Ultimate space simulation software

LucasAstro
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Gravity simulator thing I made

12 Mar 2018 10:29

Made a gravity thing, uses Gravitational constants etc...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV0rL2Md1_w
Any opinions? I know it's not any US2 but what do y'all think I should try and do with it?

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

13 Mar 2018 02:38

Nice!
If my YouTube channel wasn't deleted I would show you the simulator I brought to my exams.
I also did that with Unity, it comes very helpful in matter of visualization, the examination committee have been amazed by it!
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

LucasAstro
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

14 Mar 2018 01:01

Nice!
If my YouTube channel wasn't deleted I would show you the simulator I brought to my exams.
I also did that with Unity, it comes very helpful in matter of visualization, the examination committee have been amazed by it!
Nice! What equations did you use if you can remember? I used a "simple" (Took me a long time to implement it but it really clicked once I did) calculate Gravitational force (Force = 1st Mass * 2nd Mass / (DistanceSquared) ) and then calculated Center of Mass and made the object go towards the Center of Mass at the speed of the force.

LucasAstro
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

14 Mar 2018 01:13

Yeah before anyone points that out, I fixed that mess-up. Now it accelerates towards the object itself and not center of mass, much better! https://youtu.be/5ZRCrAbgiAY if it were to still be center of mass it would've moved up and down as the center of mass moves up as it goes the opposite way but goes down as the other object moves down. 
Better looking example of fix: https://youtu.be/aTCUaTjG-Hg haven't added any way of conservation of momentum so it just keeps going on in that way. It's #1 on things to add/fix

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

14 Mar 2018 02:44

Nice! What equations did you use if you can remember?
The same ones you did! The only addition is the formula for inelastic collision, because I wanted to simulate the fusion of particles and the resulted motion of the new one.
Now it accelerates towards the object itself and not center of mass
Did you use the function Collider.ClosestPoint?

If so I'm not sure it's correct, because gravity strength increases as distance decreases, so if you calculate using that point you may encounter infinite gravity as soon as the two objects collide, or a wrong value in case you're applying the force to the center of gravity of the second one.  :)

Otherwise... what did you mean with it? I'm interested!
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

LucasAstro
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

14 Mar 2018 03:06

Nice! What equations did you use if you can remember?
The same ones you did! The only addition is the formula for inelastic collision, because I wanted to simulate the fusion of particles and the resulted motion of the new one.
Now it accelerates towards the object itself and not center of mass
Did you use the function Collider.ClosestPoint?

If so I'm not sure it's correct, because gravity strength increases as distance decreases, so if you calculate using that point you may encounter infinite gravity as soon as the two objects collide, or a wrong value in case you're applying the force to the center of gravity of the second one.  :)

Otherwise... what did you mean with it? I'm interested!
Nah, I am using the heading towards the center of the sphere ( "(Sphere2TransformPosition - Sphere1TransformPosition).normalized;" ) so it wont be infinite gravity but they do end up generating free energy which is one of the things wrong with it. 
And I should really add the formula for inelastic collision, I'll see if I can implement it

astroclu
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 Oct 2018 11:29

Nicely done
Core i7-8700 [email protected] RAM 16GB GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB VRAM
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom"
Isaac Asimov

borek
Observer
Observer

02 Feb 2019 16:07

LucasAstro,what method of integrating the differential equation You used? :)