A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

Science and Astronomy Questions

09 Aug 2017 14:18

JackDole wrote:
XBrain130 wrote:
Source of the post Are yousure? The console tells me "unknown comand"

'LandTo' only works up to SE 0.980. In SE 0.981, the commands are very different.
In SE 0.981 you have to enter something like this: 'Goto {Time 2.0 Height 200 Lat 63.069167 Lon -151.007778}'

Sounds like we are adding programming code with the new version :P  Where can I download .981? I only see .980 on the main page.

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 14:32

I am getting the unknown command error :(  As you can see I've already selected The Earth (I'm actually on the surface of it in the program.)

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 5_29_10 PM.jpg

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

09 Aug 2017 14:40

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post But haven't we visually detected exoplanets? I remember seeing a gif showing 5 giant exoplanets orbiting a single star and the view was from above- the kind of thing I wish we could do with our own solar system!

There have been a few.  It is easiest for large planets that are far from their stars. The problem is the glare of the sunlight, which swamps out the much fainter glow of the planets -- like trying observe the glow of a firefly next to a searchlight.  So you must use an occulting disk to block out the star but not the planets.  Observing in infrared also helps reduce the brightness of the star relative to the planets.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post But I really like paradoxes and I hope we become advanced enough as a species one day to create a few ourselves
About black holes, I remember reading about this particular paradox and it was resolved using the cloning theorem, that the particle both falls into the black hole and doesn't- there is a duplicate created

Paradoxes cannot exist in nature -- basically by definition.  The appearance of a paradox means you've tried describing something with knowledge that does not correctly describe it, or is incomplete.  We encounter paradoxes quite often in physics and they are a signal that we are missing something important, and can act as clues to figuring out how to reconcile different apparently contradictory concepts.

A good example is the twin paradox in relativity.  A naive application of principles of special relativity would suggest that you see time pass more slowly in frame which is moving relative to you, and so two observers moving relative to each other will see each other age more slowly.  Therefore if your twin goes on a high speed trip through the universe and comes back, both of you say that the other twin is younger.  That's a paradox -- how are both of you younger than the other?

The appearance of this paradox tells you that a crucial bit of physics wasn't accounted for.  In order to meet back up, your twin must accelerate and switch reference frames, and that introduces a new time dilation effect.  What really happens is that your twin is unambiguously younger when you meet back up, and you are the older twin.  There is no paradox at all.

For the black hole example, having the particle both fall into and not fall into the black hole doesn't work. You cannot clone a particle.  And if it did work, it would violate conservation laws -- the black hole would gain the mass without removing it from the external universe.

What really happens is if the particle approaches the black hole, it unambiguously either falls in, or it doesn't.  If the particle does fall in, the distant observer still sees it smushed onto the event horizon due to the infinite time dilation there, but he would not be able to meet up with it.  If he tries to swoop down in close to catch the particle, he will find it is not at the horizon, but always some distance in front of him -- all the way down to the singularity.

JackDole
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 14:43

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I am getting the unknown command error

You do not have to enter the brackets.
You have to type something like this here. 'LandTo 18.247 -133.173 4000'

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 14:47

Watsisname wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post But haven't we visually detected exoplanets? I remember seeing a gif showing 5 giant exoplanets orbiting a single star and the view was from above- the kind of thing I wish we could do with our own solar system!

There have been a few.  It is easiest for for large planets that are far from their stars. The problem is the glare of the sunlight, which swamps out the much fainter glow of the planets -- like trying observe the glow of a firefly next to a searchlight.  So you must use an occulting disk to block out the star but not the planets.  Observing in infrared also helps reduce the brightness of the star relative to the planets.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post But I really like paradoxes and I hope we become advanced enough as a species one day to create a few ourselves
About black holes, I remember reading about this particular paradox and it was resolved using the cloning theorem, that the particle both falls into the black hole and doesn't- there is a duplicate created

Paradoxes cannot exist in nature -- basically by definition.  The appearance of a paradox means you've tried describing something with knowledge that does not correctly describe it, or is incomplete.  We encounter paradoxes quite often in physics and they are a signal that we are missing something important, and can act as clues to figuring out how to reconcile different apparently contradictory concepts.

A good example is the twin paradox in relativity.  A naive application of principles of special relativity would suggest that you see time pass more slowly in frame which is moving relative to you, two observers moving relative to each other will see each other age more slowly.  Therefore if your twin goes on a high speed trip through the universe and comes back, both of you say that the other twin is younger.  That's a paradox -- how are both of you younger than the other?

The appearance of this paradox tells you that a crucial bit of physics wasn't accounted for.  In order to meet back up, your twin must accelerate and switch reference frames, and that introduces a new time dilation effect.  What really happens is that your twin is unambiguously younger when you meet back up.  There is no paradox at all.

For the black hole example, having the particle both fall into and not fall into the black hole doesn't work. You cannot clone a particle.  And if it did work, it would violate conservation laws -- the black hole would gain the mass without removing it from the external universe.

What really happens is if the particle approaches the black hole, it unambiguously either falls in, or it doesn't.  If the particle does fall in, the distant observer still sees it smushed onto the event horizon due to the infinite time dilation there, but he would not be able to meet up with it.  If he tries to swoop down in close to catch the particle, he will find it is not at the horizon, but always some distance in front of him -- all the way down to the singularity.

Thanks, that explains it well!  But let's say that our theories explaining the black hole (or big bang for that matter) as a "singularity" shows that our theories don't work on that level.  Would we then need new physics to explain what happens so that we can "clean up" the singularity effect?  (Some theories talk about the connection between the black hole and big bang singularities as an indication of new universe physics inside black holes.)

I remember paradoxes being used to explain why one can't travel backwards in time.  But then a possible way around it was explained as follows- traveling backwards in time creates a new time line therefore no paradox happens because events can happen entirely differently than they did in the old timeline in which the traveler originated.

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 14:52

JackDole wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I am getting the unknown command error

You do not have to enter the brackets.
You have to type something like this here. 'LandTo 18.247 -133.173 4000'

Thanks Jack, I tried that but still got the same error :(  I just altered the numbers a bit.
Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 5_51_47 PM.jpg

JackDole
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 15:09

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I tried that but still got the same error

You also do not have to enter the quotation marks ! Only this: LandTo 18.247 -133.173 4000

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 15:19

okay I shall try again :)  Is the 4000 elevation in meters? I am changing that to 10

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 15:22

I think it worked, although I can't get the info to display properly

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_21_56 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_20_42 PM.jpg
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 09 Aug 2017 15:38, edited 2 times in total.

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 15:35

I also changed the FOV, first to 90 degrees and then to 180.  Why does the mag limit become brighter as one increases the FOV? It went from 7.0 to now it's 5.44

One other question regarding this, is there a quick way for me to toggle between the "back" 180 and the "forward" 180- that way I can see the full 360 degrees with just one keystroke.

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_28_26 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_29_43 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_30_02 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_30_45 PM.jpg

I love the rainbow halo effect- it's too bad I can't see land under my feet!  Is there any way to "add" land?  I live 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.

JackDole
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 15:41

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I can't get the info to display properly

For some reason the earth is deselected. You can select it by pressing 3 times Shift H.

Actually such commands are used in scripts.
Something like this here:
// Denali (Mount McKinley)
// Denali.sc

GotoFast Earth
Wait 3.0
Center
Track
LandTo 63.069167 -151.007778 200
Wait 3.0
Untrack

It must be stored in addons\scripts, under the name Denali.sc. It is called in the console with Run Denali.

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 15:46

JackDole wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I can't get the info to display properly

For some reason the earth is deselected. You can select it by pressing 3 times Shift H.

Actually such commands are used in scripts.
Something like this here:
// Denali (Mount McKinley)
// Denali.sc

GotoFast Earth
Wait 3.0
Center
Track
LandTo 63.069167 -151.007778 200
Wait 3.0
Untrack

It must be stored in addons\scripts, under the name Denali.sc. It is called in the console with Run Denali.

Thanks I did the 3x Shift H and it worked but for some reason now the lat is back to -1 :(

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_46_37 PM.jpg

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 15:52

Okay I redid the lat/long in console and it seems to be right but I'm back in orbit again and the FOV changed to 120 degrees

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_52_35 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_52_35 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_47_52 PM.jpg
Attachments
Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_49_32 PM.jpg

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 15:58

The darn thing finally worked.  I just had to move around a bit to get the planet centered otherwise, when I tried to target the surface it showed a star "through" the planet for some odd reason.

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_56_08 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_57_34 PM.jpg

A-L-E-X
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 16:01

But now the FOV is stuck on 120 and won't let me change it even with the console.

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 6_59_50 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 8_9_2017 , 7_00_41 PM.jpg