Ultimate space simulation software

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Science and Astronomy Videos

02 May 2018 14:49

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

16 May 2018 06:10

I loved this video where comet 67P Churyumov-Gerasimenko and its dust trailes are tracked for a century.

In 1959 67P changed orbit after a very close ecnounter with Jupiter. Numerical simulations show a close aproach distance between 0.040 and 0.020 AU (depending if you are considering or not deviations due to the push performed by cometary jets). Considering that Callisto orbits Jupiter at 0.012AU this had to be an epic vista.

The video shows a model of dust ejection by the comet where each perihelion pass is colored with different colors. As time goes on, the dust of the comet get's caotically distributed around the orbit and the inner planets start to generate a complex cloud.

As you can see, Mars is going to have new amazing meteor showers produced by Rosetta's comet the next decades.

After the encounter 67P acquiered its current orbit (September this year it's going to change again a little by anothe Jupiter encounter)

I leave you with this awesome timelapse taken by Rosetta. Each frame is a long-exposure image taken of the neck of the comet (when it was in shadows). You can see the neck because daylight bounces in different parts of the comet making a pale reflection on this region. In the background you can see the stars (even a globular cluster shows up). And in the front you are watching dust grains as they pass in front of the camera.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

16 May 2018 16:42

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 May 2018 05:58

Popular science of 1957 (the first 17 minutes can be skipped).
[youtube]E0sbqqYo97s[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

02 Jun 2018 13:16

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

30 Jun 2018 11:43

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

06 Jul 2018 04:06

An amazing capture.  I have seen a hand-full of impressive ground to cloud discharges (most immediately after the east coast 2012 Derecho), but this blew my mind.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

06 Jul 2018 05:03

Ah very nice, something that has become extremely rare in my area after about 97 that was very common before that and historically, electrical storms.

Lucky to get anything more than a single few strikes once every few years now.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

TESS: the space telescope that will find nearby Earth-like planets

12 Jul 2018 11:38

------------------------------------------------------
Merged from the "TESS: the space telescope that will find nearby Earth-like planets" topic
------------------------------------------------------

TESS will be an interesting project to follow, and no doubt will yield many amazing discoveries - and for its size it is a technological marvel, but I have my reservations as to whether or not it will make as big an impact on the scientific community as Kepler did or James Webb will. For all its hype - TESS was stated by NASA as more of a gateway project for Webb and future ground-based exoplanet projects. Still, a space telescope that surveys 85% of the observable surrounding stars - SPECIFICALLY at type G,K and M dwarf stars - is pretty dang exciting. Finally a project designed with looking for Goldilocks planets in mind. Might it find an Earth-like world nearby? Probably not - at least, not alone. As stated before, it needs other interlinked projects to help it. What I find neat is that it will have a greater support network then Kepler did and will let scientists not directly related to the survey request targets and conduct studies, a little like Hubble.

I guess we will see what it discovers in 2019-2020+. Its an great time to be alive.
Futurum Fusionem

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

15 Jul 2018 19:10

I love the YouTube channel The Thought Emporium (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5vCi3jPJdURZwAOO_FNfQ). It is HIGHLY educational and I have attempted to duplicate some of their projects with varying levels of success, this one being the first:

This next one is a wee bit beyond my skillset, but BEYOND cool:

I mean, how neat is it to actually see the Earth from low orbit in real time by means independent of any middleman space agency?
Futurum Fusionem

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

05 Aug 2018 11:41

A nice demonstration and explanation of the Belousov–Zhabotinsky reaction.  This reaction creates repeating, propagating waves of color, and also shows chaotic behavior.  As the title says, this is easily one of the weirdest reactions I have ever seen.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

05 Aug 2018 17:09

Very cool! As someone who has an intense interest in chemistry myself, videos like this are endlessly fascinating. 
Futurum Fusionem

MasterOgon
Observer
Observer

22 Aug 2018 01:49

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

09 Sep 2018 05:50

https://www.youtube.com/live/Ua7uIhHiyy ... au0cRMjGBA

Abstract:
Planetary systems form in the disks of gas and dust that orbit young stars. In the past few years, very high angular resolution observations of disks in nearby star-forming regions have started to uncover some key signatures of the planet formation epoch. This talk will focus on what we are learning about the distribution of disk material on spatial scales of only a few astronomical units, largely based on state-of-the-art measurements with the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), and the corresponding implications for the assembly and early evolution of planetary systems.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

19 Sep 2018 15:40

More theoretical physics mind-benders :D. Don't be fooled by the title of this lecture, it's not a psuedoscienctific rant. I found the end conclusion to be much more eloquent.

[youtube]2DIl3Hfh9tY[/youtube]

Also, if possible, look into the Smolin–Susskind debate, and the Susskind-Hawking battle (the latter recorded in a book by Susskind entitled "The Back Hole War". Man that sounds cool!). It makes for good reading and a healthy scientific diet.
Futurum Fusionem