Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

What do you think about the super flare of the star Proxima Centauri?

02 Mar 2018 22:36

------------------------------------------------------
Merged from the "What do you think about the super flare of the star Proxima Centauri?" topic

I think the present moment is not special, and similar or even greater flares surely happened throughout Proxima's history.  So if there was life on Proxima b it must be quite hardy and used to such events.  Or if life there would be extinguished by this event then it was never habitable in the first place.

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Mar 2018 21:55

Merged from the "What do you think about the super flare of the star Proxima Centauri?" topic

yeah and also probably the planet has little to no atmosphere because of proxima radiation 
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Mar 2018 22:09

Proxima B is probably a mars like world, or it is a hot steamhouse planet like Venus. I doubt there is life there.
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

Destructor1701
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

04 Mar 2018 19:00

Yeah, if this is a normal flare (or even a once-in-a-lifetime event), then Proxima B is toast, and the likelihood of life getting a foothold there just got way lower.

I suppose abiogenesis could still take place in deep-ocean lava vents if the conditions (oceans+volcanism) exist - the ocean would shelter the biome - but this flare has been described as "atmosphere-stripping", so the probability of the planet retaining a liquid ocean without it boiling off a few millennia after deposition declines now too.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

05 Mar 2018 01:58

I know that life around M-type stars (mostly flare stars) is considered very unlikely.  It orbits 20 times closer than earth relative to the sun, so any of these events you "fry" all the life present in there.
I was always been quite skeptic about life around Proxima Centauri.  I think the only type of stars that allows life to develop are K, G and F stars (with K being the most and F being the least), I also consider unlikely some forms of life in deep ocean for M stars, it is way harder to get things going in the right way "exactly in one of these points" rather than in all the area that the Earth had to develop life.  If it could potentially happen it surely requires much more time than it took on Earth to reach a proper stage of life, like those of multicellular, eventually more than the 4,85 Gyr of age it already has.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

05 Mar 2018 04:39

When it comes to K type stars, they aren't known for massive flares (at least to my knowledge, I could be wrong). They still live alot longer than our sun, and planets don't have to orbit as close to them to be warm. So I think that K type stars are probably better for planets overall than M stars, less likely to be tidal locked.
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

05 Mar 2018 04:50

I think the current astrophysical meaning of "habitable zone" makes it a term that shouldn't be used in communication.  A lot of stars probably don't have one in the sense people will perceive the term.  I'm fine with the term as a term used in astrophysics, which already has terms with different meanings than ordinary language (like "metal").  But I think we could avoid much confusion if it could be named something more neutral like "temperate zone".

Considering that we can't rule out that life can exist on energy from geological processes, radioactive decay or tidal heating, it's not even strictly necessary for a planet to be in this habitable zone to support life, anyway.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

alfa015
Astronaut
Astronaut

09 Mar 2018 10:53

good points, indeed active flare stars are a problem, but i think that if proxima b had a magnetic field stronger than earth, those flares wouldn't be much of a problem

sophiewilson0191
Observer
Observer

Exoplanets news thread

02 Apr 2018 07:47

Real life Exoplanet. Is it safe?
(Habitable Exoplanet Discovered Close To Earth)
https://www.evolving-science.com/space/ ... arth-00495

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

10 Apr 2018 14:48

Paper on Proxima Centauri superflare (summary: Proxima b surface = toast)
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

ImThing2
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Exoplanets news thread

21 Apr 2018 10:16

who's excited for the upcoming James Webb Telescope?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Exoplanets news thread

05 Sep 2018 17:16

There's a very nice visualization tool depicting potential exoplanets candidates here:
http://www.asterank.com/exoplanets
Overall, the main website itself has nice visual features regarding asteroids and dark matter.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

Exoplanets news thread

05 Sep 2018 21:15

That's the coolest visualization I've seen in years!
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

NotADalek
Observer
Observer

Exoplanets news thread

26 Sep 2018 22:14

*thread bump*
https://www.universetoday.com/140045/as ... dicted-it/

According to Tennessee University senior research scientist Gregory Henry, "Star Trek fans may know the star HD 26965 by its alternative moniker, 40 Eridani A. Vulcan was connected to 40 Eridani A in the publications 'Star Trek 2' by James Blish and 'Star Trek Maps' by Jeff Maynard."
"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." --Winston Churchill, Great Britian PM

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Exoplanets news thread

27 Sep 2018 00:14

*thread bump*
https://www.universetoday.com/140045/as ... dicted-it/

According to Tennessee University senior research scientist Gregory Henry, "Star Trek fans may know the star HD 26965 by its alternative moniker, 40 Eridani A. Vulcan was connected to 40 Eridani A in the publications 'Star Trek 2' by James Blish and 'Star Trek Maps' by Jeff Maynard."
That's an 'old' news! ;)
Spock’s World Found! Astronomers Discover Actual Planet Vulcan

https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/19/spocks ... et-vulcan/
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)