Ultimate space simulation software

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 15:35

Did some preliminary photo processing, here are a few sample shots (I plan to do something really great when I finally get home).

Partial eclipse, with sunspots visible

Prominences and inner corona

Outer corona and Regulus, also Moon faintly visible in Earthshine

Diamond ring and more prominences
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 17:01

There were solar prominences visible on the edge of the solar limb- they look pink in pictures!

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 17:01

Oops I see some of you already posted them lol

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 17:03

the photo guy wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
HarbingerDawn wrote:
I just returned to my hotel from viewing the eclipse in Madisonville, Tennessee. Sky was clear and eclipse was visible the whole time. Very nice experience, except for the extreme heat. Once the moon started blocking the sun though it got better :)

Will post pictures whenever I process them, some will have to wait until Thursday.

Sorry you didn't get to see it with me SpaceEngineer!

I just wish these things lasted longer :(  Do you think in the future humanity might be able to engineer our own artificial eclipses and give them a wider coverage and make them last longer?  What kind of tech would it take?

I don't know what it would take. But I feel like having an artificial or in other words "a forced" eclipse wouldn't be as special as a natural eclipse. Natural eclipse seem to come rare enough for if someone where to see it, It feels so special. But a forced eclipse that comes say every year wouldn't feel as special after some time.

You're probably right.  I'm already planning for 2024 lol.

the photo guy
Explorer
Explorer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 17:10

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post You're probably right.  I'm already planning for 2024 lol.

I'm hoping to travel to the destination of where the sun is going to be blocked 100%. even though I most defiantly hate flying or driving car for long periods of time. getting to know new places and seeing the world is something worth doing in your 20's! so by 2024 if I'm traveling and having fun in my 20's I'm going to be sure to join everybody for the 2024 solar eclipse :)
I don't really come on here anymore, I used to! a lot. but now Its kind of just for news and stuff. I don't talk anymore :/

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 17:15

the photo guy wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:

I'm hoping to travel to the destination of where the sun is going to be blocked 100%. even though I most defiantly hate flying or driving car for long periods of time. getting to know new places and seeing the world is something worth doing in your 20's! so by 2024 if I'm traveling and having fun in my 20's I'm going to be sure to join everybody for the 2024 solar eclipse :)

It's in my state (NY) so I just need to drive 3 hours straight north.  I'm just hoping early April weather isn't bad up there that year.

the photo guy
Explorer
Explorer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 17:19

A-L-E-X wrote:
the photo guy wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:

It's in my state (NY) so I just need to drive 3 hours straight north.  I'm just hoping early April weather isn't bad up there that year.

new York is very far from where I currently am. I'm sure weather is one of the most worrying things to anybody one it comes to solar eclipse :P. So even though its far from now, lets hope the weather is good!
I don't really come on here anymore, I used to! a lot. but now Its kind of just for news and stuff. I don't talk anymore :/

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 19:00

Ok, I couldn't wait until I got home, so I tried to do that "really great" thing I promised while still on the road.

Rough HDR composite of the solar corona!

Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Topic Author

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 20:18

Great HDR! That looks a very close match to how we saw it in Oregon. :)

SCtester
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 20:20

I drove to Albany, Oregon to see it in totality. What an insane, beautiful, wondrous experience. So glad I was able to see it in it's path of totality. While on the topic, the latest SE updated does a nice job of showing the eclipse!

I was too focused on being amazed, so unfortunately I don't have any awesome photos to share like some other people here. 

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 20:40

the photo guy wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
the photo guy wrote:

new York is very far from where I currently am. I'm sure weather is one of the most worrying things to anybody one it comes to solar eclipse :P. So even though its far from now, lets hope the weather is good!

It also goes into eastern Canada so you could drive to Montreal to see it.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 20:41

Watsisname wrote:
Great HDR!  That looks a very close match to how we saw it in Oregon. :)

Is there some way to do an HDR so one can see both the craters on the moon and the sun's corona at the same time?

midtskogen
World Builder
World Builder

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 20:42

totality.jpg
diamondring.jpg

Superb, Harb.  I've got a couple of snapshots from one of my video cameras.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
World Builder
World Builder

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 20:43

Estimated arrival (without stops) at my hotel is now 2am. :(
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

21 Aug 2017 20:44

midtskogen wrote:
totality.jpgdiamondring.jpg
Superb, Harb.  I've got a couple of snapshots from one of my video cameras.

Wow I didn't know Norway saw totality!