Free planetarium

Gnargenox
Space Pilot

Science and Astronomy Questions

20 Mar 2017 01:08

I will either sleep as sound as a really, really heavy rock or hit the ceiling jumping out of a startling dream tonight!
Thank you!! AMAZING stuff every time.....
Now I'm starting to think Dark Matter really isn't made up of primordial multi-ton microscopic black holes.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Watsisname
Explorer

20 Mar 2017 03:18

So, when I said I'll leave the question of the time it takes for the trillion-ton, atom-sized black hole to consume the Earth for another time...?  

Yeah, it's about a billion years.  Lol, I thought it would take a long time, but not THAT long.  The Eddington Limit really ...er... limits it, as it can only start out eating about a kilogram per second, and it pretty much stays that way until near the end.

The actual solution for how the black hole grows with time is an exponential of the form Image

where  Image

For this case, plotting the Earth's remaining mass over time gives a curve like this, where the y-axis is in kilograms and the x-axis is time in millions of years.

Making the black hole more massive doesn't change the timescale a whole lot.  Even if we made the black hole the same mass as Earth, it still takes about 30 million years to truly consume Earth, though at least it has a more steady effect:

Now I'm starting to think Dark Matter really isn't made up of primordial multi-ton microscopic black holes.

There could be some primordial microscopic black holes out there, and actually there are some researchers following the idea that it could explain much of the dark matter.  If so they must have a particular distribution of masses to be consistent with observations (or lack thereof). I think more astronomers are in the "new fundamental particle" mode, but either way the models can only benefit from more data at this point. :)

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

20 Mar 2017 08:24

Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post Even if we made the black hole the same mass as Earth, it still takes about 30 million years to truly consume Earth

At what point does Earth stop being capable of supporting life?  That seems to be the more interesting aspect of this and probably the hardest one to answer.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Xoran
Explorer

20 Mar 2017 08:39

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post At what point does Earth stop being capable of supporting life?  That seems to be the more interesting aspect of this and probably the hardest one to answer.

That depends on what you mean with "life", because it will be uninhabitable to humans long before it is uninhabitable to bacteria.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

PlutonianEmpire
Space Pilot

20 Mar 2017 13:06

How big would our black hole need to be to consume Earth in 10 minutes or less? And/or one minute or less?
Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

Canleskis
Observer

20 Mar 2017 13:20

PlutonianEmpire wrote:
How big would our black hole need to be to consume Earth in 10 minutes or less? And/or one minute or less?

Not exactly what you asked but :

Banana
Space Tourist

22 Mar 2017 16:33

I wonder how people would react to a black hole suddenly appearing and beginning to slowly devour Earth. Hopefully nobody would try to jump into it.
Bananas are eggcellent.