Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Science and Astronomy News

15 Jan 2021 21:40

Thanks Wat!  Is this in SE?  It reminds me of the Nightfall system!

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

15 Jan 2021 21:47

I do not believe it is in SE yet, though it will be amazing to see. It's a pretty new discovery, in large part thanks to the efforts of amateur astronomers and citizen scientists working with TESS data, who appear as co-authors in the paper. :)

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

15 Jan 2021 21:48

Watsisname wrote:
I do not believe it is in SE yet, though it will be amazing to see. It's a pretty new discovery, in large part thanks to the efforts of amateur astronomers and citizen scientists working with TESS data, who appear as co-authors in the paper. :)

Wow, that is amazing!  How do they gather the data?  Are they using their own cameras attached to their telescopes?  I've been looking into getting into that kind of research!

Challenger
Observer
Observer

05 Feb 2021 04:55

I follow the news on the rocket company website. Skyrora company attracted me with a non-standard look at everyday things. For example, they are developing programs to monitor climate change, track ocean debris, track animals, etc. It seems to me that the ability to monitor the processes taking place on Earth from a near-earth orbit is very interesting.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Feb 2021 18:00

How far south might Northern Lights get with this solar storm?
https://twitter.com/TamithaSkov/status/ ... 1239590915

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

23 Feb 2021 17:06

A-L-E-X, the Space Weather Prediction Center is currently only forecasting G1 (minor) geomagnetic storms. So unless you live north of the green (G=1 or Kp=5) line here, it's more likely a non-event.

The most recent WSA-ENLIL solar wind model also suggests the CME will deliver a more glancing blow than initially forecasted, hence the SWPC's more pessimistic forecast. That kind of change is also quite common. Be wary of aurora forecasts that are based on CME models made very soon after the CME happens. It pays to wait a little bit for the CME to move further, so that we have a better idea of its true shape and motion.

That all being said, aurora activity can be different than predicted, so it doesn't hurt to look. I've seen aurora several times when no significant activity was forecast, and sometimes when significant activity was forecast for my latitude, the show ended up being a dud.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Feb 2021 23:08

Thanks, Wat, this explains why so many of these events end up being disappointing.  As people jump on early forecasts and make predictions of major events that dont pan out.

But the idea of unexpected aurora activity sounds like a special treat.  It reminds me of late December last year when I was in the mountains and got out of my car at around 9 PM to gaze at Orion and out of nowhere I saw this bright meteor streak across it.  And then I saw a couple more in the next ten minutes and I still wonder if that was a freak occurrence or some meteor shower that isn't listed.  I only saw 3-4 meteors but they were very bright and quite long streaks.  It was between Xmas and New Years (on the 28th if I remember correctly) and around 9 PM in the Poconos.

midtskogen
World Builder
World Builder

23 Feb 2021 23:29

Some very minor aurora visible from 69N in Norway last night.  I would say no more than one could expect during an average night.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI