Free planetarium

Xoran
Pioneer

Science and Astronomy Videos

05 Feb 2017 07:24

Salvo wrote:
Source of the post I've put this topic on my "book" too  The fact this didn't happened yet it's a proof that it can't be done artificially, or that, in the whole Universe, there aren't civilities that are advanced enough to do so.

But do you think "vacuum decay" is a real possibility?
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

05 Feb 2017 07:39

Salvo wrote:
Source of the post The fact this didn't happened yet it's a proof that it can't be done artificially, or that, in the whole Universe, there aren't civilities that are advanced enough to do so.

Or it could be a misunderstanding in physics, humans don't have all the information.  Seems more likely this won't happen naturally or artificially.

Watsisname,very interesting video.  The future of Gravitational-wave astronomy

is going to be quite interesting
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Salvo
Explorer

05 Feb 2017 07:41

Xoran wrote:
But do you think "vacuum decay" is a real possibility?

Not really. Even if it was, the probabilities that we'll assist to such an event are incredibly small, there are events that happens everyday in our universe (like supernovae or GRBs) that are orders of magnitude more dangerous than that, but still any of them affected us whatsoever in the recent 200 million years.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

Xoran
Pioneer

05 Feb 2017 07:58

Salvo wrote:
Source of the post Not really. Even if it was, the probabilities that we'll assist to such an event are incredibly small, there are events that happens everyday in our universe (like supernovae or GRBs) that are orders of magnitude more dangerous than that

That vacuum decay thing is scary, i hope it is false. 

FastFourierTransform
Astronaut

05 Feb 2017 10:31

I was having an epiphany while exploring the HiRISE images, so I decided to make a Cinematic video of a small chunk of Valles Marineris taken by the MRO a few years ago:

Hope you like it :)

Watsisname
Pioneer

05 Feb 2017 18:28

Salvo wrote:
Source of the post The fact this didn't happened yet it's a proof that it can't be done artificially, or that, in the whole Universe, there aren't civilities that are advanced enough to do so.

Or at least they are not close enough or succeeded long ago enough that a false vacuum decay bubble has had time to reach us just yet...  <.<  >.>

Salvo
Explorer

05 Feb 2017 23:29

Watsisname wrote:
Or at least they are not close enough or succeeded long ago enough that a false vacuum decay bubble has had time to reach us just yet...  <.<  >.>

LoL, I hope we're not scaring him too much  :lol:
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

Watsisname
Pioneer

06 Feb 2017 00:05

Hehe. Of all the things to be afraid of, false vacuum decay is one of the more silly ones.  Sure, it could be a real thing, but we don't know, and even if it is possible it's still fantastically unlikely to actually occur.  There are plenty of other and far more likely things that could destroy us. :)

Oh wait, that's not very reassuring, is it?  

*Watsisname activates the emergency EVERYTHING'S OKAY super-happy phobia-squashing button*

Xoran
Pioneer

06 Feb 2017 00:44

Salvo wrote:
Source of the post LoL, I hope we're not scaring him too much  

I am scared by the concept, not so much the actual thing, pretty similar to how i feel about black holes.
Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post *Watsisname activates the emergency EVERYTHING'S OKAY super-happy phobia-squashing button*

*turns out EVERYTHING'S OKAY super-happy phobia-squashing button creates false vaccum decay* ;)
But GRBs are probably more spooky, since they are probably a real thing, while probably false vaccum decay is not a real thing :)

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

18 Feb 2017 11:50

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB

Hornblower
Pioneer
Topic Author

18 Feb 2017 21:14

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Xoran
Pioneer

19 Feb 2017 05:24

No guarantee these videos are relevant in any way whatsoever.;)

problemecium
Astronaut

19 Feb 2017 23:23

To doomsday scenarios like the False Vacuum Decay or that the LHC might create a black hole that destroys the world, I always have the same reaction:
My life experiences so far have shown me that the laws of physics are exceptionally stable.
In other words, if the universe is viewed like a video game for example, then whoever coded it did an absolutely superb job addressing every possible bug, glitch, exception, or exploit. Never once have the laws fundamentally broken down as a system, be that when humanity broke the sound barrier, split the atom, reentered the atmosphere, created antimatter, created microscopic black holes, or formed a Higgs boson. The fabric of reality has never once ripped or unraveled due to a paradox as is so popular in science fiction. So is the False Vacuum Decay scenario possible? Sure, under our current understanding. But I put little faith in ideas that the universe has some fatal flaw in it that could lead to ultimate doom for everyone due to one silly mistake or unfortunate circumstance.
ᴩʀoʙʟᴇᴍᴇᴄɪᴜᴍ﹖
Formerly known as "parameciumkid."

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

20 Feb 2017 06:59

problemecium wrote:
Source of the post But I put little faith in ideas that the universe has some fatal flaw in it that could lead to ultimate doom for everyone due to one silly mistake or unfortunate circumstance.

Considering the universe has been around for some ~13bil years it seems incredibly unlikely any of these scenarios will happen, let alone in your lifetime.

JackDole
Pioneer

20 Feb 2017 07:34

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post Considering the universe has been around for some ~13bil years it seems incredibly unlikely any of these scenarios will happen, let alone in your lifetime.

The longer an improbable, but not impossible event, has not occurred, the more likely it is that it happens soon. :|