Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

08 Jul 2017 23:44

The good thing is the eclipse itself has a tendency to destroy clouds -- or at least low level cumulus clouds that are fed by convection.  So the probability is actually a bit better than the statistics suggest, especially in the east.  Now if there are already thunderstorms developed then they probably won't die out in time, and it won't do anything for a frontal system.  But at least with frontal systems you have several days of notice to move out of the way if you can.

Along the west coast the concern would be morning fog, which might not burn off in time, especially with the Sun going away.  In the midwest a concern is smoke from forest fires, since it's peak of summer drought and fire season.  There's a risk no matter where you are, so just gotta plan and hope for the best.  And it'll be awesome no matter what happens. :)

I really look forward to all the comments and recordings afterward.  This will likely be the most photographed and filmed eclipse ever!

Fireinthehole
Astronaut
Astronaut

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

09 Jul 2017 03:40

I hope there will be a livestream for us non-Americans to follow the eclipse. :)

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

09 Jul 2017 03:45

Yes, Fireinthehole. I hope the same!
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

midtskogen
Pioneer
Pioneer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

09 Jul 2017 11:13

I'm thinking about sending live on fb with my phone if:
1. I manage to get to Madras, Oregon (I have a rental car in SF and a tent spot in Madras).
2. I'm able to use data on my phone for less than the typical fantasy roaming prices (perhaps the best shot is to buy a sim card once I get to the US, but I've never checked out how where and how that works).
3. There is good mobile connectivity in Madras (which isn't the centre of the universe and the US has long been lagging behind the rest of the world internet wise).
4. The network isn't overloaded because of all the others with similar plans.
5. There is something to see (i.e. not hopelessly overcast)
6. I'm not running short of time (I'm not going to miss an eclipse because my attention is on cameras instead).

So, probably no live broadcast, but not unthinkable.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

09 Jul 2017 13:16

I was surprised to see that Madras and the surrounding area has 4G LTE data coverage, so that's nice to know. :)

For myself I may try to do a video (video is nice since you can just set it up and let it run, and I'd like a record of the reactions of the crowd) and maybe a few close-ups of totality and the diamond ring with the Canon and telephoto.  But definitely I will not try to do too much besides enjoy it with my own eyes.

I think there should be tons of live streams available online from all over.  If weather cooperates it might even be possible to load up several sites along the track and watch as the shadow sweeps across the country in real time.

midtskogen
Pioneer
Pioneer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

09 Jul 2017 13:45

Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post Madras and the surrounding area has 4G LTE data coverage

Good.  Perhaps I should simply order a prepaid sim card for data online and hope the best.

Roaming charges are just so outrageous.  When I was in south Korea last year, the rate was nearly $10 per MB (luckily there were free wifi networks many places in Seoul, even in small stores).  Nobody pays that willingly, so their business model must be based on tourists forgetting to disable data roaming.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

09 Jul 2017 14:31

I am just curios, but, how many of you are leaving your country to see The Eclipse? And it would be great to see live the eclipse! 
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

09 Jul 2017 14:49

NASA is ready for a live stream: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

09 Jul 2017 16:16

Mosfet wrote:
NASA is ready for a live stream: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

Thanks! Saw it before, but didn't know it is livestream. I thought it is just countdown. :D

midtskogen
Pioneer
Pioneer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

09 Jul 2017 22:05

Marko S. wrote:
Source of the post I am just curios, but, how many of you are leaving your country to see The Eclipse?

I thought I wouldn't, but I'm going to California on business that week anyway, so it's worth a shot, though I have to drive 1800 km and I have to be at a meeting 22 hours and 900 km away after totality.  I don't look very much forward to the driving shortly after 20 hours of flying and airports and being 9 hours jetlagged, but it's quite doable.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

10 Jul 2017 02:16

midtskogen wrote:
Marko S. wrote:
Source of the post I am just curios, but, how many of you are leaving your country to see The Eclipse?

I thought I wouldn't, but I'm going to California on business that week anyway, so it's worth a shot, though I have to drive 1800 km and I have to be at a meeting 22 hours and 900 km away after totality.  I don't look very much forward to the driving shortly after 20 hours of flying and airports and being 9 hours jetlagged, but it's quite doable.

At least you can see some of the Eclipse. And beeing at the Total Eclipse at your postition is hard, but I hope you can make it if you want. :)
Good luck!

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

11 Jul 2017 21:21

Great high resolution video of the movement (and precise shape) of the shadow across the country, with the local time.  Very valuable for knowing the exact time and duration of totality at different locations.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a ... 360p30.mp4

I was surprised by how non-round the shadow is.  This is due to the effect of lunar terrain, where the Sun peaks through the valleys a little longer.

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

11 Jul 2017 21:37

Watsisname, good to know where I plan to go is going to be a great view.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

12 Jul 2017 00:38

Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post Great high resolution video of the movement

Excellent video
Ryzen 7 1700 OC to 3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 980 Ti 6144 MB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

23 Jul 2017 00:37

So, does it feel close yet?  Today is the new moon.  The next new moon is the thing!    /getready

Traffic:
It is going to be NUTS.  But some places will be impacted more than others.  If you plan on driving to the eclipse, know what you're getting into and plan accordingly.  Give yourself enough time and bring extra necessities, because you may be stuck on the road for a while, especially getting out!

Predicting Eclipse Visitation with Population Statistics (useful infographics and maps)
Google Maps - Traffic Predictions