Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Astrophotography

11 Sep 2020 01:24

pzampella wrote:
A-L-E-X, I have no idea! Maybe 12 or something like that?

How do I use Astrobin for that? I just signed up, but I see no map or anything like what you mention.

when you upload an image to Astrobin it will automatically map out all the stars it detects.  It's like a cartography function!

John Done
Observer
Observer

Astrophotography

22 Sep 2020 03:06

Today we can use the abundance of high-resolution cameras and telescopes to observe space. What a great picture one can have using drones. But, can you imagine that in the future we can use satellites to picture space? And what are satellites used for now and for what could they be used in the future?   Now, satellites are used to observe global environmental change as they are capable of monitoring remote regions, hidden features, and environmental events that cannot be detected by the human eye. 

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Astrophotography

23 Sep 2020 20:20

John Done wrote:
Source of the post But, can you imagine that in the future we can use satellites to picture space?

We have been using satellites to do this for decades. The Hubble Space Telescope, which launched in 1990, is perhaps the most well known for its beautiful images of galaxies and nebulae. But the history of space-based telescopes goes back even further than Hubble. In 1983 IRAS (Infrared Astronomy Telescope) was launched and scanned scanned the entire sky in infrared wavelengths. In 1972 Small Astronomy Satellite 2, which was a gamma ray telescope, was launched. The use of satellites has been crucial for astronomy, since they allow us to get above the atmosphere which absorbs most of the electromagnetic spectrum.

My personal favorite example: Planck, and its predecessors WMAP and COBE, which measured the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation so that we could learn more about the Big Bang and the evolution of the universe.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Astrophotography

25 Sep 2020 02:36

I have a feeling you'll be adding Kepler to your list of favorites after it makes some amazing discoveries ;-)

midtskogen
World Builder
World Builder

Astrophotography

13 Oct 2020 03:18

A fireball captured by one of our cameras last night.  I like how it made the clouds green.

ildkule.jpg
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI