Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

09 Jun 2017 23:32

Less than 3 months to go until the solar eclipse that will sweep across the US.  Lots of excitement starting to build up for it here.  Who has plans to see it, and where will you be?

I'll be camped out on the centerline in a field just north of Madras, Oregon, probably with tens of thousands of others.  Nothing brings people together like an eclipse!

Added:
Here's some good further information for this eclipse, including maps, times, and average cloud cover statistics along the totality path

http://www.solar-eclipse.de/en/eclipse/ ... 017-08-21/
http://eclipsophile.com/overview/
► maps
Updated:  The event has passed and was successfully viewed by several forum members!  Here are some of our best images:
► DoctorOfSpace - Guthrie, KY
► HarbingerDawn - Madisonvile, TN
► John Wain - Lime, OR
► Midtskogen - Madras, OR
► Watsisname - Madras, OR

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

10 Jun 2017 01:28

I wont be able to make it, but I'm looking forward to read the reports here, especially from first time eclipse watchers!
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

10 Jun 2017 01:53

I have plans to drive down to Hopkinsville or a nearby area depending on the weather.  Most hotels and motels are booked for the day so have to leave around midnight or so and drive straight through.  Going to be a very long day, but totally worth it.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

problemecium
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

10 Jun 2017 01:54

I'm surprised this didn't have a thread already o_O
ᴩʀoʙʟᴇᴍᴇᴄɪᴜᴍ﹖

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

10 Jun 2017 02:05

There was a thread in the old forum.  It may contain some useful information and is worth checking out.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

10 Jun 2017 03:29

I'm planning to watch it in Tennessee. Hopefully with SpaceEngineer :)
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

waterlubber
Observer
Observer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

10 Jun 2017 15:42

I can see a partial eclipse with around 75% coverage from my current location. I'm not sure if I can go down south to see it, but I'd love to.

Either way, I'm really excited as this will be the first eclipse I've seen. (Excluding boring old lunar eclipses.
I remember the old forum!

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

10 Jun 2017 19:06

I drove my car to Hungary for having the privilege of experiencing the totality in 1999, and I tell you it's something you won't regret especially if you're interested in astronomy and sciences. Partial eclipses are very interesting, but it's nothing compared to the corona seen with naked eye. I even tried shooting some photos, I had a nice camera and tripod for the occasion, but I couldn't stop looking at the sun and all surroundings, and oh the colors...
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

16 Jun 2017 02:26

I may have an opportunity to catch this eclipse after all.  Perhaps.  It's just that I need to be in Mountain View, CA 09:00 on the 22nd.  I can get to SFO on the 18th or 19th, and getting a flight to Portland or Seattle on the 20th seems to be doable.  Getting a flight from Portland to SFO late on the 21st, however, doesn't seem possible (sold out).  Flying from Seattle has more options, but Seattle is a much longer drive from the totality zone (I don't care about the partial phase after totality).  The latest flight is at 20:45.  Another option is to catch the first flight in the morning from Seattle on the 22nd, and I should be able to reach Mountain View almost on time, but this is less attractive as I would probably be slightly late and I will have the hassle to find an extra place to stay overnight (the first night should be closer to the totality zone, in it if possible).  I guess it's also possible to drive from the eclipse all the way to California (11 hours?) and still be able to catch some sleep before my meeting on the 22nd, but this sounds quite exhausting.

To anyone here who would happen to know the roads - what option seems to be the best one?

EDIT: Or I could even drive from California on the 20th and back again the next day.  It may not be much fun, but it would give some freedom in where to be in the totality zone.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

16 Jun 2017 04:18

I think the straight drive to California is the least attractive option.  Without traffic it's about 9-10 hours, but on eclipse day it may be a lot more than that.  And after all the events, plus the long drive, definitely exhausting.

From the northern side of totality to Seattle would be about a 3.5 hour drive on I-5 if there's no traffic.  There is almost never no traffic.  Around Portland and Seattle it can come to a crawl and add hours to the commute at any time of day for seemingly no reason.  Now add the eclipse.  Millions are expected to converge in the totality path in Oregon, and it is said that it will be very difficult even just to drive to the totality path the morning of.  I don't think getting out is going to be much easier even if you try to dip out right at C3.  I'd really hate to think it could be so bad as to turn 3 hours into 9 on an interstate, but this is an unprecedented situation.  It's probably doable but I'd be nervous.

So, I really don't know.  If you feel comfortable getting to Seattle for the last flight that evening, then I'd say go for it.  I'd feel safer if you can find a place to bed for the night and catch the first flight next morning, but as you said that adds another risk and inconvenience.

Sorry I don't have a better answer than that.  Where would you plan to view from?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

16 Jun 2017 06:00

Thanks for your input.  I think the viewing location has to come secondary since the schedule will be tight.  There still seem to be vacant tent spots in Solartown/Madras, which might be a good option or at least fallback (but I also fear that the organised event in Madras means chaos).  The 3.5 hour distance to Seattle sounds like something that could easily hit 5-6 hours on 20th & 21st, and I cannot risk whatsoever to need 8 hours to get to Seattle even if I leave just after totality.  Driving instead of flying may then be the safer option, though otherwise quite unattractive (add a 9 hour jet lag), but since I'm alone I don't have to worry much about comfort.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to think that traffic south of the zone will be lighter (but roads are fewer too).

The question is, is it more unattractive than to see a 75% eclipse from the Bay Area?  :)
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

16 Jun 2017 13:10

The question is, is it more unattractive than to see a 75% eclipse from the Bay Area? 
The GreatAmericanEclipse website has the right answer:
► Show Spoiler
:)

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

16 Jun 2017 13:17

I know.  Partial eclipses are non-events.  Sometimes I don't even bother to look at them even when they're visible from my location.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

16 Jun 2017 13:27

The GreatAmericanEclipse website has the right answer:
But what if it's cloudy at totality?
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

16 Jun 2017 13:33

But what if it's cloudy at totality?
Totality behind clouds is still better than a 99% partial eclipse in clear weather.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI