Ultimate space simulation software

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Science and Astronomy Videos

07 Sep 2017 10:06

[youtube]J0ldO87Pprc[/youtube]
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

08 Sep 2017 19:21

[youtube]gPdgsPTNhac[/youtube]
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

09 Sep 2017 09:55

A Swiss pilot filmed the reentry of the Soyuz capsule from a flight to Singapore:
https://www.srf.ch/news/panorama/swiss- ... ce=srf_app
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

09 Sep 2017 13:21

This is science video.... I guess.
[youtube]7uAmJwYenIs[/youtube]
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

10 Sep 2017 11:35

Yamal craters explained.
[youtube]jc-FFhdNG9A[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

13 Sep 2017 04:11

Why to not take magnetic objects into an MRI:

[youtube]6BBx8BwLhqg[/youtube]

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

13 Sep 2017 11:32

Wow.  Magnetic tidal forces. :)
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

13 Sep 2017 14:06

Wow indeed. Reminds of that Star Gate SG1 episode where they locked onto a black hole.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

13 Sep 2017 19:58

Wow indeed. Reminds of that Star Gate SG1 episode where they locked onto a black hole.
Ah, I miss that show :(

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

14 Sep 2017 05:26

He didn't create the orbital 3D path, but synchronized photos with time and emotional music makes it an awesome video. I almost had tears.

[youtube]fnVxAIid73s[/youtube]
Do you think we'll have some data from the interior of the atmosphere, or the probe wouldn't have enough time to send it to earth?
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

14 Sep 2017 13:34

He didn't create the orbital 3D path, but synchronized photos with time and emotional music makes it an awesome video. I almost had tears.

[youtube]fnVxAIid73s[/youtube]
Do you think we'll have some data from the interior of the atmosphere, or the probe wouldn't have enough time to send it to earth?
I'm no rocket scientist, but I'd wager that she will burn up well before hitting any visible cloud layers.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

14 Sep 2017 21:49

Yeah, Cassini will be turned into vapor far above the cloud tops.  Its entry speed will be over 30km/s (4 times as fast as return from Low Earth orbit and 3 times as fast as return from the Moon), and it has no shielding.  To survive very far into a gas giant's atmosphere would require some serious shielding like the Galileo probe that went into Jupiter.

Added:  Very nice explanation of some of the weirdness of quantum mechanics that can be observed with simple equipment.  (Collaboration of minutephysics and 3Blue1Brown).

[youtube]zcqZHYo7ONs[/youtube]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

15 Sep 2017 04:06

Thanks, Wat, I also like some of the ways that quantum mechanics extends to the macro level (for example photosynthesis and other aspects of quantum biology including heredity.)  I don't find it weird at all, I just find our senses limiting in how much they can perceive.  For example, there is no such thing as "solid" matter, or "particles" (in the sense that we envision them) and "locality" for that matter.  On that level, space and time cease to exist.  We relate more closely to that which we sense around us, but quantum mechanics is the math that underlies it all at the most basic of levels.

PS I also like the experiments of the Casimir Effect that we used to do.  It shows how dynamic even so-called empty space can be!

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

15 Sep 2017 07:21

As the video caption says, it is weirder than you think. :) 

Quantum mechanical effects being apparent to our senses is cool but not in itself weird or even rare.  The colors of fireworks and neon signs are determined by the quantum mechanical behavior of electron transitions.  One of my favorite examples is that the double yellow line of Sodium is due to the effects of electron spin.  The function of a digital camera is also quantum mechanical.

But the weirdness in this case involves a much more fundamental question:  "how does the universe decide the outcome of an experiment?"  The most tempting, obvious answer is that the process involves properties we cannot measure.  That there are limits to what our senses and instruments can detect.  Those would be hidden variables.  But what the Bell inequalities are showing is that this explanation does not work, without discarding something which relativity also tells us is very fundamental to the universe -- locality. 

I don't think abandoning space and time on that level helps us.  A wave function itself contains both spatial and temporal parts.  The Schrodinger equation literally says "the second rate of change of the wave function with respect to space, and the first rate of change with respect to time (with some additional bits for the energy & momenta operators), are equal.  So any philosophical explanation for the behavior of quantum mechanics requires deeper thinking.  In over 50 years of thinking people have come up with several, but they don't appear distinguishable by experiment -- they're interpretations rather than models.

The notion of space itself being dynamic is one of my favorite things.  General relativity and Cassimir effect are classic examples, but even plain old electric and magnetic fields can be described as a property of "empty" space.  They also make a good illustration of how what we feel as solid objects are just those fields on a very small but strong scale.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

15 Sep 2017 15:45

As the video caption says, it is weirder than you think. :) 

Quantum mechanical effects being apparent to our senses is cool but not in itself weird or even rare.  The colors of fireworks and neon signs are determined by the quantum mechanical behavior of electron transitions.  One of my favorite examples is that the double yellow line of Sodium is due to the effects of electron spin.  The function of a digital camera is also quantum mechanical.

But the weirdness in this case involves a much more fundamental question:  "how does the universe decide the outcome of an experiment?"  The most tempting, obvious answer is that the process involves properties we cannot measure.  That there are limits to what our senses and instruments can detect.  Those would be hidden variables.  But what the Bell inequalities are showing is that this explanation does not work, without discarding something which relativity also tells us is very fundamental to the universe -- locality. 

I don't think abandoning space and time on that level helps us.  A wave function itself contains both spatial and temporal parts.  The Schrodinger equation literally says "the second rate of change of the wave function with respect to space, and the first rate of change with respect to time (with some additional bits for the energy & momenta operators), are equal.  So any philosophical explanation for the behavior of quantum mechanics requires deeper thinking.  In over 50 years of thinking people have come up with several, but they don't appear distinguishable by experiment -- they're interpretations rather than models.

The notion of space itself being dynamic is one of my favorite things.  General relativity and Cassimir effect are classic examples, but even plain old electric and magnetic fields can be described as a property of "empty" space.  They also make a good illustration of how what we feel as solid objects are just those fields on a very small but strong scale.
I got to experience some "quantum weirdness" myself when I was researching camera sensor specs for astrophotography and had to teach myself about quantum efficiency, etc.  It's interesting how much we take for granted that works because of it.  Isn't our sense of smell also linked to quantum mechanics?  And the way birds navigate during their migrations?
Wat, do you think locality can both be kept and abandoned?  In other words could it be an emergent property on a macro level but not exist on the basic quantum mechanical level? I posted an article which stated that locality has to go for a viable quantum gravity theory to emerge.  I guess you could say the same thing about space-time being emergent, or at the very least not working the same way at the basic level.  According to Loop Quantum Cosmology it consists of discrete units rather than being continuous (which removes singularities from the math.)  So far, no proof of these discrete quantized units of space-time though.

I like the different interpretations of quantum mechanics (even quantum mind theories a la Penrose) but I haven't seen one that seems "more right" than the others (enough to overturn Copenhagen at any rate)- including my favorite, MWI and David Deutsch's variation on it and various transactional interpretations- perhaps something vital is missing.  I also agree with you about our problems with observations at that level- the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle becomes a huge factor- although I have read some stuff that there may (partially) be a way around that by lowering the margin of error by a significant amount.

In some ways, I like to think of black holes as quantum mechanical objects on the macro level.