mind you — my sense of humour more than makes up for it... Ha!) on the "pedestrian" side of things), but I feel the costs savings in hardware more than make up the added electricity bills. Perhaps it's just must less hassle.

I went from a system using Win2K from when it was the cream of the crop of OSs to Win7 64 bit.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

24 Dec 2018 23:32

Now that I have this new computer when I am not around during the day it idles to sleep mode after 1 hour of no input (I had to disable wake on LAN and force sleep mode after 1 hour because it wont go to sleep if SE is running lol unless I force it to) but at night I shut it off before I go to sleep and power off the UPS also.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

A very PC discussion

24 Dec 2018 23:45

That is the thing with me. When I was working, I was on my computer, when I was not working, I was also on my computer a lot — if not digital art, it was browsing, or working with some music. Now that I'm not working, those last three take up all my computer time, which, sad to say, is still fairly extensive.

Anyway... on that note,  I wish you a good night and a safe and happy holiday season to you A-L-E-X, and all tho others here at Forum.SpaceEngine. I mostly post pics in the Image Dump thread, but this is by far one of my most favourite forums to read.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

24 Dec 2018 23:50

I just worry about overheating or wearing some part out- my power supply has an MTBF of 100,000 hours so my goal is to keep the computer on for 12 hours a day- so far I am failing lol- it's more like 16-18 hours.

Did you say you were a typesetter?  You'd appreciate this mechanical keyboard I am using with replaceable switches!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays !!!

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

29 Dec 2018 03:57

There is a few rumors going around of the Vega 2 coming next year not long away.  Only info is speculated to have 16 or 32GB of ram and somewhere around 2080 performance.   It sounds like it might be another vega FE like card with 32Gb and 7nm shrink perhaps.   Sound exciting none the less.

Some speculation this is the higher end card while Navi replaces Polaris.  Can't wait to see what comes out!

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

A very PC discussion

30 Dec 2018 01:42

Hey vlad01, what do you make of the Asus ROG Zephyrus laptop? Is it a good buy?
Futurum Fusionem

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

30 Dec 2018 03:05

Seems expensive even for the good specs.

Personally when it comes to laptops I like early 2000s laptops or rugged design modern ones but I can't justify the premium they are asking for the new ones like Panasonic toughbook. They cost a few k and have only 6-7th gen i5 and intel HD graphics.

I do car tuning so I need ones with lots of USB ports and tough design that can take a beating in the automotive environment, which none of the modern laptop can tolerate except the aforementioned toughbooks. I am the worst person to be asking about general consumer laptops as frankly I think they are all sub par.

I run an old Toshiba satellite from 2004 with core2 duo and 4gb of ram. It is built tough and has not let me down apart from battery life.

I had a modern i7 version of the same make at my old job, lasted 6 months before most of it failed, keyboard died and the case came apart and the touch pad and buttons fell out, exactly why I don't like modern laptops, too fragile and flimsy and lack USB ports.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

A very PC discussion

30 Dec 2018 03:09

I am the worst person to be asking about general consumer laptops as frankly I think they are all sub par.
Haha, that's all right. It's pretty easy to think so - especially if the hardware is compared to some of the older stuff that was made with quality in mind, not quantity. I feel the same way with a lot of these newer designs. Anyway, thanks for the input.
Futurum Fusionem

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

A very PC discussion

30 Dec 2018 03:52

Wow I have a Toshiba satellite laptop too- from 2009 and it has 3 GB of RAM, cant run SE on it of course lol.  Thats reserved for my new desktop.  It does run Starry Night Pro Plus but the All Sky feature needs to be turned off.  Is there a way to replace the battery when its EOL approaches or do you just use it with the AC adapter?

Stellator- that laptop looks nice, it has a six core cpu? I was looking at ones on portatech in the $2000 price range, but they only had older four core cpus (though they did have a 1070 8 GB GPU and either 16 GB or 32 GB of RAM!)  I saw some nice ones from ASUS and MSI on there that have built-in LED RGB keyboards!

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

A very PC discussion

31 Dec 2018 01:40

Stellator- that laptop looks nice, it has a six core cpu?
Yes, it is considered the best laptop of it's generation for pure gaming purposes at a 'reasonable' price. All the reviews I've read/watched say that it is pretty bare-bones as far as non-gaming functions go, but an absolute beast when it comes to high-demand gaming systems, which is what I'm going for now.

The new SE seems right around the corner, and I'd really like to run its new graphics at decent settings, without the terrible fps-loss I experienced with v0980. However, this is hardly the only reason I'm looking into a new rig, as lately I've been running into a glass-ceiling of sorts when it comes to the games I play. I like to heavily mod my games, and this often stretches their PC requirements beyond the vanilla recommendation due to increased game-system strain. Couple this modification-obsession with an interest in the new game titles coming out, and it would seem it's about time that I upgraded.  I'm thinking of purchasing something sometime next year.
Futurum Fusionem