Ultimate space simulation software

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Totally off-topic thread

15 Oct 2017 16:37

going for a week trip with school to poland to visit camps and learn about world war 2 and the holocaust.
so i wont be active this week.  :) 
this is will be the first time i ever travel to another country and its will be without the family
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

15 Oct 2017 17:53

Have fun Spacer
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

20 Oct 2017 12:21

Did just a lot of posts from the last few days disappear?
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

20 Oct 2017 13:31

Did just a lot of posts from the last few days disappear?
Yes. There was a problem with the forum website.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

20 Oct 2017 14:17

I was about to watch the videos posted about "nothing" in one of the science threads, but the post was gone.  I found the PBS Spacetime video, but there was another.  Does anyone have a link?
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

20 Oct 2017 20:00

midtskogen, I reposted it.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

21 Oct 2017 01:18

Thanks, but I think there was another video on "nothing", which Wats commented on.  I hadn't time to see it at the time or read Wats' comments, so it's a bit fuzzy what the video was.  I don't think it was about aging.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Totally off-topic thread

21 Oct 2017 02:13

I think it was this video (or at least the same lecture).  

[youtube]tqn73A5Csi0[/youtube]

I didn't comment too much besides saying that it's a great lecture on the interplay of cosmology and thermodynamics.

The main point is to investigate the arrow of time, and the origin of the Big Bang as a low entropy event.  How did that condition arise?  One hypothesis he touches on is that of Boltzmann Brains.  If locally entropy-reducing fluctuations are inevitable given enough time (which in an ever-expanding universe there is plenty of) then one predicts that it is more likely we exist as a product of those fluctuations rather than as products of the cosmological evolution that we think we are.  Carroll doesn't subscribe to this idea (neither do I), and he uses some simple observations to reject it as implausible, then goes on to investigate other possible conclusions.

Naturally this leads more to the theoretical and untestable, but unlike many other speakers who talk about this sort of thing it is pretty well grounded in established physics and there isn't much mystical woo.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

21 Oct 2017 12:38

If locally entropy-reducing fluctuations are inevitable given enough time (which in an ever-expanding universe there is plenty of) then one predicts that it is more likely we exist as a product of those fluctuations rather than as products of the cosmological evolution that we think we are.
I think it's hard to construct an argument that stays clear of absurdities.
One could go on argue that the cosmological evolution that we observe and are a product of itself is a random fluctuation just assuming that the universe (or multiverse) outside our observable universe is sufficiently large, i.e. absurdly large compared to what we can observe.  Not that the Big Bang was such a fluctuation, but that there the entire apparent history of the universe was a fluctuation.  A variant of Last Thursdayism, which cannot be proven wrong.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

22 Oct 2017 03:56

[youtube]J_CnDD_MXq4[/youtube]

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Totally off-topic thread

22 Oct 2017 22:59

back from the trip now, took lot of images of nuture and more i will soon share!  :)
first flight ever it was so exciting i even took images of simple clouds from above
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Totally off-topic thread

23 Oct 2017 12:45

i am checking the album i took in the trip right now and this is one of the images, it is very beautiful and i want to share:
this was taken in warsaw old jewish Cemetery
autumn colors on tree trunks...if only i had a better camera for sharper view!  :P
► Show Spoiler
and panorama of warsaw old city square: (open in new tab for big size and sharper resolution)
► Show Spoiler
-Andre Gide

Mr. Missed Her
Astronaut
Astronaut

Totally off-topic thread

23 Oct 2017 18:58

Can anyone find a really fast Mandelbrot viewer? I would be so happy just zooming around a seamlessly generated Mandelbrot image.
(I didn't know anywhere better to put this.)
Space is very spacious.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Totally off-topic thread

23 Oct 2017 23:09

Can anyone find a really fast Mandelbrot viewer?
On Linux I like fraqtive.  It's fast, draws beautifully, and it also shows the corresponding julia set.  You can zoom in to about 10^13.

Here's a nice zoom (to 10^99).  I don't know of any fast software capable of going that deep, as it requires custom arithmetic.
[youtube]aSg2Db3jF_4[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Mr. Missed Her
Astronaut
Astronaut

Totally off-topic thread

24 Oct 2017 15:00

Can anyone find a really fast Mandelbrot viewer?
On Linux I like fraqtive.  It's fast, draws beautifully, and it also shows the corresponding julia set.  You can zoom in to about 10^13.

Here's a nice zoom (to 10^99).  I don't know of any fast software capable of going that deep, as it requires custom arithmetic.
[youtube]aSg2Db3jF_4[/youtube]
Sorry, I have Windows, not Linux. Any for Windows?
Space is very spacious.