Ultimate space simulation software

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

Can you prove that the Earth isn't a hollow sphere?

23 Jul 2017 04:12

So you can combine all these observations to build a model of what the interior structure of the Earth has to be, and it is extremely powerful.  There is a surprising amount of information you can extract from these data, and in fact this is exactly where much of our knowledge of the structure of the Earth comes from.
Okay, thanks for explanations! Knew that about bats and some of the P and S waves, but now I understand more of it.
My seismometer is in the borderland of picking up Kim's explosions in N Korea
Little Kimmy is just playing around with his firecrackers and that's it.  :lol:
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

24 Jul 2017 04:46

Dude, the actual arguments are on the website itself! I'm just summarizing what they say. You have to look at the links.
Okay, I have question for you. Do you believe in hollow Earth?
No.

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

24 Jul 2017 04:51

But what if it is hollow at the very end, or halfway? Maybe few thousand kilometers bellow the surface.
Look at the image that Watsisname posted of the observed propagation of seismic waves through the Earth, as measured from a variety of different seismometers all over the world. You can observe almost every possible path of seismic waves through the Earth, including directly through the center, and there is no evidence of any hollow space.
Exactly what you would expect if you lived on the outside of a sphere. If you lived on the inside, it would seem to curve upwards.
What? Why would it?
Ignoring atmospheric refraction, this is what you would see:

LaserPostsPseudocurve.png

Due to the curvature of the Earth, the laser beam would appear to curve downwards, then back upwards. The reverse would be true if Earth's surface were concave.
Besides all of this, if you observe ships moving away from you over the horizon, you notice that their highest parts disappear last, and that when they are just over the horizon, you are seeing them from a downward angle, which would be impossible if we were not living on the outer surface of a round object.
Examples or videos?
Example 1: Here is a Falcon 9 rocket on a low, flat-decked barge on the horizon. Notice that you cannot see onto the deck of the barge, despite being at a higher elevation.

Example 2: A Falcon 9 rocket poking up over the horizon.

Those don't seem to be pointing away from us. From what I could gather from the article, he seems to be claiming that things which appear to be 'submerged' by the horizon are subject to an optical illusion of some sort, and appear in their entirety when viewed through magnification. But there's no rebuttal to seeing far-off objects tilted away from us.

As for the light post experiment, I'm not talking about lasers crossing half the world. If we take two lasers attached to posts, put them a kilometer apart at a perfectly level angle (water helps to do this), they will both hit the other post at the same height from which they were fired, on a flat Earth. On a convex Earth they will be higher. On a concave Earth they will be lower. Wild Heretic claims that they are lower and that this can be verified.
Last edited by Mouthwash on 24 Jul 2017 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

24 Jul 2017 04:57

Those don't seem to be pointing away from us.
Then why can't you see onto the deck of the barge, which you would be able to if it were not rotated? Keep in mind, the rotation will be slight, not obvious, because Earth is huge.
he seems to be claiming that things which appear to be 'submerged' by the horizon are subject to an optical illusion of some sort, and appear in their entirety when viewed through magnification
Yet in one of the photos, I showed a very magnified object which is unambiguously over the horizon.
Wild Heretic claims that they are lower and that this can be verified.
As Watsisname mentioned, this is due to atmospheric refraction.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

24 Jul 2017 05:00

Those don't seem to be pointing away from us.
Then why can't you see onto the deck of the barge, which you would be able to if it were not rotated? Keep in mind, the rotation will be slight, not obvious, because Earth is huge.
I dunno. Because they have railings? Seems ambiguous.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

24 Jul 2017 05:01

Because they have railings?
The railings are not opaque, so this makes no sense.

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

24 Jul 2017 05:08

Because they have railings?
The railings are not opaque, so this makes no sense.
Ah, he could easily be standing on the ground. The rig looks to be 50-100 feet high.
I edited my post to respond to your confusion regarding the lasers, fyi.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

24 Jul 2017 05:15

Ah, he could easily be standing on the ground. The rig looks to be 50-100 feet high.
It isn't. You can see in this picture that the height of the deck above the water is only 10-15 feet. The photographer is higher than this.
I edited my post to respond to your confusion regarding the lasers, fyi.
I edited my earlier post to reply.

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

24 Jul 2017 07:53

It isn't. You can see in this picture that the height of the deck above the water is only 10-15 feet. The photographer is higher than this.
And it does have a yellow barrier around it.

"I edited my earlier post to reply."

He said, and I quote: "Sure: atmospheric refraction.  Works just as well on being on the outside of a sphere as on the inside." So he doesn't really describe the refraction or explain why that refraction should produce a result exactly like that which we should expect on a concave Earth. Also, the second sentence is a complete non-sequitur.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Jul 2017 08:12

Also, the second sentence is a complete non-sequitur.
Which one? You mean Whatisname's? I didn't see completely unrelated answers. You're losing me.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

24 Jul 2017 08:59

And it does have a yellow barrier around it.
Yes, a yellow barrier 1 foot high. Not enough to matter.
So he doesn't really describe the refraction or explain why that refraction should produce a result exactly like that which we should expect on a concave Earth. Also, the second sentence is a complete non-sequitur.
He DOES explain it in post #20. And his second sentence is not a non-sequitur.

Anyway, we have given you multiple pieces of irrefutable evidence - some of which was personally gathered by forum members - that the Earth is NOT hollow, and that we do NOT live inside of it. Unless you can refute these pieces of evidence (sun rising and setting, satellite observations, Belt of Venus after sunset/before sunrise, seismic wave propogation, horizon observations, etc.) then there is no point in continuing to talk. You asked for proof, we gave it. Either refute our proof or accept it.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

24 Jul 2017 20:20

Mouthwash, your behavior is strange.  You make this thread under the pretext of seeing if the community can present a proof that the Earth is not hollow, or that we're inside of that hollow.  I interpret it as being posted as a fun intellectual exercise.  You also ask if the arguments given on some random website are valid or not, because apparently you are unsure.

Well, you've gotten what you asked for.  An appropriate response would be to explain if you found it satisfactory or not, and why.  If something is unclear the appropriate thing to do is ask for clarification.  Instead you seem more interested in arguing with people and ignoring things can't be explained with hollow Earth.  Your response to Twilight was rude, and so was your demand that I read and respond to tons of pages of nonsense while ignoring everything else that was presented for you.  Now you're trying to weasel around the horizon problem with HarbingerDawn, when it is really quite straightforward.

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

24 Jul 2017 20:43

I remember the days when I believed in such things like a hollow earth, Mouthwash. I think I did threads similar to this thread at somepoint in the past. Trust me, when you go onto forums like you are acting, and when you ignore statements others have made is not a good thing to go about doing. 
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

25 Jul 2017 16:39

Mouthwash, your behavior is strange.  You make this thread under the pretext of seeing if the community can present a proof that the Earth is not hollow, or that we're inside of that hollow.  I interpret it as being posted as a fun intellectual exercise.  You also ask if the arguments given on some random website are valid or not, because apparently you are unsure.

Well, you've gotten what you asked for.  An appropriate response would be to explain if you found it satisfactory or not, and why.  If something is unclear the appropriate thing to do is ask for clarification.  Instead you seem more interested in arguing with people and ignoring things can't be explained with hollow Earth.  Your response to Twilight was rude, and so was your demand that I read and respond to tons of pages of nonsense while ignoring everything else that was presented for you.  Now you're trying to weasel around the horizon problem with HarbingerDawn, when it is really quite straightforward.
I have 'someone is wrong on the internet' syndrome and don't know much about physics. I just wanted something to throw in the guy's face. Thanks to all the posters who've put effort into explaining this.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

25 Jul 2017 20:11

Righto, thanks for the explanation.  I think though that if you're in discussion with the author of the site, then it's likely a total waste of your time.

This exercise is best suited for those who meet this information and don't know how to test it or make conclusions from it, or for those who are actually interested in learning how we figure out the shape and structure of Earth.