Ultimate space simulation software

TommyJ
Observer
Observer

Science and Astronomy News

14 Dec 2020 07:04

As far as I know, radioastronomy is now quite developed. The sufficient level of technology makes it possible to send radiotelescopes into space. It seems to me that it is dry and calm enough there to hope for long-term uninterrupted operation of these devices. Given a way to get a stable signal with minimal latency, of course. So, I don't think Arecibo's departure is an irreparable loss for the community. Rather, it marks the end of several eras at once

TommyJ
Observer
Observer

15 Dec 2020 05:17

To your regret, but to the great happiness of some enthusiastic people, all the most ambitious, cool, well-working projects always come from military developments. Ideal for fans of astronomy, this is the intersection of the military, civil and space development in one place. And at the same time exclusively (!) peaceful use. 

Many great achievements of medicine, astronomy, cosmology came only from war. But you won't deny their useful functions because of this?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

16 Dec 2020 01:20

To your regret, but to the great happiness of some enthusiastic people, all the most ambitious, cool, well-working projects always come from military developments. Ideal for fans of astronomy, this is the intersection of the military, civil and space development in one place. And at the same time exclusively (!) peaceful use. 

Many great achievements of medicine, astronomy, cosmology came only from war. But you won't deny their useful functions because of this?
I dont think so.  Undeniably some have but certainly not "most" let alone "all."  The military has a LONG history of manipulating scientists who thought the purposes were for peaceful research into much more insidious areas.  If I started quoting all of the ones I know of, it would fill many books- including many in which human beings were the subjects of experiments that caused cancer (like radiation experiments)  and even intentional infections of groups of people (specifically minorities or people in third world countries- which they ended up regretting later when they lost multibillion dollar lawsuits.  This didn't even end all that long ago- or need I remind you of the tortures conducted at Guantanamo Bay which represented the combination of military and corrupt individuals in the psychiatric profession [which also has a long history of experimenting on mental patients and in the LBTQ+ community.]   Of course the corporate sector has done very similar things, many times in conjunction with the military, I dont vouch for them either. Some of these areas are "crowd control" and the creation of harmful devices that damage the brain to disperse peaceful protestors and warrantless surveillance.)  Also the much-quoted Tuskeegee Experiments and the even worse intentional infection of 774 people in Guatemala by needle with syphilis to test a new drug on them as well as drug experiments on their own soldiers that resulted in brain damage by an experimental antimalarial drug during Desert Storm in Iraq- another needless war started by a lie in which war crimes were committed just like they are now in Yemen.  It was done by both public and private military groups called "mercenaries" like they have been doing for centuries to people in third world nations across several continents to steal their resources and subjugate their people.  The whole military-industrial complex is one vast moneymaking scheme that pretends to be "patriotic" (Eisenhower warned us of this, and he would have known better than anyone since he was in charge of it.)  People are only just becoming aware of it because of various needless conflicts that are going on in the world.  

Astronomy and space exploration is an entirely different category and out of all the different areas of science, that's the one where the intersection of the military and civilian sectors has done some good work without causing irreparable damage to different cultures and pillaging of their resources.  But it doesn't mean we can ignore the heinous and horrible things that have happened in the past and continue to occur in many parts of the world.

TommyJ
Observer
Observer

16 Dec 2020 08:42

I dont think so.  Undeniably some have but certainly not "most" let alone "all."  The military has a LONG history of manipulating scientists who thought the purposes were for peaceful research into much more insidious areas.  If I started quoting all of the ones I know of, it would fill many books- including many in which human beings were the subjects of experiments that caused cancer (like radiation experiments)  and even intentional infections of groups of people (specifically minorities or people in third world countries- which they ended up regretting later when they lost multibillion dollar lawsuits.  This didn't even end all that long ago- or need I remind you of the tortures conducted at Guantanamo Bay which represented the combination of military and corrupt individuals in the psychiatric profession [which also has a long history of experimenting on mental patients and in the LBTQ+ community.]   Of course the corporate sector has done very similar things, many times in conjunction with the military, I dont vouch for them either.
I understand you perfectly. And all these experiments of power over citizens, the rich over the poor, etc., began rather from the very formation of society. So I think the problem here is not in specific governments, but in the specific nature of a whole group of people. These people have always been and always will be. No matter how the social system changes.
Let's say we take the Venus project, which is described in many places as heaven on Earth.
Even with the implementation of such a project, such people will still grow up in those conditions.

Unfortunately, people are the problem. This can hardly be changed. It is unlikely that we will go through the path of evolution towards more peaceful behavior. Quite the opposite. They will just learn to disguise all experiments as a good cause.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

16 Dec 2020 08:59

I dont think so.  Undeniably some have but certainly not "most" let alone "all."  The military has a LONG history of manipulating scientists who thought the purposes were for peaceful research into much more insidious areas.  If I started quoting all of the ones I know of, it would fill many books- including many in which human beings were the subjects of experiments that caused cancer (like radiation experiments)  and even intentional infections of groups of people (specifically minorities or people in third world countries- which they ended up regretting later when they lost multibillion dollar lawsuits.  This didn't even end all that long ago- or need I remind you of the tortures conducted at Guantanamo Bay which represented the combination of military and corrupt individuals in the psychiatric profession [which also has a long history of experimenting on mental patients and in the LBTQ+ community.]   Of course the corporate sector has done very similar things, many times in conjunction with the military, I dont vouch for them either.
I understand you perfectly. And all these experiments of power over citizens, the rich over the poor, etc., began rather from the very formation of society. So I think the problem here is not in specific governments, but in the specific nature of a whole group of people. These people have always been and always will be. No matter how the social system changes.
Let's say we take the Venus project, which is described in many places as heaven on Earth.
Even with the implementation of such a project, such people will still grow up in those conditions.

Unfortunately, people are the problem. This can hardly be changed. It is unlikely that we will go through the path of evolution towards more peaceful behavior. Quite the opposite. They will just learn to disguise all experiments as a good cause.
Yes that is certainly the case, the nature of people and what power does to people.  I do think this can be changed, because it's become an existential threat now with climate change.  Personally I like nations to stay neutral and behave according to the Nordic Model.  I saw a recent episode of Cosmos where it was mentioned how change happened....nuclear testing of weapons was stopped by most nations in the 60s when mothers protested because their breast milk had been found to have a quantity of radiation in it due to all the nuclear testing that happened, the usage of CFC was curtailed not because of leaders, but because of a large public outcry against the damage to the ozone layer.  The answer is change does happen, if a large number of people become angry enough to either protest and shut things down or enact massive class action lawsuits against the corrupting companies, like we are doing now with the fossil fuel cartels.  Massive class action lawsuits to stop the opioid drug industry and the corporate buy up of hospitals that used their near monopolies to artificially raise the price of healthcare.  Endanger their business model and things will change.  Snowden did that to the surveillance state when he whistleblew what was going on and they were exposed for all the world to see.

TommyJ
Observer
Observer

17 Dec 2020 03:55

Hmm ... if enough people get angry enough ...

I don't think this will solve the problem. And just change it to another. Yes, in countries where laws and courts are in place, this can help. But what prevents from moving bases to third world countries? As it is done now. No one there will protest if they are given work or in some cases just water

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

17 Dec 2020 06:43

I believe people can be more altruistic though I also agree with what you are saying, it's hard work, but it's a worthwhile endeavor.

I wanted to share an experience....last night I saw the most amazing display of empathy I've ever seen, and it came from the world of nature.  Literally....Nature's episode last night showed how animals show empathy to animals even of different species.  There was a blind horse at a farm and a goat that lived there also, and without being given any kind of "command" the goat took it upon himself to guide the blind horse to food each and every day after the horse became blind (somehow he knew) for 16 whole years that remained of the horse's life.  Each and every day that goat led his friend to his favorite patch for food, and while previously he used to munch on the grass every step of the way going there and coming back, he gave that up so that he could guide his best friend without fail so he wouldn't be led astray.  First the horse was blind in one eye and the goat positioned himself in front of the one good eye and then the horse became blind in both eyes and the goat centered himself so the horse could hear his steps better and because he somehow knew the horse had now become blind in both eyes.  After 16 years of being such a faithful friend the horse finally breathed his last breath and the goat laid by him as if remembering him and a few minutes later he quietly laid down a few yards away.  The owner of the farm reported that the old goat hasn't been the same since, he eats much less and he often stops at their old patch and just quietly stands there watching.  The horse was buried there and the owner of the farm said his best friend, the goat, will be buried there one day too.

TommyJ
Observer
Observer

18 Dec 2020 03:50

Yes, this is a rather interesting and instructive story. I noticed something else. People who have the opportunity to often come into contact with the world of animals are much more likely to be kind to everyone. And those who have comprehended all the delights of urbanization are more often selfish, arrogant, unpleasant (not all, of course). But the feeling is that it is like a subconscious struggle for territory. Where there is a lot of it, everything becomes easier.

Yes, and you have no time to argue with your neighbor, you need to feed the animals)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

18 Dec 2020 08:09

Yes I like how communicating with nature is a form of therapy, while being isolated from it creates higher stress levels, violence and have higher levels of health issues (hypertension, depression, anxiety, asthma, etc.)  Just on a general level, not applicable to everyone of course.  It's been somewhat ameliorated with the development of community gardens (which also make for healthier inner cities and less consumption of processed food, which has led to the diabetes and obesity epidemics in America.)

TommyJ
Observer
Observer

22 Dec 2020 08:04

Hey, we digress a little from the topic of the topic. Here it seems necessary to discuss the news of space. I've been googling all kinds of things just now. And I came across one development that interested me, which brings us a little closer to the future).
It said that they had already developed and tested a rocket engine capable of restarting in space.
I think this is interesting news, although not very fresh.
Here is the article, in fact, if you don't mind 

InterstellarTraveler
Observer
Observer

12 Jan 2021 11:24

Many have probably already heard about the BLC1 - detected radio signal (982.002 MHz) that spatially coincident with the Proxima star (our nearest galaxy neighbour). Does anyone have any own versions about this?
Attachments
Proxima_Centauri_star.jpg
Proxima_Centauri_star.jpg (68.12 KiB) Viewed 3142 times

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

15 Jan 2021 13:44

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

15 Jan 2021 23:40

Thanks Wat!  Is this in SE?  It reminds me of the Nightfall system!

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

15 Jan 2021 23:47

I do not believe it is in SE yet, though it will be amazing to see. It's a pretty new discovery, in large part thanks to the efforts of amateur astronomers and citizen scientists working with TESS data, who appear as co-authors in the paper. :)