Ultimate space simulation software

midtskogen
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

Asteroids, meteors, and meteorites

19 Nov 2017 01:30

I caught a nice southern Taurid on camera last night.  It exploded reaching -14 magnitude or brighter.

tauride-20171119.jpg

max.jpg

Video
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

21 Nov 2017 13:09

The 16th November event was recorded by infrasound stations over a large part of the northern hemisphere, as far away as Alaska and Mongolia.  CTBTO published this map:
But they're too far to the east.  The event actually happened near Lake Inari in Finland.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

22 Nov 2017 08:49

I've been quoted by CBS in this story

We know much more now, though.  The headline is my initial estimate, which I think still holds.  But the location has been much better pinpointed.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

22 Nov 2017 10:05

So, even if the area can hardly be inspected right now, searches will be postponed in a prolonged period of time, when temperatures will be more favorable If I'm interpreting right?
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

midtskogen
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

22 Nov 2017 11:04

As the Finnish article says, the Finnish guys have already been to the area, but it's a difficult search.  It's a remote area, there are only a few hours of daylight/twilight a day, and I believe that there are restrictions on the use of snowmobiles in that area, so they have to ski.  I think it's a few hours on skis from the nearest road just to get into the fall zone.  Some meteorites may have dropped over Lake Inari, but it's a big lake and not safely frozen yet despite temperatures around -20°C recently.  A heavy snowfall is expected on Friday, which will not make searched very practical until spring.  The snow is usually gone by late May in this area.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

12 Dec 2017 11:34

Finally we have a camera in Northern Norway in our meteor network.  Online just in time for the Geminids.  And the northern lights give a nice touch. :)
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI