Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

01 Sep 2017 06:36

"Oh, come on.  Was that 2 minutes you stupid Sun?"  LOL, exactly how I felt, followed by yelling into the sky "DO IT AGAIN!"

Great video.  It was an ordeal getting out, but worth every minute of it.
See that's exactly why I want us to do some sort of space-engineering to make these things last longer.

Fireinthehole
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

01 Sep 2017 09:53

See that's exactly why I want us to do some sort of space-engineering to make these things last longer.
I think that would take the charm out of it.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

01 Sep 2017 10:30

I think that would take the charm out of it.
It makes me sad because we get so excited and plan so much and then it's gone by in a few minutes.  In a way it's why I enjoy lunar eclipses so much, you can see the show and have time to take pictures, tell your friends to look up at the sky, etc.  It's also why I enjoy blizzards more than other types of extreme weather like thunderstorms, they are gone by in a flash.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

01 Sep 2017 14:15

The longest totality ever observed lasted 74 minutes.  Unfortunately, the engineering that made it possible is no longer available.
[youtube]zHLyypLk-0w[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

01 Sep 2017 14:21

The longest totality ever observed lasted 74 minutes.  Unfortunately, the engineering that made it possible is no longer available.
[youtube]zHLyypLk-0w[/youtube]
I used to take pictures of the Concorde flying into JFK every weekday morning at 8:42 am here at JFK :( One of the last ones I shot was back in 2003.  

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

01 Sep 2017 15:13

I'm actually of the view that the briefness of totality is a positive (to an extent). It doesn't give you time to get used to it, or for the awe to wear off too much. The briefness and rapidity of the change adds to the impact of it. Knowing that you only have a few minutes to take it all in suggests that you plan what to do with the time you have, as every second is precious and not something you'll get to enjoy again anytime soon.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

01 Sep 2017 19:56

Yay, Pecos Hank put up a video documenting his journey to see the eclipse! <3

[youtube]qZk5whsbs-4[/youtube]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

02 Sep 2017 01:55

I was wondering if someone ever got close to a black hole (but still a safe distance away) if a total eclipse is what it would look like.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

02 Sep 2017 02:34

Many people commented that it looked like a black hole in the sky.  Perhaps a few even meant it in the sense of a gravitational black hole, like the rendition of Gargantua from afar in Interstellar.  There is a resemblance, particularly in photos of the eclipse, but I think not so much to the eye with the way the corona streams out.  I didn't really get the impression of looking at a literal black hole, but of something very alien and beautiful.  It was hard to believe it was the Sun, too.

Also in reality a black hole's accretion disk would be blindingly bright.  Much brighter than even the surface of the Sun.  Probably not very pretty to look at without some eye protection.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

02 Sep 2017 02:42

Many people commented that it looked like a black hole in the sky.  Perhaps a few even meant it in the sense of a gravitational black hole, like the rendition of Gargantua from afar in Interstellar.  There is a resemblance, particularly in photos of the eclipse, but I think not so much to the eye with the way the corona streams out.  I didn't really get the impression of looking at a literal black hole, but of something very alien and beautiful.  It was hard to believe it was the Sun, too.

Also in reality a black hole's accretion disk would be blindingly bright.  Much brighter than even the surface of the Sun.  Probably not very pretty to look at without some eye protection.
That's pretty ironic that we would need eye protection to look at a black hole, but I see what you mean with it being like a cosmic particle collider of sorts with all kinds of dangerous radiation spewing forth from the accretion disk!

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

02 Sep 2017 03:08

Black holes are the darkest things in the universe, cloaked with the brightest things in the universe!

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

02 Sep 2017 03:15

Black holes are the darkest things in the universe, cloaked with the brightest things in the universe!
See the universe is dualistic ;-)
Everything balances out somehow......

Solaris
Observer
Observer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

02 Sep 2017 18:01

Wow I dont regret to came here to see some eclipse images from SE's users , you guys are the best ! !

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

03 Sep 2017 07:26

Another take, and at last I am very happy with this one and can consider the job done.  (I know, it's been an obsession.)

This is two sets of exposures (inner and outer corona) with 5 images each, aligned (corona-wise, since the Moon moves) and stacked together to reduce noise, then HDR combined with Harbinger's method and enhanced with Espenak's radial blur method, followed by some further adjustment with layer masks and curves to achieve what I've been dying to do -- convert my brain's image into a digital image.  Finally I can look at this and say "yes, that is what I remember seeing."

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

03 Sep 2017 12:33

Great job!  This is a very good match with what I saw.

I've made a 50x50 cm print of my composite photo and put it on the wall. And the protuberances came out very nicely on that print, much better than what I got on my monitor!
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI