Free planetarium

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

Science and Astronomy News

09 Aug 2017 15:08

the new world record temp at KIFP (Bullhead City, AZ)? It was probably a heat burst but still, it is the first such measurement in the modern digital era!

https://www.wunderground.com/history/ai ... .wmo=99999

Temperature
Mean Temperature 114 °F -
Max Temperature 136 °F 106 °F 136 °F (2017)
Min Temperature 91 °F 85 °F 72 °F (1993)

https://www.wunderground.com/history/ai ... .wmo=99999

Temperature
Mean Temperature 112 °F -
Max Temperature 131 °F 106 °F 131 °F (2017)
Min Temperature 93 °F 85 °F 74 °F (1993)

the heat burst (125+ temps) lasted from 7:55 PM to 1:15 AM !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_burst#Extreme_cases

Extreme cases[edit]
These are cases when temperatures over 56.7 °C or 134 °F (the highest officially confirmed in the world, in Death Valley, United States, 1913) were recorded during heat bursts.

Cherokee, Oklahoma, 11 July 1909: at 3:00 in the morning, a heat burst south of Cherokee, Oklahoma reportedly caused the temperature to rise briefly to 57.8 °C (136.0 °F), desiccating crops in the area.[48]
Kopperl, Texas, United States, 1960: A heat burst sent the air temperature to near 140 °F (60 °C), supposedly causing cotton crops to become desiccated and drying out vegetation.[49]
Lisbon, Portugal, 6 July 1949: A heat burst reportedly drove the air temperature from 38 to 70 °C (100.4 to 158.0 °F) within two minutes, in the region of Figueira da Foz and Coimbra, in central Portugal.[50][51]
Abadan, Iran, June 1967: An extreme temperature of 86.7 °C (188.1 °F) was recorded during a heat burst.[51]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee, ... ma#Climate

On 11 July 1909, at 3:00 in the morning, a heat burst south of Cherokee reportedly caused the temperature to rise briefly to 136 °F (57.8 °C), desiccating crops in the area.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopperl,_Texas#Climate

Shortly after midnight on June 15, 1960, a freak meteorological phenomenon struck the community when a dying thunderstorm collapsed over Kopperl. The storm had rained itself out, and with little to no precipitation to cool the resulting downdrafts, superheated air was expended upon the community in the form of extremely hot wind gusts of up to 75 MPH. The temperature increased rapidly, peaking near 140° Fahrenheit (60° Celsius); twenty degrees above the official all-time high for the state of Texas. The storm, known as "Satan's Storm" by locals, soon became part of local folklore.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abadan,_Iran#Climate

The world's highest unconfirmed temperature was a temperature flare up during a heat burst in June 1967, with a temperature of 87 °C (189 °F).[30] 

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 15:10

Watsisname wrote:
DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post New breakthrough discovery—every quantum particle travels backwards

Ah, this is bad/sensationalist science reporting. [etc]

I look at it this way- causality is an emergent phenomenon that only applies at the macro level.  At the quantum level, there really isn't any such thing as "backwards" or "forwards."

Starlight Glimmer said: "20 planets? Wow."  
Meh, I wouldn't be surprised if there were 100.  There are probably far more planets in the galaxy than their are stars.

Spacer said: "remember it is never aliens!"
Because if it were aliens we'd have to invent new laws to deport them  ;)  It comes from the DT school of "science."  I already think that Tabby's Star might have some kind of artificial superstructure around it.

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 15:11

A-L-E-X wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-21/great-filter-theory-may-explain-why-well-never-contact-aliens/8731806

Great Filter theory could explain why we're yet to make alien contact

The World Today
By George Roberts
Updated yesterday at 11:37pm

Photo: Professor Ward says there are hundreds of billions of galaxies like ours, and therefore potentially planets that could sustain life. (ABC North Coast: Samantha Turnbull)
Related Story: Plan to launch rockets in NT being 'seriously' considered, Chief Minister says
Related Story: Australia could enter space race, with slice of $420 billion pie up for grabs
Map: Australia
As humans continue to search for life in space, some experts speculate the so-called Great Filter theory lies behind why nobody is responding to our call.

Why has there never been contact?

• Civilisations likely destroy themselves before mastering communication, travel
• Climate change, over-population may well be Great Filter for humans
• Distances communication must travel to connect with other lifeforms make it unlikely
Despite decades of scanning the skies, so far there has been total radio silence in the human effort to make contact with intelligent alien life forms.

But experts said in the end, humans would likely wipe themselves out before managing to make any contact.

Professor Peter Ward, astrobiologist at the University of Washington, said there were hundreds of billions of galaxies like ours, and therefore potentially billions of planets like Earth, that could sustain life.

"I absolutely believe that in our galaxy alone there are certainly other civilisations," he said.

Interesting analysis and I also read elsewhere that the greatest and most effective way to curb climate change is to have less children- having one less child actually creates a negative carbon footprint!

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

09 Aug 2017 17:19

A-L-E-X, I know we've talked about this before and I understand the forum gives you some difficulties with quoting people and whatnot, but this is seriously way too many posts to be making in a row.  Please figure out a way to condense it.

Added:  I've combined some of the quotes together as an example of how it can be done without using the forum quote tags.

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 20:44

Watsisname wrote:
A-L-E-X, I know we've talked about this before and I understand the forum gives you some difficulties with quoting people and whatnot, but this is seriously way too many posts to be making in a row.  Please figure out a way to condense it.

Added:  I've combined some of the quotes together as an example of how it can be done without using the forum quote tags.

Wat, what about when I add articles from science news- should I try to put them all in one post too or is it better to have separate posts for each one for improved readability?

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

09 Aug 2017 21:36

I'd say to use your best judgement, but err towards trying to keep things condensed.

The rule of thumb is to try to avoid making multiple posts in a row, especially without allowing plenty of time for conversation to happen.  Discussion threads should not look like a monologue. :)  If you've just posted and want to add something, it's better to edit than to post again.  But if a lot of time has passed (e.g. several days) and you want to bring up something else, then it's okay to post again so that people see that it had recent activity.

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

10 Aug 2017 02:05

Watsisname wrote:
I'd say to use your best judgement, but err towards trying to keep things condensed.

The rule of thumb is to try to avoid making multiple posts in a row, especially without allowing plenty of time for conversation to happen.  Discussion threads should not look like a monologue. :)  If you've just posted and want to add something, it's better to edit than to post again.  But if a lot of time has passed (e.g. several days) and you want to bring up something else, then it's okay to post again so that people see that it had recent activity.

That sounds like a good forum philosophy to follow.  I had been away from the forums for a bit so I guess I got into a posting (and reading) frenzy when I got back!  I actually went back and deleted some double posts- what happened was I was trying to edit previous posts to add new stuff and for some reason it thought I was trying to respond to my own posts :(

I am most excited right now about this new Gaia catalog I hadn't heard of before- we will get 3D positions on over a billion stars?!  Also will SE be able to (or can it already) calculate proper motions so we can see what the stars look(ed) like in 1 million AD (or BC)?

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

10 Aug 2017 13:34

A thought provoking documentary I saw on PBS last week is also online. Raises concerning issues about sustainability and how conventional farming techniques are causing a food crisis here and around the world because of nutrient depletion and how organic soil retains nutrients far better.

http://www.symphonyofthesoil.com/

http://www.symphonyofthesoil.com/
They talk about how scientists are discovering that organic soil farming is far more sustainable than using chemicals. Because  conventional farming causes much higher nutrient runoff during rainfall (and prove it with experiments). The chemical fertilizer/pesticide use actually depletes soil. In Africa and India and other parts of the world, farmers are going back to a biological rather than chemical approach.   Because it's 125% more sustainable.  it's far better to mimic nature rather than fight it.