Ultimate space simulation software

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

SpaceX

16 Feb 2018 00:46

Cool. What was the sound like?
Thanks for reminding me. Here's a link to the audio recordings I made:

Make sure you are using audio equipment that can reproduce low frequencies very well, and play it fairly loud for the full effect.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

SpaceX

16 Feb 2018 01:48

My headphones did no justice to that clip. :/

I ran the video below on my TV with my earthquake subwoofer.  It was quite nice (but things in my living room start to rattle so much, so I had to keep it down somewhat).  If I get a chance to see a launch, I think I would mainly be there for the sound.

[youtube]x7uQ8OWiheM[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

SpaceX

16 Feb 2018 08:38

Yeah, I think Falcon Heavy has a cooler sound than the Space Shuttle. I'd be there just to hear it too.
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

SpaceX

22 Feb 2018 16:07

People all over northern Norway reported a strange light this evening.  Apparently it was the launch of Falcon 9.  A couple of our meteor cameras recorded it.  I'll make a video.

EDIT: The video:
[youtube]rzEY90ofQPk[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

SpaceX

22 Feb 2018 18:01

midtskogen, how's the internet service? The password is supposedly "martians"
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

SpaceX

23 Feb 2018 14:38

Using this footage as well as similar footage from Finland, the velocity comes out as 7.8 km/s and the height around 530 km.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

SpaceX

10 Mar 2018 20:08

New SpaceX video of the Falcon Heavy launch. Includes footage of the core crashing into the ocean near the drone ship!
[youtube]A0FZIwabctw[/youtube]

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

SpaceX

25 Apr 2018 00:15

[youtube]tB9lYUUkLDA[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

SpaceX

25 Apr 2018 05:16

Thanks for sharing that!  Very interesting.  I guess the main takeaway is that for the next couple centuries it is most likely still orbiting between Earth and Mars, but for the more distant future the increased probability of encounters makes the possibility space expand through the whole solar system.

I most like the tiny chance that it could be ejected from the solar system and become interstellar. :P

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

SpaceX

25 Apr 2018 07:28

Yeah, the possibility for a hyperbolic trajectory was surprising.  I wonder if it's really roughly a 1/1000 chance in 200 years, or simply a freak artefact of the simulation.  This is sort of related to something we see in meteor observations, since typical meteors, like the Tesla, are inner solar system objects in an orbit with Earth encounters.  Very occasionally, orbit calculations give an eccentricity > 1 (and are difficult to explain with inaccurate observations).  The question then is, especially when the orbit is barely hyperbolic, is whether it's an interstellar meteor, or a local object that has been slingshot gravitationally.  One could think that if such hyperbolas form frequently, the solar system would have emptied itself of dust and meteoroids long ago.  But on the other hand, the solar system was formed with an extremely high number of small objects.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

SpaceX

04 Nov 2019 01:07

An interesting read about Starlink.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

SpaceX

04 Nov 2019 11:30

I wonder how long before we develop Spacenet!

John Done
Observer
Observer

SpaceX

01 Sep 2020 08:53

Elon Mask has identified the biggest challenge in colonizing Mars - building a base for permanent residence of people. He said it is even more difficult than getting to Mars. But, before this statement, he said that it is impossible to colonize Mars in the nearest future, however, there is already a prototype of the reusable spaceship. Mask also said that colonizing requires a lot of people. When the recruitment is open - please let me know, I wanna be a volunteer.  :mrgreen:

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

SpaceX

05 Sep 2020 00:18

interesting that they have a machine going there that can convert CO2 to O2, why not use that here on earth too? :P

Challenger
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

SpaceX

26 Oct 2020 09:17

Elon Mask has identified the biggest challenge in colonizing Mars - building a base for permanent residence of people. He said it is even more difficult than getting to Mars. But, before this statement, he said that it is impossible to colonize Mars in the nearest future, however, there is already a prototype of the reusable spaceship. Mask also said that colonizing requires a lot of people. When the recruitment is open - please let me know, I wanna be a volunteer.  :mrgreen:
Elon Musk is the genius of our time. It's hard to argue with that. The developments of his company are simply amazing. But after all, not only SpaceX is engaged in developments in the field of space exploration. The UK space company is also developing important components for spacecraft. Perhaps, with the conclusion of cooperation between countries, we will be able to explore space faster! This is politics, it is difficult, but this is our future.