Free planetarium

Xoran
Pioneer

Science and Astronomy Questions

11 Apr 2017 00:32

John Boone wrote:
Source of the post i have a quick question that might be fun: if the rings of Saturn were magically given the mass of Saturn, what chaos might ensue over the next few days/weeks/months?

There is a game on steam called Universe Sandbox2 that specializes in stuff like that. You can shoot hundreds of planets into the Sun, make Earth orbit Sagittaritus A, and stuff like that. I recommend it to anyone who likes both space and messing with stuff :)

But to answer your question using Universe Sandbox2:

In the time of a few hours an inner moon very close to the rings (Atlas in most of my runs of the simulation) will eat the rings, giving more gravity to the moon and start a feedback loop. In 10-11 hours the moon will be of a mass very similar to that of Uranus and Neptune, the solar system's ice giants, and many of the ring particles of Saturn begin to fly into empty space or crash into Saturn at the same time. The collisions between the rings and the moon will however slow the orbit of the moon (this is the same thing that makes some gas giants become hot Jupiters as far as i know), making it crash into Saturn in around 1-2 days, and almost all of the ring particles have flown into empty space now. In 2-3 days, all or almost all of the outer moons are thrown into empty space, only a handful of the original moons are still in orbit and Saturn is now at about 160 earth masses. The Saturnian system is now a shadow of its former self.

And keep in mind, all of this happens in a few days.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Spacer
Explorer
Topic Author

14 Apr 2017 11:09

if one day we will find life in the oceans of enceladus and europa and the life there will be organic fish like on earth....would they be edible? hypothetical speaking....
"Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

Hornblower
Pioneer

14 Apr 2017 12:16

For Europa, probably life very similar to earth-life (panspermia)
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Spacer
Explorer
Topic Author

14 Apr 2017 12:53

if we find life that are like here on earth it means they started just like here or it's indeed panspermia, but it can happen on eceladus too and all over our solar system (panspermia)
"Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

A-L-E-X
Explorer

14 Apr 2017 19:34

Didn't NASA issue a report today of finding life-precursor compounds on Enceladus?

and dont forget Mars!

ps research report authors mention panspermia for Trappist-1 also (taking up to 80 yrs for it to move between the planets).

Starlight Glimmer
Space Pilot

15 Apr 2017 06:46

What if Jupiter Formed in Saturn's place, and Saturn formed in Jupiters place? 

Watsisname
Pioneer

15 Apr 2017 15:11

Spacer wrote:
Source of the post if one day we will find life in the oceans of enceladus and europa and the life there will be organic fish like on earth....would they be edible? hypothetical speaking....

Spacer, no need to hide yourself.  We all know you crave to eat aliens. :P
If the biochemistry is similar then yeah, they might be edible.  On the other hand, we might also be edible to them...
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Didn't NASA issue a report today of finding life-precursor compounds on Enceladus?

The more we find organic compounds out there, the less I am surprised. :)  Seems like they're extremely common, with a lot of ways for them to be created in different astrophysical environments.  The real question is how and where it takes the next steps to becoming living structures.
Starlight Glimmer wrote:
Source of the post What if Jupiter Formed in Saturn's place, and Saturn formed in Jupiters place? 

The best answer is probably one given in terms of probabilities, because the way the solar system evolves early on is very dynamic and chaotic.  This situation could definitely lead to very dramatic differences from how the solar system appears today.

PlutonianEmpire
Explorer

15 Apr 2017 16:36

Speaking of edible space aliens, I remember reading something about chirality, although I vaguely recall the details. Will alien chirality provide any obstacles?
Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

Spacer
Explorer
Topic Author

15 Apr 2017 16:55

Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post We all know you crave to eat aliens.

who wouldnt like to try alien fish's meat?!  :D
-carl sagan

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

15 Apr 2017 17:12

Spacer wrote:
Source of the post who wouldnt like to try alien fish's meat?!

Most likely any aliens we find will not be edible.  That isn't to say you couldn't consume it, but it would probably do nothing or cause you to have to use the bathroom
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Spacer
Explorer
Topic Author

15 Apr 2017 17:21

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post That isn't to say you couldn't consume it, but it would probably do nothing or cause you to have to use the bathroom

or die from alien desease (like a flu, war of the worlds...) our planet never seen....
-carl sagan

Mosfet
Pioneer

15 Apr 2017 17:28

PlutonianEmpire wrote:
Source of the post Will alien chirality provide any obstacles

As far as I remember chemistry, could be. In terms of food, chiral compounds (let's say a complex protein and it's three-dimensional mirror image, so-called tertiary structure) even on Earth can greatly differ in how are adsorbed and digested in single amino acids when eaten.
Let's put this in another planet, where fundamental structures of life like DNA could be even not necessarily based on thymine, adenosine, guanine and cytosine and the other one I don't remember used in RNA, but instead made by five or six similar compounds at the same time, well this could very possibly lead to some memorable stomach ache.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

15 Apr 2017 17:29

Spacer wrote:
Source of the post or die from alien desease (like a flu, war of the worlds...) our planet never seen....

That is highly unlikely.  Any microbes they have will have evolved in a completely different environment and not be compatible. We see this all the time here on Earth with diseases that only infect certain species and we all evolved on the same planet.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Spacer
Explorer
Topic Author

15 Apr 2017 19:10

well if our body and thier very similar with the same biochimestry and blood system...lets take the flu for example. the flu virus here is not too dangerous, our immune system familiar with it and can fight it, but it will be completly alien to the aliens bodies and immune system so it will effect them stronger and make them die probably until thier body will create something against it.
-carl sagan

Hornblower
Pioneer

15 Apr 2017 19:50

Spacer, that, or new viruses develop on Europa (viruses we have never been exposed to before) so it will probably be pretty harmful. Similar to Europeans coming to America and introducing viruses and killing of the natives
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams