Astrobiology Poll

20 Aug 2021 01:24

Is this a puzzle?

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Astrobiology Poll

23 Aug 2021 02:02

The formatting just made it hard to read. Fixed it for clarity. 

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Astrobiology Poll

13 Oct 2021 04:45

Got a couple of papers for you to read.

The one is on superhabitable planets, planets better suited for life as we know it than Earth is.  Interestingly, they are basing this on when Earth was a tropical rain forest paradise and are looking for planets warmer, wetter and larger than earth and with denser atmospheres with more oxygen.

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/ast.2019.2161

Second paper by the same group is about the likelihood of finding complex animal life on other worlds and the likelihood of finding technological life.

https://www.mdpi.com/2075-1729/6/3/25/htm

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Astrobiology Poll

13 Oct 2021 12:53

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Interestingly, they are basing this on when Earth was a tropical rain forest paradise and are looking for planets warmer, wetter and larger than earth and with denser atmospheres with more oxygen.

Funny how climate doomsayers think warmer, wetter means inhabitable Earth, whilst astrobiologists think warmer, wetter means superhabitable Earth.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Astrobiology Poll

13 Oct 2021 15:32

midtskogen wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Interestingly, they are basing this on when Earth was a tropical rain forest paradise and are looking for planets warmer, wetter and larger than earth and with denser atmospheres with more oxygen.

Funny how climate doomsayers think warmer, wetter means inhabitable Earth, whilst astrobiologists think warmer, wetter means superhabitable Earth.

Yes they are basing it on the density of life in tropical rain forests and the fact that life was most diversified on this planet when the planet was warmer and wetter (such as the Mesozoic Era).  I like these papers they are much better than media sound bites.  Did you have a chance to read the second article too, about the likelihood of finding animal life on other worlds? I like that they separated smart animals from technological life and had three different categories for the origin of life and the origin of technological life.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Astrobiology Poll

14 Oct 2021 05:23

Biological diversity is highly correlated to latitude.  But I think there are several more essential factors.  These include climate stability over geological time, solar stability, magnetic field, tides, atmospheric stability, orbit stability.  Just one bad factor easily reduces the chances of life to zero even though all the others are ideal.  Many of these factors can't trivially be deduced from astronomical observations.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Astrobiology Poll

14 Oct 2021 15:02

Yes that was mentioned in the second paper I just finished that an hour ago.  There are only three factors known for certain, (stellar spectral type, age of the system and mass of the planet within relative probabilities.)

I found the break down on the different paradigm shifts after life begins quite interesting too.

One thing about the warmer wetter world.  While better for biodiversity it is not better for humans- I experience allergies that last almost year round now, and proliferating biting insects that are pests, makes going outside miserable.