Free planetarium

 
A-L-E-X
Explorer
Posts: 292
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

TRAPPIST-1

09 Apr 2017 19:01

TheRedstoneHive wrote:
I made a planet addon just for TRAPPIST-1 e - It adds onto the TRAPPIST-1 plugin made by SpaceEngineer, and will add on to the TRAPPIST-1 system that will be released in a future update.

Thanks!  Would this go in the addons folder right along with the .pak file?
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 09 Apr 2017 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
 
A-L-E-X
Explorer
Posts: 292
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

TRAPPIST-1

09 Apr 2017 19:23

https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.04166

Based on that paper, Trappist-1 is a flare star (much like Proxima Centauri) so the chances of any kind of advanced life on its planets is unlikely, though simple unicellular life might still exist.
 
User avatar
TheRedstoneHive
Astronaut
Posts: 48
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Location: TRAPPIST-1
Contact:

TRAPPIST-1

10 Apr 2017 12:17

A-L-E-X wrote:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.04166

Based on that paper, Trappist-1 is a flare star (much like Proxima Centauri) so the chances of any kind of advanced life on its planets is unlikely, though simple unicellular life might still exist.

:)
 
User avatar
TheRedstoneHive
Astronaut
Posts: 48
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Location: TRAPPIST-1
Contact:

TRAPPIST-1

10 Apr 2017 12:19

A-L-E-X wrote:
TheRedstoneHive wrote:
I made a planet addon just for TRAPPIST-1 e - It adds onto the TRAPPIST-1 plugin made by SpaceEngineer, and will add on to the TRAPPIST-1 system that will be released in a future update.

Thanks!  Would this go in the addons folder right along with the .pak file?

Put the file in addons/catalogs/planets
 
A-L-E-X
Explorer
Posts: 292
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

TRAPPIST-1

10 Apr 2017 17:36

TheRedstoneHive wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.04166

Based on that paper, Trappist-1 is a flare star (much like Proxima Centauri) so the chances of any kind of advanced life on its planets is unlikely, though simple unicellular life might still exist.

:)

I've been reading up on this some more and it seems like more advanced life MIGHT be possible if the planet can retain its atmosphere.  What is required is a strong magnetic field.  We recently found a planet that still has its atmosphere intact in this kind of scenario (I posted the link somewhere on this site lol) so all hope is not yet lost!  The universe constantly surprises us.
 
User avatar
TheRedstoneHive
Astronaut
Posts: 48
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Location: TRAPPIST-1
Contact:

TRAPPIST-1

10 Apr 2017 20:38

A-L-E-X wrote:
TheRedstoneHive wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.04166

Based on that paper, Trappist-1 is a flare star (much like Proxima Centauri) so the chances of any kind of advanced life on its planets is unlikely, though simple unicellular life might still exist.

:)

I've been reading up on this some more and it seems like more advanced life MIGHT be possible if the planet can retain its atmosphere.  What is required is a strong magnetic field.  We recently found a planet that still has its atmosphere intact in this kind of scenario (I posted the link somewhere on this site lol) so all hope is not yet lost!  The universe constantly surprises us.

YAY :)
 
User avatar
SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author
Posts: 290
Joined: 17 May 2016
Location: Saint-Petersburg
Contact:

TRAPPIST-1

17 Apr 2017 07:02

The new article is out, with measurement of masses of all planets using combined Kepler and Spitzer data. Outer planets became much less massive then thought before. Planet h is just 7 masses of Ganymede - smaller than Mars (although error is 100%). Densities of all outer planets are less than 2, so they must be composed of water and/or ice. So updated mod have these classes for planets: b, с - desert, d - terra, e, f - oceania (partially frozen), g, h - ice world.
TRAPPIST-1.pak
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
 
User avatar
Spacer
Explorer
Posts: 162
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Location: mevaseret zion, israel

TRAPPIST-1

17 Apr 2017 07:57

ok so i calculated myself the gravity of the planets after an updated article of the planets's mass and here my results:
planet b= 0.679g
planet c= 1.463g
planet d= 0.554g
planet e= 0.713g
planet f= 0.33g
planet g= 0.446g
planet h= 0.167g

for planet e i used an average of 0.56xEarth mass
it seems in your addon you used other value that changed the g alot (our two results...) but i am probably the one who got it wrong
so it seems planet g Is not a gas planet after all? very lower g than first results expacted...
took my half an hour to calculate all of that but it was good exercise for my mind  :)
"Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan
 
User avatar
SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author
Posts: 290
Joined: 17 May 2016
Location: Saint-Petersburg
Contact:

TRAPPIST-1

17 Apr 2017 10:57

Planet g never though to be a gas planet with a mass of ~1 Earths.
 
plu93
Observer
Posts: 1
Joined: 07 May 2017

TRAPPIST-1

16 May 2017 10:59

add old vrsion 1.48?
 
A-L-E-X
Explorer
Posts: 292
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

TRAPPIST-1

24 May 2017 23:02

SpaceEngineer wrote:
The new article is out, with measurement of masses of all planets using combined Kepler and Spitzer data. Outer planets became much less massive then thought before. Planet h is just 7 masses of Ganymede - smaller than Mars (although error is 100%). Densities of all outer planets are less than 2, so they must be composed of water and/or ice. So updated mod have these classes for planets: b, с - desert, d - terra, e, f - oceania (partially frozen), g, h - ice world.
TRAPPIST-1.pak

I've been playing with SE quite a bit and I found this version of the pak does not allow you to land on the planets (besides c) and when you click on a planet it instead shows the stars that lie beyond it.  So I went back to the March .pak and I can now land on all the planets again.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest